HSUS Rec's Evaluating Dogs as Individuals

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 4:25 pm

http://news.bestfriends.org/index.cfm?p ... 4E52B91634

Comment section on website posted above.

The Humane Society of the United States on February 23 issued an interim policy recommending all dogs be evaluated as individuals, and is calling a meeting of leading animal welfare organizations concerning dogs victimized by dog fighting.

Wayne Pacelle, chief executive officer and president of the Humane Society of the United States, suggested the meeting of major stakeholders in Las Vegas to work through the associated issues. This meeting is in response to concerns expressed by Best Friends Animal Society in December 2008 regarding HSUS policies related to animals confiscated in dog-fighting busts.

Pacelle said the meeting, scheduled for April, will include the participation of national stakeholder organizations that deal with pit bulls. The meeting was in the planning stages before Superior Court Judge Ed Wilson Jr. ruled that 145 pit bulls, including approximately 70 puppies, confiscated from Wildside Kennels in Wilkes County, North Carolina, would be euthanized without evaluation to determine suitability for placement.

The new interim policy announced by the HSUS, pending the outcome of the meeting, recommends that local law enforcement and animal control evaluate such dogs as individuals rather than as a category before any decision is made regarding their future.

“We expect government, corporations, and individuals to constantly re-evaluate how they deal with animal issues,” Pacelle said. “Likewise, we regularly review our own policies and procedures here at HSUS, and we think it is important to talk with professional colleagues in the movement to examine issues related to the disposition of fighting dogs.

“I am pleased to discuss these issues with personnel from Best Friends and other organizations interested in the welfare of pit bulls.”

Julie Castle, director of Community Programs and Services for Best Friends said, “There had been more than enough airing of feelings and outrage that the dogs were not evaluated prior to being summarily euthanized. It was time to hit the reset button on this in order to move things forward in a constructive way. Mr. Pacelle was open and receptive to what we had to say and we are looking forward to our meetings in April.”

Best Friends, through its campaign, “Pit Bulls: Saving America’s Dogs,” is looking forward working cooperatively with HSUS, according to Castle.

The campaign is aimed in part at educating the public and the media about pit bulls in order to help save the breed’s reputation. “Our goal is to bring positive change to lives and image of pit bulls,” she said.

Written by Best Friends staff

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » February 24th, 2009, 5:31 pm

I received this earlier. Nice of them to re-evaluate this now. After all those dogs were systematically destroyed :rolleyes2:

Yea, me thinks HSUS is feeling a mighty strong backlash from their actions.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Well, better late than never, I guess. :neutral:

Let's hope the HSUS keeps heading in this positive direction, paws crossed.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2009, 6:36 pm

What a totally revolutionary new concept... individual evaluation! :shock: :doh:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DemoDick » February 25th, 2009, 9:57 am

HSUS is as bad as PETA. They are both extremist organizations hell-bent on pushing an AR agenda.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby BullyLady » February 25th, 2009, 2:49 pm

DemoDick wrote:HSUS is as bad as PETA. They are both extremist organizations hell-bent on pushing an AR agenda.

Demo Dick

Exactly.....
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL