What are the chances?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby call2arms » March 5th, 2011, 7:36 pm

I fond a cell phone in a snow bank today. It' sin very good condition, except a few scratches on the screen.

What are the chances that it's still working? It was half-out of the snow bank, clearly had been there for a while since we're getting rain and the snow bank was melting.

I'm drying the part where the charger will go in... But am I dreaming?

It's a samsung thing, with a touch screen and a camera on the back.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby SisMorphine » March 5th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Did you search the phone for a "home" or "ICE" number? I've found a couple of cell phones in my day, and called and returned them.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby FAB dogs » March 5th, 2011, 8:36 pm

I've heard putting a cell phone in a bag of rice for a couple days will help dry it if it gets wet.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby plebayo » March 5th, 2011, 10:49 pm

FAB dogs wrote:I've heard putting a cell phone in a bag of rice for a couple days will help dry it if it gets wet.

This! I had a friend who did this and it worked!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » March 5th, 2011, 11:09 pm

Don't try to turn it on for at least a few days... try the rice idea, it may still work. It's surprising how tough they are. Katrina's phone sat in a puddle in the rain overnight and had a cracked screen, it still turned on - even while still soaked - and was able to get calls.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » March 6th, 2011, 12:09 am

Turns out it's working perfectly fine, after I charged it with my boyfriend's charger. Last call was on Feb. 25th, and there is no "home", or mom/dad phone number in the contacts. What's an ICE number?

It's also been deactivated.

Not sure what to do, I assume the person probably already got another one since it's deactivated. Tried to call the last phone number that called, and no answer to that. The sucky thing is that he/she lost the contacts list.

I cannot believe it's probably been in a snow bank for over a week, rained on, and still working. They make these things very sturdy.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » March 6th, 2011, 12:42 am

ICE - In Case of Emergency

Really, that's something that everyone should put in their phone. Most people have their phones on them all the time, and if you're in a car accident the EMTs/Police/whomever have no idea who to call out of a contact list of dozens.

You still want to give it some time to completely dry out. Taking the battery out and letting both battery and phone sit in rice will be better for it long term, assuming they will re-activate it for you.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » March 6th, 2011, 12:46 am

mnp13 wrote:ICE - In Case of Emergency

Really, that's something that everyone should put in their phone. Most people have their phones on them all the time, and if you're in a car accident the EMTs/Police/whomever have no idea who to call out of a contact list of dozens.

I never thought about this, going to work on that now. It's something totally obvious but I never really thought about that.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby SisMorphine » March 6th, 2011, 3:31 am

If it's already been deactivated then that crap is YOURS! LOL!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Off-Topic