Man Fights to Save Pit Bull, Denver Changes Policy

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » September 2nd, 2008, 4:45 pm

Same subject as my other thread, but this one has a video (and that one turned into something else. lol) I just think it bears well for the fight in Denver for this to have come to the public eye...

Oh - and he's not going to Best Friends, he's going to Missouri... I don't see why they can't just stay in Colorado? The majority of the state is pit bull friendly and there is a state-wide ban on BSL... but at least lets them know we aren't giving up or giving in.

http://cbs4denver.com/local/%20Pit.Bull ... 07263.html

DENVER (AP) ― Animal lovers around the world rallied for the release of a pit bull from Commerce City. Now Forrest is free thanks to their efforts and his owner's fight sparked a change in city policy.

"A lot of people don't think dogs are like kids but this is my son," Chris McGahey said.

Forrest is a 2-year-old pooch McGahey raised from a pup. His only fault is he loves to run, according to McGahey. Last month Forrest escaped from their home in Commerce City and was picked up by animal control in Denver where officers decided he looked like a pit bull -- a breed banned there. They decided Forrest would be euthanized.

"It hurts. It hurts real bad especially when I'm innocent," McGahey said. "I didn't live in Denver."

Doug Kelley, Director of Animal Control, says it's the second time Forrest ended up in Denver.

"I fought as hard as I could," McGahey said. "I've been here every day and brought him treats and showed these people I love my boy."

McGahey's fight to save Forrest's life would take on a life of its own. Animal lovers from around the world took up the cause and even the Mayor's Office got involved negotiating a compromise. Forrest will live, but in another state. A shelter in Missouri agreed to find him a new home.

"What came out we think is a win/win for everybody," Kelley said.

"I hope just one day this ban will be dropped and they won't be able to discriminate against one kind of breed. It's not right," McGahey said.

Under its new policy, Denver Animal Control says all non-violent pit bulls, like Forrest, will be candidates for placement at an out-of-state shelter.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby pmashaney81 » September 3rd, 2008, 1:16 am

it sounds like he is headed to Missouri Pit Bull Rescue in Independence. It is a great organization.

I am a big fan and will probably volunteer there if we ever make it to Missouri.
Judge the deed, not the breed.

Jezebelle (AmStaff/Catahoula Cur) - b. 08/05/07
Justus (AmStaff/American Bulldog) - b. 08/09/07
Shelby - (APBT) - Rescue
Evie (Chihuahua) - b. 12/24/04
Percival - Rescued Kitty of mass proportions :)
pmashaney81
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby gmorales » September 9th, 2008, 1:48 am

This story is so sad, why do we allow them to ban the breed? How can we stop them? I believe the city council from my area will be be going to Austin in 2009 with this same issue. I am afraid for my boys.
Cyclops Mama

Pookie - 7 yr.old F-cat runs the home with an iron paw
Cyclops - Pitbull: My little boy
Hercules:1 1/2 yr. old rott; Daddys boy
Spider:1 1/2 yr old feline thinks he is a dog
"What lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny
matters compared to what lies within us."
gmorales
Just Whelped

Postby Tiger » September 17th, 2008, 11:05 pm

gmorales wrote:This story is so sad, why do we allow them to ban the breed? How can we stop them? I believe the city council from my area will be be going to Austin in 2009 with this same issue. I am afraid for my boys.

You fight and fight to keep it from happening. It is hard to stop them once they start - so you keep them from getting a foothold! Keep collecting those signatures for the Texas petition and keep an eye on the NTBBC.com board for updates on the march in Austin - now tentatively scheduled for 12/14.

~Tiger
Doja; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD
Gracie; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Come visit http://NTBBC.com - "Changing One Mind At A Time"
You are given but one life to live, use it wisely....
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL