Ingrid Newkirk at it again

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby LMM » January 29th, 2009, 10:02 pm

This lady seriously makes me want to jaw jack her on sight :cuss:

http://www.dailynews.com/search/ci_11576438

Save suffering pit bulls by curtailing breeding
By Ingrid E. Newkirk
Updated: 01/28/2009 07:40:38 PM PST

AS someone who has spent 25 years rescuing pit bulls from conditions we wouldn't visit on our worst enemies, I applaud the city of Lancaster's adoption this week of an ordinance requiring all pit bulls to be spayed or neutered.

Pit bull breeding bans truly are needed to protect the public as well as the pit bulls themselves, probably the most abused breed in dogdom.

Through no fault of their own, pit bulls have become the dog of choice for people who don't know or care about dogs and who want this particular dog only because a pit is a "macho" possession - a reflection of the image they want for themselves.

Most of these dogs live on chains - if you can call it living - attached to a stake, metal drum or dilapidated doghouse. To make them "mean," they are often starved and beaten. They are not social, or if they are, they are not to be trusted around children or other animals, especially small ones. They are hardheaded by nature and suffer the brunt of that trait, too, by being treated abominably.

PETA's staff has cared for a mother pit who weighed about a third of what she should have weighed - her hip, back and rib bones protruding. We euthanized her worm-infested, scared-to-death, unsocialized young pups. If someone wants a puppy, there are more than enough other puppies to choose from in local shelters - ones who will not have to go through an ordeal to be socialized.

This particular mother dog had been chained to a male pit who
Advertisement
EarthShare
dragged her wherever he wanted to go on his small chain, periodically turning to attack her. She was as sweet a being as anyone could ever want, or so it seemed, but she was no sweeter or more deserving of a home than all the dogs on Death Row in shelters. Also wonderful was the male pit we found in this same yard with his chain embedded into his festering neck. The family had two more pits, and they wished to breed them and sell the pups.

This story was not unusual. We were not surprised. We also had two huge, strong "bruiser pits," as we call them, in our custody who were so difficult to handle that only a very strong person could walk them, one at a time.

They came from a yard where they lived on chains, and after we sterilized them (free of charge in our clinic), they had to go back there. They will die on those chains one day, and they are dangerous. They are fine around adult humans, but they get fixated on any small dog or cat and work as a pair if they can, equally excited and unmanageable. This is not unusual for pits. If I said this about a collie or a beagle, it would be surprising.

Please consider this: It is safer for other dogs and for small children to have a chance encounter with a poodle, cocker spaniel or mixed hound than it is for them to have one with a pit bull. Of course, that's a generalization, but it's also true.

If you had a Chihuahua or a child and someone said, "Behind Door A is a pug or a Labrador, and behind Door B is a pit; you choose which door we will open," which door would you choose? Right.

So, knowing that pits and pit mixes are responsible for more attacks than other dogs - not just fatal attacks, but ones in which an eye or limb or self-confidence is lost for life - is it right to suggest that people should continue breeding this kind of dog? Especially when other wonderful dogs are crying out for homes?

There are more reasons for pit bull breeding bans, but these are just a few.

Ingrid E. Newkirk is the president and founder of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which can be reached via www.PETA.org.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Hoyden » January 29th, 2009, 10:08 pm

One of these days, I'm going to go visit that bloody friggin' woman with my Birdie.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby BigDogBuford » January 29th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Just reading that woman's name makes my sphincter squelch shut.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 30th, 2009, 8:52 am

BigDogBuford wrote:Just reading that woman's name makes my sphincter squelch shut.

That was completely eloquent, and totally true.

I'm contemplating euthanizing Inara because it's safer for her - I could start abusing her one day. Why put her through even that chance? :rolleyes2:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby DemoDick » January 30th, 2009, 9:47 am

Ingrid Newkirk is a nut, and a publicity whore. The woman has said she wants to be cannibalized after she dies in protest of animals killed for human consumption. Unfortunately, most people don't get to see the really dark side of PETA and only know the more moderate public face.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TinaMartin » January 30th, 2009, 10:34 am

I hate her.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL