Strong stomach required

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby mnp13 » October 28th, 2011, 12:17 pm

turtle wrote:That's a big freezer and would be hard to move with the frozen nasty in there. There is no good solution but if you can get the frozen thing out and find a way to get it out of the basement without it melting... but then what would you do with it? Drag it into the woods and leave it...?

If it was possible to get the large slab of frozen vileness out of it, I could put it on garbage bags and drag it outside and let it go into the ground. I suppose I could tip it over and see if the slab breaks up. But I'm thinking that it's probably expanded enough to hold itself in... on the other hand, it might be worth a try - though once it's tipped over, I'm not going to be able to get it back upright again.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby turtle » October 28th, 2011, 8:54 pm

mnp13 wrote:
turtle wrote:That's a big freezer and would be hard to move with the frozen nasty in there. There is no good solution but if you can get the frozen thing out and find a way to get it out of the basement without it melting... but then what would you do with it? Drag it into the woods and leave it...?

If it was possible to get the large slab of frozen vileness out of it, I could put it on garbage bags and drag it outside and let it go into the ground. I suppose I could tip it over and see if the slab breaks up. But I'm thinking that it's probably expanded enough to hold itself in... on the other hand, it might be worth a try - though once it's tipped over, I'm not going to be able to get it back upright again.

Yes, I was thinking if you could get the frozen nasty out, then it could be dealt with easier.... But I had not thought about the fact that when liquid freezes, it expands. So like you said, it will have jammed itself in there... and it is not something you want to be chipping away at!

If you do tip your freezer on its side, and get rid of the frozen yucky, keep in mind that any freezer or fridge that is laid on its side will need to sit up right for some days to get the freon "balance" back in it so that it works properly when (and if) you decide to use it again.

I was always cautioned about this for moving a fridge or freezer, that if you turn them on their sides, you have to let them sit for a week or so to let the coolant settle again.

With the lovely storm bearing down on the east, it's too bad you don't have it all outside as it would be buried in snow... But that might not be a good thing!

I hope you can figure out a good way to deal with it. Keeping it plugged in and frozen is a nice option until you get a way to cope with it. Have you thought of calling a repair place? Or looking on google to see if anyone else has a solution? Surely this has happened to others due to power outages.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » October 29th, 2011, 12:03 pm

And Not to Rain On Your Parade,
but I hope you are prepared
for the possibility that even after 'SANITATION'
the vile-smell may have settled into areas
that cause the freezer to REEK after it's turned back on.
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby BigDogBuford » October 29th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Yeah as much as it totally sucks, you may need a new freezer
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby DemoDick » October 29th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Eh, no biggie if that's the case. You can get second-hand freezers for practically nothing, especially if you are able to pick them up.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby ArtGypsy » October 29th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Yeah..............our freezer didnt' even go bad....but it smelled awful. :sad2:

I finally found the culprit...........the insulation in the lid was holding all the odors!! UGH..........
ArtGypsy

Postby mnp13 » November 2nd, 2011, 10:43 pm

The freezer of death was hauled outside (I bribed the furnace repair guy to help me with it.) The lid opened when we tipped it and I thought he was going to vomit (I almost did again.) We put it in the yard and I tipped it on its side and left it open for a while. Then Demo got to hose it out, wash it, pressure wash it and repaint it. It still smells like death.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » November 2nd, 2011, 11:03 pm

blech...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » November 2nd, 2011, 11:11 pm

((gag reflex engaged. Which is pretty odd, since I really don't HAVE a gag reflex..))
ArtGypsy

Previous

Return to Off-Topic