Mechanically Inclined People?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby plebayo » August 1st, 2011, 11:33 pm

Pit♥bull wrote:
pitsnok wrote:it IS a neon, (and yours seems to have done really well up until now), but I don't think they generally are mechanically sound/long lasting.
We've owned 2 Neons purchased new and had no issues. :|

My cousin bought one brand new and at 50k miles the tranny went out. :| I've not known them to be really reliable cars either but maybe it also depends on how much you're driving/taking care of the vehicle.

It would be a tough decision because I feel the same way. If you fix the problems and can just drive the car out till it dies I say go for it. At least you know the problems you're dealing with whereas if you get a newer car A.) you might not know as many people to help you fix something newer B.) something could go out on the new car and be just as expensive to repair, now you're in it for the cost of the new car plus repairs. This is why I hesitate to sell my truck. If something goes out on it I have at least 3 mechanics in my family who can fix it, I was able to do the brakes by myself, also it is way reliable and I worry I will get something newer that will die on me. So I totally understand where you're coming from!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitsnok » August 1st, 2011, 11:40 pm

Pit♥bull wrote:
pitsnok wrote:it IS a neon, (and yours seems to have done really well up until now), but I don't think they generally are mechanically sound/long lasting.
We've owned 2 Neons purchased new and had no issues. :|

I think the more recent models are much more reliable but I just remember hearing a lot of not-so-great things about the earlier models...obviously though, that comes with any make and model and depends especially on how well they are taken care of.
I guess I'm just partial to sticking with the import makes when it comes to older vehicles. I've only had two cars ('94 honda accord and my current, '03 mustang) and when my honda was 12 years old it was still in near perfect condition...I never had a single issue with it. but with my mustang on the other hand, it's now 8 years old and still has less than 100k miles, but seems to be falling apart more each day... ( I still want to kick my own ass for ever getting rid of the honda in the first place!... ohhhh 18 year old me :doh: )
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » August 9th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Long story short, my engine had so much go wrong when the timing belt went that it wasn't worth it to repair it. The mechanic has offered to replace it with a rebuilt engine, labor and everything included, for $1000.

SOLD! Works for me. If I decide to upgrade later, at least my car is worth SOMETHING then. I can't buy another car if I don't even have anything to sell. I should be driving around again in early September! =D
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » August 10th, 2011, 6:03 am

That sounds like a good price to me! I probably would have went for it, too.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Previous

Return to Off-Topic