Groups Share Common Goal

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Pit♥bull » June 6th, 2011, 8:55 am

On a recent trip to New Orleans we had the opportunity to meet and spend an evening with the co-founders of Save-an-Angel. Of course, our conversation was weighted toward canine cancer treatments and the organizations to help folks make the journey. They also told us the story of Kendall, a six year old child battling leukemia. Kendall has been in this fight for his life since being diagnosed at age two.
Kendall is a huge Harry Potter fan, we remembered seeing the most amazing Harry Potter blanket that was being constructed, and the currently anonymous young lady was contacted and asked if the blanket could be purchased. She generously offered to donate it to Kendall, and agreed to let us cover material costs & shipping. The blanket is very labor intensive and will be completed by the end of June. K9cancer.org and Save-an-Angel are planning to present the beautiful gift to Kendall the weekend of July 2nd.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » July 2nd, 2011, 8:44 am

Regretfully, I must report the blanket donation will not be taking place. The coordination has been flaky from the beginning, with delays in posting about it pending Save-an-Angel approval, to changed stories about whether Kendall was at home or hospitalized, to the final chapter in the book yesterday.

After several attempts to nail down a delivery time and place, it was finally agreed upon at 2PM Friday we would deliver the blanket to the hospital Saturday at 2PM, have a nurse present the blanket to Kendall, and have the nurse snap a picture for Rebecca (dukes_mom). At 3:30 Friday instead of sending the address to the hospital, and the room number, I got a note that said he may be coming home due to the holiday and that he had the worst night ever, not sleeping due to fluid on the lungs and suspected pneumonia. It was suggested I leave the blanket with the Save-an-Angel folks who would pass it on to Kendall and provide a picture. At that point we took a step back and questioned what hospital would send home a patient in that condition?

Bottom line, we had no way to verify Kendall actually existed as the story had changed many times throughout the 7 weeks we've been planning this. We only met the Save-an-angel folks once, and I could not in good faith hand over the blanket that had taken Rebecca so many hours to make without knowing for sure it would go where it was intended.

The blanket is being returned to Rebecca with sincere thanks for her time and generosity.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Tubular Toby » July 2nd, 2011, 11:19 am

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. =( In some cases when you're working with flaky situations out of your control, it truly is the thought that counts.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » July 2nd, 2011, 11:27 am

While trying to believe that Kendall does exist....My thought is that if Kendall was very ill and being sent home, it could be the family's wish to have him home, "now".

None of this changes that it was a wonderful act of intended kindness by all of you.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby saveanangel » July 5th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Hi, my name is Kristie Sullens w/Save-An-Angel. Usually I wouldn't respond to a negative post, and it's unfortunate that we need to now. The only reason I'm here is to stand up for my friend Kendall, and to protect Save-An-Angel's good name. The blanket was offered as a gift to Kendall; a 6 year old boy who has been battling leukemia since he was 2. The person whose post I'm responding to offered Kendall a donation in the form of a blanket. It is common for Kendall to go in and out of the hospital frequently since relapsing after his 2nd bone marrow transplant. Kendall is now on a chemotherapy protocol that will last for several weeks. Hopefully that will put him back into remission, and the process will start over.

The chemo causes Kendall to have frequent infections, and to be hospitalized often. The hospital gave Kendall a break for the weekend and he checked back in this morning. Here is a video of Kendall riding his IV cart around the hospital like a go cart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfaC99gPvhQ He is a bright shiny light and I can't sit by and allow negative energy to be placed in his path. We welcome you to visit our facebook page & website for more pictures, info and updates: www.save-an-angel.org or www.facebook.com/saveanangel. Good luck to all of you! Take care.
saveanangel
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » July 5th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Hello Kristie and thank you for the update on Kendall.

The people involved from this forum, Bob, Shanna and Rebecca are the KINDEST PEOPLE anyone will ever encounter.

So, kindly get off your high horse with the "negative post" as you refer to it.

Being involved in ANY organization, you certainly know how some are often found to be "scams". On Long Island we just found out that a MAJOR Breast Cancer organization was a scam, stealing $4 MILLION.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/28/ ... ng-island/

As for the negative energy you feel here, again, you know NOTHING about the members of Pit Bull Talk. Take a look at our dozens of "need positive thoughts" threads. And we will continue to send our prayers and good thoughts to the little warrior, Kendall.

Good luck to you, my Dear. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » July 9th, 2011, 11:44 am

Kristie - I understand where you're coming from but this is the INTERNET and people have to be careful who they send things to because you just 'never know'. I don't think anyone is trashing Save-an-Angel, just voicing concerns that they didn't feel comfortable with the whole situation. Rebecca worked REALLY hard on that blanket and it would suck if it got into the wrong hands.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » July 16th, 2011, 8:40 am

I am happy to report the blanket has been returned and is safely in the hands of Rebecca. Delivery was just in time to go with her to the Midnight Deathly Hollows Part 2 last night. I am happy in this knowledge.

The story has officially ended. I have learned to seek those who are genuine - in their beliefs, in their life, in their work, in their actions. It gives our lives meaning and purpose.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to Off-Topic