Schutzhund Trial, 4/25, Upper Marlboro, MD

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby babyreba » April 11th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Commonwealth Working Dog Club is holding its spring trial at Rosaryville State Park on April 25 in Upper Marlboro, MD. This is southern Maryland, down near where PG County and St. Charles County converge.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=rosaryville+state+park&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=WjXhSeWbFYqENryZyKAP&cd=2&sll=38.775715,-76.814484&sspn=0.006295,0.030467&latlng=38778400,-76799250,18220154057382338457

Tracking starts super-early, probably around 7, obedience probably around 9:30 or 10 a.m. protection shortly after lunch. The club will be grilling up some burgers and hot dogs, and probably selling some sandwiches, at lunchtime.

Doc and I are on board to do a SCH I at this trial, barring any serious training problems or injuries. So come on out if you're in the area.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby pocketpit » April 11th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Good luck to you and Doc! I wish I didn't live on the other side of the country or I'd be there in person rooting for you two.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 13th, 2009, 4:01 pm

babyreba wrote:Commonwealth Working Dog Club is holding its spring trial at Rosaryville State Park on April 25 in Upper Marlboro, MD. This is southern Maryland, down near where PG County and St. Charles County converge.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=rosaryville+state+park&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=WjXhSeWbFYqENryZyKAP&cd=2&sll=38.775715,-76.814484&sspn=0.006295,0.030467&latlng=38778400,-76799250,18220154057382338457

Tracking starts super-early, probably around 7, obedience probably around 9:30 or 10 a.m. protection shortly after lunch. The club will be grilling up some burgers and hot dogs, and probably selling some sandwiches, at lunchtime.

Doc and I are on board to do a SCH I at this trial, barring any serious training problems or injuries. So come on out if you're in the area.

will this be an "open" trial where non-members of the club can also trial? I wouldn't mind throwing Cy in the BH and SchA...he has a USA Schutzhund scorebook...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BritneyP » April 13th, 2009, 10:48 pm

katiek0417 wrote:will this be an "open" trial where non-members of the club can also trial? I wouldn't mind throwing Cy in the BH and SchA...he has a USA Schutzhund scorebook...

Aren't all SchH trials that way?? :|

You should definitely put the Cy boy out there! :mrgreen:
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 14th, 2009, 5:06 am

Brit, I think this club has held "closed" trials before...or for only a select group...this is only a one-day trial...so I'll only be able to get his BH...but it would still be cool...b/c then next time I can go for the A...heck, you never know...I may also throw Neeners in a BH :)

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BritneyP » April 14th, 2009, 11:52 am

katiek0417 wrote:Brit, I think this club has held "closed" trials before...or for only a select group...

Ohhhh, I see. That seems kinda silly, no? :?
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby babyreba » April 15th, 2009, 1:24 pm

no, it's not a closed trial. and we don't hold closed club trials at all . . . the only trial that wasn't open to everyone was the KG North Regionals, which we hosted last November. and that was a regional championship for members of our KG, not a regular club trial.

if you want to trial, here's the info= to follow up:

04.25.09 N DC Club Trial April 25, 2009

Commonwealth WDC Trial

Washington DC Area

Judge: Ray Reid
e-mail: freenyl@verizon.net
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 15th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Oh, okay...I gotcha...yes, I would definitely like to trial...so I'll get in touch with Lisa! I told Greg my plan is to put Cy and Ni in the BH...I guess i should probably work on learning that, huh?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » April 16th, 2009, 2:55 pm

here's a link to the BH rules, with an illustration of the heeling pattern.

http://www.dvgamerica.com/04BHRules.pdf

it's an easy routine!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 16th, 2009, 10:51 pm

babyreba wrote:here's a link to the BH rules, with an illustration of the heeling pattern.

http://www.dvgamerica.com/04BHRules.pdf

it's an easy routine!

Awesome! Thank you so much! Will I fail b/c my dogs don't do Sch about turns or b/c they automatically come to heel on recall?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby katiek0417 » April 16th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Just to confirm...for the temperament part of the test...they DON'T touch the dogs, anymore, right?

Also, will I be able to take the written test that day before the BH...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » April 17th, 2009, 1:38 pm

There is no written exam for DVG--that's just a USA thing. I'm not sure if they'll make you take the test or not, since this is a DVG trial, but here's a copy of it:

http://www.germanshepherddog.com/members/forms/BH_Written_Examination.pdf

The judge won't touch your dog, but you have to show him your dog's tattoo, and he has to get close enough to see it; or if your dog is chipped, someone has to be able to scan your dog without problems, but that's usually pretty brief and you can hold your dog while they do it.

The "temperament test" portion of the exam, which comes at the end, is where people really come closest to the dog. The dog has to be able to enter a group of people and the group may be asked to close in on the dog a bit, then mill about, and the judge who did my BH asked me to have the dog sit and down in the group as well. Then the judge will enter the group and shake your hand, and the dog has to remain neutral.

They also have you tie the dog to a post and have a bicycle rider go by, a jogger, and a pedestrian walking a dog . . . all pretty easy stuff, and the dog doesn't have to hold a command, it just has to show that it's neutral to all the common activities going on around it. only catch is that you have to be out of sight during this portion of the test.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 17th, 2009, 5:05 pm

I don't think my dog will have any trouble with the traffic portion b/c I can use obedience with him...as long as they're not actually TOUCHING the dog, I can get him past it...same with the microchip scan...I've had decoys stand over him, etc...he LISTENS beautifully...I can down and sit in a group (actually with people not in suits, it's easier to control him)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » April 17th, 2009, 10:20 pm

then you should *ace* this!

honestly, the BH is such a simple test, any dog with good obedience should be able to pass. you guys should definitely take part! and watch me screw up with my dog . . . i'm nervous!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Return to North East