Dog Sports Open, St. Johns, Michigan, August 22-23

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby mnp13 » August 3rd, 2009, 10:53 pm

http://www.ccdsa.info/dogsportsopen.html

I truly can't say enough about this trial!

Here are the threads I have written about it for the past three years.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15497

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15536

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15604

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5204

viewtopic.php?p=88676

viewtopic.php?p=70626

Last year, I pushed, begged and pleaded for them to add an Obedience Only category so that I could trial Ruby. There were a handful of entries and Ruby came home with a be-au-ti-ful, 18 inch long, third place ribbon!!!!! So, this year, not only are they having a beginner level, but they are opening it up for Intermediate as well!!!! I'm so excited!

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25704

The DSO is a "training trial" - and unlike any trial I have ever seen or heard of. What is a training trial? It's a trial where you learn as you go. Cheryl dreams up the themes and the obstacles and then Paul Hebler is the force behind the construction. We have ridden in "elevators," lifted our dogs up onto giant A frames, been shot at with paint balls, and had a horse gallop across the field. I know, it all sounds crazy... but there is a method behind the madness. Of course, you are there to compete, but you are also there to learn.

You can bring treats and toys on to the field, you can also have a martingale, choke chain or prong collar on your dog. All of them cost you some points, but it's what's works for you and your dog that is most important.

At the 8th annual DSO, A Nightmare on Lowell St., you had to deliver a pizza. (The "nightmare" part is getting lost.) Part of that pizza delivery was driving your dog across the field in a golf cart. Some of the dogs freaked out. When a dog flatly refused to get on the cart or if it wouldn't stay on the cart, the trial stopped. A trainer would come out on the field and help you work through the issue with your dog. Once the dog would ride on the cart the trial continued as planned. Sure, you're probably not going to "win" the trial if you need that kind of assistance, but you and your dog NEVER leave the field without success. Now, if there was no solving the problem, the scenario would be changed to suit your dog specifically - because it's more important for your dog to leave the field a winner than for you to leave the field a winner.

Ok, you can lose a lot of points if your dog needs help though some of the scenarios, but you can also gain them. If you think on your feet and do things to help your dog, you get bonus points. Smart handling is rewarded every time. At "Jail Break" I was quite sure that Riggs was going to break his sit when we were in the jail cell waiting to be let out by the decoy. So, I put him in a sit facing the wall, then I straddled his body to hold him in his sit and block his view; I got 10 points for that - because I thought about what was best for my dog and worked with him to succeed.

The trail was created as a protection trial, but now that they have an obedience only category, it's open to EVERYONE!!! Beginner is all on lead, intermediate is off leash.

It's soooooooo fun!!!!

I would highly recommend this trial if you can make it out. It's not like anything you've ever done before, I promise.

Here is the link to the entry form:
http://www.ccdsa.info/images/DSO_2008_I ... y_form.pdf

The obedience only entries are $35, no they are not on the form, you'll just have to trust me.

Here are two questions I was asked recently:
1. During the DSO, I assume my dog can be out wandering the grounds with me, watching people compete?

Yes and no. People are welcome to have their dogs with them the entire time at the trial. However, any dogs that are not completely social to both people and dogs are allowed to "hang out" and watch. Any dog that doesn't get along with the world has to hang out in a crate when it's not on the field.

2. Are they going to laugh at me & my dog? I have this deep fear that the "working dog" people will laugh at me and my pet dog.

Absolutely not. You might see some good natured ribbing between club members, but that's it. I can say with certainty that any heckling by anyone would cause that individual to be dumped off of the property very quickly (and probably rather roughly :wink: ). Everyone involved in running the trial is there to get the very best out of you and your dog, no one is there to belittle you.

The place to ask questions if you have any:
http://members3.boardhost.com/dogsports ... 1249351086
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » August 4th, 2009, 10:05 am

I will have to put this on my list for next year. Do they always do it at the same time?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » August 4th, 2009, 11:29 am

It's always in the summer. :|

This will be the 4th time we've gone, and it has been anywhere from the last week in July to the third week in August (this year, obviously)

They fit it in around all of the other events they put on. Cheryl and Lori also get flown all over the place to give seminars and judge trials so that takes up their weekends as well. They usually have the date set in the beginning of the year so people can plan for it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » August 4th, 2009, 11:40 am

Cool!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » August 15th, 2009, 8:10 pm

Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » August 15th, 2009, 9:27 pm

I would love to do something like that with Kinzyl. I wish there was more stuff like that down here. :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 16th, 2009, 7:39 am

Oh dear god. Inara can stay, but I don't know if she can stay if there's water flying! lmao
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Return to North East