Bored off my ass.

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby pibblegrl » January 19th, 2006, 12:51 pm

OMG.

I need to find a job or a hobby or something. I am slowly going out of my mind.

Can anyone come up with interview ideas that won't get me politely discriminated against?

Either I disclose the disabilities upfront and am told 'the position is filled' or I don't say anything and that creates a lot of problems later.

:stickDance: argh.
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » January 19th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Well, legally they CANNOT discriminate against you due to your disabilities OF course, they they always make other excuses. I would just not disclose your health concerns. It's none of their business IMO.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » January 19th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Do some research with about the ADA first. I don't believe you have to disclose any disability that will not inhibit job function. Now, of course, if the job requires bending or lifting (for example) and you can't do those things, they have a good reason, but outside of that they can't legally not hire you.

The other side is if you are in an 'at will' state, then they can't not hire you, but they can fire you for any reason they feel like it. They can't deny you unemployment unless there were real grounds for termination, but they can let you go.
Last edited by mnp13 on January 19th, 2006, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » January 19th, 2006, 6:09 pm

In my past life I spent 8 years in Human Resource Management and no one should discriminate based upon a disability. Michelle is right with what she is saying. I would definitely look up the Americans with Disabilities Act. In fact, here is a link to the Facts About the Americans with Disabilities Act http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-ada.html. I have pulled and pasted a specific statement out of the law. Read below plus it is also in the link.

MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS AND INQUIRIES
Employers may not ask job applicants about the existence, nature or severity of a disability. Applicants may be asked about their ability to perform specific job functions. A job offer may be conditioned on the results of a medical examination, but only if the examination is required for all entering employees in similar jobs. Medical examinations of employees must be job related and consistent with the employer's business needs.

Good luck in your search.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » January 24th, 2006, 11:35 am

The only problem with not disclosing is if (when) there is harassment due to the disability..they can claim they didn't know about it and then ya end up screwed there too if you get fired.
Candi

pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 12:57 pm

what type of job are you looking for? and why would your disability prevent you from doing it?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pibblegrl » January 26th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Ok..here goes..

I am looking for any job really.
I can't stand for very long. I can't hear very well even with hearing aids. I have problems with my short term memory and the 'processor' in my brain doesn't function the way it should..(me and my doc's are still trying to come up with some way of helping that) I am frequently absent because I can't move or use certain parts of my body. And, I have severe muscle spasms and dizziness/unsteadiness. All of this is due to fibromyalgia. Plus, Dale must be with me in the event that a become so dizzy or unsteady that I can not walk without his assistance.

I guess a secretarial job for a small company or something similar (customer service) would be ideal for me..and that is where I have been looking....mostly it is a matter of jobs getting 'filled' after an interview with me. I have been looking for well over a year now.My doctors have been working on getting my records organized and I am going to apply for SS disability right now I get VA disability because all this started while I was in the Marine Corps and has been getting steadily worse.
:P
I really just want a job so I have something to do, so I can feel useful. The extra money wouldn't hurt either. :D (It does suck having to watch every penny)
Candi

pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 26th, 2006, 3:11 pm

How often do you have trouble with typing? Can you hear well if something is very loud or is it certian frequencies?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pibblegrl » January 26th, 2006, 3:12 pm

I can type, unless my hands hurt and don't want to move- then I am doing that key picking with my pointer fingers...heehee

I can't hear low tones.
Candi

pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 26th, 2006, 3:15 pm

what about transcription services then?

I know someone who makes her living doing that. She gets tapes and then types what the person says. You do it in your home, on mostly your own schedule and it is decent money if you are consistant with the work.

On good days do a little extra so you have a buffer for bad days.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pibblegrl » January 26th, 2006, 3:21 pm

I have never heard of that...it would be perfect. How does that work?

There are so many scams in the paper that if I did come across something like that in the past I probably crossed it out and lumped it in there with all the scam ads I find.
Candi

pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 26th, 2006, 3:27 pm

She found the work in the newspaper. Look for an ad for 'transcription services', or even ask your Dr who does their transcriptions and contact that company. Some offices have their transcriptions done in house, others have them done by a service.

I can't remember if the pay is by page or by tape, it may be different depending on who you work for.

I just opened my yellow pages - there is a full column of 'Transcribing Service' companies.

Give it a go!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pibblegrl » January 26th, 2006, 3:50 pm

Thanks!
Candi

pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Off-Topic