Oh, Ontario. How much more sense can you make?

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby call2arms » February 1st, 2011, 10:58 pm

If you live in Ontario, you can't keep a pit bull.

BUT, tigers are ok! YOU CAN EVEN HAVE KIDS COME OVER TO TAKE PICTURES OF THEM ON YOUR PROPERTY! While the tiger is on leash though.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20100110/tiger_death_100110/

This nonsense makes me ashamed to be Canadian. Not only are wild cats truly dangerous to keep on a private property, but they should just not be pets. They should be free in their own environment, not living a neurotic life in someone's backyard.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » February 2nd, 2011, 8:16 am

Uh, hello?!?! Tigers don't have locking jaws. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 2nd, 2011, 9:55 am

:nono:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Pit♥bull » February 2nd, 2011, 10:50 am

iluvk9 wrote:Uh, hello?!?! Tigers don't have locking jaws. :)

:ROFL2: :ROFL2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby copperlegend » February 2nd, 2011, 11:44 am

Pit♥Bull wrote:

Or a brain prone to swelling.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TinaMartin » February 2nd, 2011, 1:41 pm

copperlegend wrote:
Pit♥Bull wrote:

Or a brain prone to swelling.

:spit:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby DemoDick » February 2nd, 2011, 3:12 pm

Screw all that. You should be able to have a tiger. I would support completely abolishing any and all "dangerous" or "wild" animal statutes immediately.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Jenn » February 2nd, 2011, 4:40 pm

Hmmmm, unreal
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby call2arms » February 3rd, 2011, 12:26 am

Demo, I hope you're sarcastic. But you're probably not.

Why should you be able to own a wild animal? Just cause you think that the laws shouldn't keep us from doing things in general? What about the tiger's standpoint? And I mean this in a non-attacking way, I just don't understand why it makes sense to you.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby DemoDick » February 3rd, 2011, 8:48 am

call2arms wrote:Demo, I hope you're sarcastic. But you're probably not.

Why should you be able to own a wild animal? Just cause you think that the laws shouldn't keep us from doing things in general? What about the tiger's standpoint? And I mean this in a non-attacking way, I just don't understand why it makes sense to you.

Why should anyone be able to tell me I *can't* own a wild animal?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby call2arms » February 4th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Why would you want to own a wild animal? I understand someone shouldn't tell you what to and not to do, but beyond that... Is that the only reason?

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby DemoDick » February 5th, 2011, 8:57 am

call2arms wrote:Why would you want to own a wild animal? I understand someone shouldn't tell you what to and not to do, but beyond that... Is that the only reason?

Replace "wild animal" with "Pit Bull". We hear that all the time.

A lot of people own wild animals-raccoons, skunks, etc. For me, it's a matter of private property. If I am financially able to properly care for and maintain a big cat in a secure manner that doesn't endanger anyone else, then no one has any business preventing me from doing so.

Of course I don't actually want a tiger (though a liger would be pretty sweet), but I would like the option of owning one. As it stands, I can't even own a Savannah Cat in NY without a USDA Class C exhibitors license, which is basically impossible to obtain unless you are a zoo.

I think about 85 percent of the laws and regulations we live under are unnecessary and too restrictive. Maybe more than that actually.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby copperlegend » February 5th, 2011, 9:15 am

Savannah cats ARE pretty sweet...
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby call2arms » February 5th, 2011, 3:16 pm

But the dude in the article got killed by his own tiger and the same tiger inujred a child on his property.

To me there's a huge difference between a pit bull, a domesticated animal, vs. a wild animal that could and would eat you for dinner in the wild.

Even if I had the option, I would not own one for many reasons. Those reasons being that to me, wild animals remain in the wild, we've domesticated enough animals already. Plus, a lot of those species (thinking of big cats) are endangered, so they shouldn't be in someone's backyard, they should be surviving out there and breeding. And I also believe it's not very smart to take an animal away from it's natural habitate and submit it to the stress of living with humans, for our own amusement.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby DemoDick » February 5th, 2011, 4:57 pm

call2arms wrote:But the dude in the article got killed by his own tiger and the same tiger inujred a child on his property.

Yep. Freedom carries an inherent element of risk. I would rather be free to choose than have my options limited by laws designed to protect me from myself.

To me there's a huge difference between a pit bull, a domesticated animal, vs. a wild animal that could and would eat you for dinner in the wild.

I see both as issues of private property. Until my tiger endangers someone else, it's no one's business but my own. When it does, then government can and should get involved.

Even if I had the option, I would not own one for many reasons. Those reasons being that to me, wild animals remain in the wild, we've domesticated enough animals already. Plus, a lot of those species (thinking of big cats) are endangered, so they shouldn't be in someone's backyard, they should be surviving out there and breeding. And I also believe it's not very smart to take an animal away from it's natural habitate and submit it to the stress of living with humans, for our own amusement.

Are you okay with zoos?

I'm not talking about an endangered animal, nor am I talking about domesticating a wild one. I'm talking very strictly about the concept of private property rights. And nature is a hell of a lot more cruel than I would be. Guaranteed food, vet care, no threat of being poached, and hugs from your truly are in short supply in the wild. But that's a tertiary issue and isn't really relevant to what I'm getting at.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » February 5th, 2011, 5:06 pm

One other thing...there are lots of reasons to be ashamed to be Canadian, and none of them involve a dumbass with a tiger putting kids at risk. ;)

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby call2arms » February 5th, 2011, 10:34 pm

I agree that you should have the choice to endanger yourself, but if every second of your neighbors decided to purchase a tiger, chances are one of them would end up hurting someone else than "yours truly". But in a concept of private property, I guess the tigers equals a gun, or a millitary tank, in your line of tought. I agree with the concept, in an ideal world where people would have more than half a brain. But sadly, not everyone has a moral sense of what to do and what not to do with their private property.

No, I'm not ok with zoos and try to stay away from them (my inlaws live across the Granby zoo, been with my BF for 8 years, never set foot in that zoo). The only thing that I find is good about them, is that they sometimes can provide a way to "save" some species with breedings, but even there... That could be done away from the public, in better settings (some zoos are better than others). And a large part of endangered species (I know, not what you're getting at), are endangered because of humans. Seems a little idiotic to me to destroy their natural environment for our profit, and then have to put them in enclosures in front of thousands of people to save them.

Nature is already cruel enough, no need for dumbass humans to get mixed in there and make it harder.

There are millions of resaons to be ashamed of being Canadian, American or a human, in my opinion. What were those reasone you were thinking of in particular? (I'm not sure I want to know, :D )

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby DemoDick » February 5th, 2011, 10:55 pm

call2arms wrote:I agree that you should have the choice to endanger yourself, but if every second of your neighbors decided to purchase a tiger, chances are one of them would end up hurting someone else than "yours truly". But in a concept of private property, I guess the tigers equals a gun, or a millitary tank, in your line of tought. I agree with the concept, in an ideal world where people would have more than half a brain. But sadly, not everyone has a moral sense of what to do and what not to do with their private property.

I'm simply not worried about what my neighbors *might* do enough to support legislation designed to prevent them from doing those things. I see no need to control them in their day-to-day affairs, until they place someone else in danger or harm them in some way.

There are millions of resaons to be ashamed of being Canadian, American or a human, in my opinion. What were those reasone you were thinking of in particular? (I'm not sure I want to know, :D )

Your gun control laws suck donkey balls and you guys say "aboot". And Celine Dion. Thanks, assholes.

Trailer Park Boys makes up for some if it though.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby call2arms » February 5th, 2011, 11:57 pm

Gun control laws. I don't miss what I've never had, living fine without a gun and don't see a need for one.
When I was behind the cash during a hold-up, I was really, really glad that the asshole was menacing me with a knife and not at gunpoint.

Aboot? As in, a bad pronunciation of about? No one says that in my neck of the woods... That I know of.
100% agreed about Celine, she's hated here too. I didn't breed her, so I'm not an asshole though. Plus, if she's big in the U.S, some people like her there too.

I can think of many other things other than Trailer Park boys to make up for this.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby DemoDick » February 6th, 2011, 8:20 am

call2arms wrote:Gun control laws. I don't miss what I've never had, living fine without a gun and don't see a need for one.

You have health insurance, right? Same principle as a firearm. You don't need it until you do, and at that point it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Aboot? As in, a bad pronunciation of about? No one says that in my neck of the woods... That I know of.
100% agreed about Celine, she's hated here too. I didn't breed her, so I'm not an asshole though. Plus, if she's big in the U.S, some people like her there too.

We have a plan to deal with her fans. :)

I can think of many other things other than Trailer Park boys to make up for this.

In reality, Rush makes up for most of it.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Next

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL