ACOs See Rise In Abandoned Dogs

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Marinepits » January 28th, 2010, 12:19 pm

http://www.ctpost.com/default/article/A ... 336049.php

great pics on website

Animal control officials seeing a rise in abandoned dogs
By Kate Ramunni, STAFF WRITER
Published: 12:04 a.m., Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Eight-month-old Rocky has Seymour's animal control officials eating out of his hand -- or rather, he eats out of their hands.

The handsome pit bull-boxer mix has won the hearts of Assistant Animal Control Officer Debbie Ice and the staff of volunteers who work at the Silvermine Road shelter. But three weeks ago, his situation was drastically different and potentially life-threatening.

Rocky and two other pit bull mixes were dumped off, likely at a reservoir near the shelter and across from the town's landfill, where they were found Jan. 6 desperately forging for food, Ice said.

The three are part of a larger group of dogs, all pit bull mixes, that have been turning up in Valley animal shelters. There are five now at the Seymour shelter, Ice said, when last year, there was only one there for the entire year.

In Oxford, several pit bulls have been picked up, which also is out of the ordinary, Animal Control Officer Sandy Merry said. Ansonia also has several, she said.

Ice said she believes the dogs may be "washouts" -- pit bulls that trainers reject as fighters because of their sweet personalities.

"Maybe they tried to get them to fight and they wouldn't," she said, "so they threw them away."

"None of these dogs have what it takes to be a fighter," she said. "They are all very loving; they love people, and they love other dogs."

The three dogs were in horrible condition when she found them, Ice said.

"They were all bones," she said.

But despite their plight, the dogs all came bounding to her when called, she said, and were happy to jump into her car.

Another dog, a small brown pit bull mix, was found near Bungay School and appears to have been someone's pet, but no one has called looking for it, Ice said. Another white pit bull-bull terrier mix dubbed "Spuds McKenzie" -- after the dog used in Budweiser beer commercials -- was picked up in French Memorial Park, a common place for people to abandon their pets, Ice said.

"They dump them at the park and at the reservoir because they know they won't be seen there," she said.

The small brown dog has been named Princess because that is what she is, volunteer Debbie McKeown said. She and her daughter Rachel, 13, have volunteered at the shelter since September and have worked with the dogs since their arrival.

"They see us coming, and they know they're going to get a snack," she said of the dogs.

"They all have different personalities," Rachel said.

When they first arrived, they were rambunctious, but now "they're calmer and more trained," she said. "They were pretty jumpy, but they've gotten better."

Trainer Ron Mullen has volunteered to work with the animals to get them prepared to go to new homes, Ice said. He will work with one dog in particular, a brindle male named Roscoe, who has shown evidence of having been abused, she said.

Homes are being sought for all of the dogs.

The cost to adopt them is

$50 each -- $5 of which

goes to the town and $45

for a spay/neutering certificate. To adopt a dog, call Seymour Assistant Animal Control Officer Debbie Ice at 203-465-2604.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 28th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Even though it's sad that they were abandoned, it was nice how readily the ACO's and shelter staff were willing to adopt them out. You don't get to hear about that very much. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » January 28th, 2010, 1:42 pm

That has been an interesting phenomenon of this economic downturn. We all expected to see an increase in animals in the shelter at the beginning of 2009 but didn't. We are now seeing an uptick in the number of dogs being picked up in remote locations, a couple of weeks ago we picked up an Australian Shep and a Great Dane that had been huddled one on top of the other for warmth...very sad...and have more being turned into the shelter that we are certain it's the owner who is leaving (the dogs freak out).

I'm wondering if folks are now reaching the end of their ropes and are now down to feeling like they have no resources left so the family pet has to go?
airwalk
I live here

Postby Ino » January 29th, 2010, 8:40 pm

This story is particularly upsetting to me because a few years ago an aunt told me that is what happened to the Brittany our family had when I was young (not for the same reason, but the same outcome). We were moving from NJ to FL when I was 12 and one day I came home from school with a leather collar I made for Duke in my leather shop elective and went to put it on him and he was gone. I was told Duke could not move with us because since he was an outdoor dog (due to him being untrained), he would not survive the Florida heat. He supposedly went to live on a farm with a guy that hunted a lot so Duke would have a great life. Sadly, that was not true. A few years ago my aunt told me he was taken out into the Pine Barrens and released. I was devistated. Eventhough he was an outdoor dog and not as social as the collie we had prior, I still loved him. Honestly, compared to the treatment he received prior to being released, I have come to terms that he may just have been better off (eventhough that is probably my way of trying to deal with the horrible reality). He was harshly punished and became so fearful and isolated, he ran away every chance he got. He also ended up tearing a neighborhood kid up one time when he got loose and my brother and I and were trying to catch him. The kid came up and asked if he bit and we said no because he never had. The kid cornered him with his arms extended out and the dog just lashed out. The dog bit his arms bad enough that he had to get a lot of stitches and my parents had to pay the bill. There were a lot of factors involved (the dog's prior treatment, the way the kid approached, the kid was cross eyed), but all came back to fear. I have never understood how someone could let their companion go like that and expect them to be able to survive on their own. I sometimes find myself searching Brittany's on places like petfinder in hopes of finding Duke- eventhough I know he would not still be alive- even if someone took him in, since that was 19 years ago. I honestly wish that fact was kept from me for the rest of my life because it hurts to know that my beloved pet was thrown out like that. His lack of training and bad behavior was not his fault. :( >(
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL