This is really happening to my friends. =(

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby pitsnok » April 9th, 2011, 5:44 pm

http://www.news9.com/story/14412510/ong ... milys-home

Jacqueline Sit, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A utility worker is pressing charges against the owners of a pack of dogs after he crossed into the family's property and was bitten by their pet.

The pet owners say this could cause them to lose their dogs for good.

Stephen Hughes and Ashley Smith say they were at home Monday morning when an ONG contractor unexpectedly jumped over a fence into their backyard. One of the couple's dogs bit him.

The utility worker says he knocked on the door. The couple says that's not true because they would have heard it. Now they're fighting to get their dogs back.

"We got several tickets on Tuesday from animal welfare for dangerous animals and we got a note that the utility worker will be pressing charges against us," Hughes said.

Hughes said the dogs had to be taken to an animal shelter to be quarantined for 10 days after the attack.

Now that the worker is pressing charges against the owners, they will have to go to court to prove their pets are not vicious.

"They're the sweetest and playful dogs you can ever meet but if a stranger jumps into their yard, they will get territorial. It's their job to protect us in our home," Smith said.

The owners say they don't know if and when they'll get to see their pets.

"We went to the animal shelter to visit them and we're not allowed to see them. This is really hard for us. We don't know what will happen to them and I hope we'll get to see them again," Hughes said.

ONG spokesperson Don Sherry says the company is not pursuing any action but the utility worker is pressing charges as an individual. Sherry says by the worker's account, he had knocked on the door but there was no response. He then climbed the fence to check the meter and that's when he saw four dogs, including a Rottweiler and a pit bull. The worker says he was attacked by one of the dogs and had to jump the fence to escape.

The ONG contractor was treated and released for puncture wounds. He is believed to be back at work.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 9th, 2011, 5:59 pm

OMG. How horrible. He saw the four dogs and went into the fenced yard anyway???
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » April 9th, 2011, 6:49 pm

This terrifies me...because our BGE workers are idiots. But they usually just "estimate" our bills when they can't get in the yard or read the meter (it's right by the fenceline). Why would this guy NOT just give up and estimate?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » April 9th, 2011, 6:58 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Why would this guy NOT just give up and estimate?

My guess is he doesn't like dogs and thought he could make a point. What other explanation could there possibly be? It's just sad. :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitsnok » April 9th, 2011, 8:28 pm

What I have heard from Ashley, the owner of the dogs, is that the guy was actually a contracted worker from a different company who was installing an auto-reader thing... umm...like an electronic device that just sends the reading in rather than a person having to do it. It's just ridiculous because they were home. They even said they were up and around (hence why the dogs were outside) and he didn't knock or anything. And those are four BIG dogs...if you so much as LOOK over the fence you would see them! Not to mention, I imagine the dogs were over by him because they heard him trying to hop over...

I agree, it definitely just sounds like this guy is trying to get money. It's just stupid because if you were trying to sue someone, wouldn't you go to a nicer neighborhood? Obviously they aren't rolling in riches or anything! She co-owns a tattoo shop, and they just recently opened an art gallery. It's just really sad. Stephen was an assistant photography instructor at my university until this past semester and we used to always talk about pit bulls and dogs and stuff. Apparently he used to live in New Mexico and had a small rescue operation that was funded and supplied by doing photography trade work with local co-ops and stuff. They actually wanted to adopt Ollie whenever we first found him, but that was back before Ollie was ready to go to a home. Then they found the bull terrier, Oxford. He was a stray that they found several months ago and after searching desperately to find his owners they decided to keep him. He's actually the face of their art studio logo.

Ashley's tattoo shop is part of a local arts district that is really taking off right now, so I'm hoping that one of the businesses will have some sort of fundraiser to help them out with the boarding costs and legal fees.
It's just really sad that this is happening to good people who really LOVE their dogs.

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » April 9th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Also, it DP my previous thing so I thought I would add that I can't imagine the ONG guy will succeed in court, but still...can you imagine?

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2011, 1:38 am

pitsnok wrote:Also, it DP my previous thing so I thought I would add that I can't imagine the ONG guy will succeed in court, but still...can you imagine?

Sadly, not only will he likely succeed, he'll probably get a nice chunk of change. Personal responsibility is not part of the court system in general. Dogs contained on their own property inside of a properly fenced yard SHOULD not be in this situation, but look at what's happening....

Please keep us updated on this.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitsnok » April 11th, 2011, 1:32 am

Ack, Michelle. I hope you're wrong. =(

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DemoDick » April 12th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Sounds like a trespasser made a REALLY dumb decision and is now trying to cash in on his own stupidity. In any just system he would have been laughed out of the courthouse.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Dukes_mom » April 13th, 2011, 6:51 am

Ugh, what an idiot. I don't even know how he can think he will get away with this. He was where he shouldn't of been, and he got bit for it. If I peeked over a fence and saw any dog (even a tiny dog), I wouldn't jump a fence. I would leave a note on the door that I would be back at a later time, and for them to please keep their dogs up.

He did something stupid, and now wants to play victim. I really hope your friends get their dogs back, and this idiot gets told off by the judge.
~*~Rebecca~*~
Dukes_mom
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » April 13th, 2011, 3:34 pm

What the cheese whiz?

Correct me if I am wrong Demo but isn't this along the same lines as a burglar breaking into your home, hurting himself falling down your stairs (for example), and then successfully suing you?

What a dumbass, why on earth would he have just kept right on coming in the backyard? I hope your friends get their dogs back :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby DemoDick » April 14th, 2011, 7:06 am

LMM wrote:What the cheese whiz?

Correct me if I am wrong Demo but isn't this along the same lines as a burglar breaking into your home, hurting himself falling down your stairs (for example), and then successfully suing you?

What a dumbass, why on earth would he have just kept right on coming in the backyard? I hope your friends get their dogs back :(

Well, not quite. He had a valid reason for being there, but the relative questions are (1) was he in the yard lawfully and (2) would a reasonable person have entered a yard in such a situation? Even is the answer to (1) is in the affirmative, the answer to (2) is a pretty clear "no".

But yes, you can be sued for almost anything.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TheRedQueen » May 1st, 2011, 11:25 pm

Any news on this?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitsnok » May 31st, 2011, 8:06 pm

Sorry for such a late reply! I havent been on the forum much lately. Our internet an our AC are down, we have a window unit in the bedroom, but I cant steal Internet in there!

Anyway, Ashley and Stephen finally got thir dogs back last week!! They held a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago to help pay for boarding and court costs, and they won their case in court! They were so overjoyed. The amoun of support they got with the whole ordeal was really amazing! I am just ecstatic for them!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 31st, 2011, 8:13 pm

Fantastic!!!

(and twitter is spelled wrong on that flier)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitsnok » May 31st, 2011, 8:19 pm

Oh also, they are taking donations for stickers as utility company warnings. I know that currently they are selling them in some local shops. All donations are now going to local rescues. If anyone is interested in donating for one, I'm sure that they might have something online, or I would be willing to get them for you guys if you mailed donations. So just let me know!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 31st, 2011, 8:44 pm

That's so awesome!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » June 1st, 2011, 5:27 am

Maybe the sign should say; "IDIOT ALERT. WE OWN DOGS."
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL