DATE:
Saturday, October 24, 2009

TIME:
11.00 - 3.00 pm

New Haven, CT
Corner of Whitney Avenue and Cliff Street
(http://edgertonpark.org/)

SPONSORED BY:
Bikers Against Animal Cruelty (B.A.A.C), Friends of the New Haven Animal Shelter, Hotwater Rescue and LoveThyPitBull.com

WHAT IS PIT BULL AWARENESS DAY?
Originally founded by Jodi Preis of Bless the Bullys out of Cookville, TN, Pit Bull Awareness Day is an event held annually across the country with over 150 events in various states/locations. The events are 100% driven by organizations and individual pit bull advocates and funded by donations in support of the noble pit bull breed.

The event is a fun-filled day that celebrates the pit bull breeds, responsible pit bull owners, helps educate those not familiar with the breed’s true characteristics, dispels the media myths and advocates against Breed Specific Legislation (BSL).

On Saturday, October 24th, 2009, Connecticut will be hosting the 3rd Annual National Pit Bull Awareness Day with the help of shelters, rescues, animal welfare organizations and various vendors.

This 4 hour event will be held from 11.00 am to 3.00 pm at Edgerton Park on the New Haven-Hamden town lines (http://edgertonpark.org/).

WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO SEE / DO AT THE EVENT?
This event has attracted hundreds of responsible pit bull owners as well as curious spectators in previous years, and with each passing year, the event continues to grow larger and larger allowing us to reach out and educate more Connecticut citizens.

There's something for everyone and every dog! There will be a costume contest, fashion show, agility demonstrations, Canine Good Citizens testing, hot dog bobbing (dogs only!), rescue organizations, from not only CT, but surrounding states; presentations by various pit bull experts/advocates, an array of vendors and SO MUCH MORE!

It's a wonderful opportunity to meet and get to know other responsible owners just like you as well as some phenomenal rescue organizations that have help and saved the lives of so many.

QUESTIONS?
If you have any questions, are interested in being a vendor, contributing to the event whether it be through the raffle, volunteering or monetary donations, please see visit our webpage http://www.CTNPBAD.com or call 203-407-8304 for more information.

Given what happened last year, I am hesitant to go. ( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26673 ) Here's hoping that many improvements have been made for this year's event!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » September 18th, 2009, 12:56 pm

If you do decide to go you will have to let me know how things turn out. The shelter I volunteer at was thinking about doing something similar

My initial thought was I would have to convince some local friends to come out with their dogs for demos and good press. I can see things like this being extremely beneficial or detrimental to the breed based on how it is run.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Marinepits » September 18th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Will do!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Leslie H » September 24th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.This year Soleil will get to participate in both the agility demo (though she'll be one of the greenest dogs there, if not the greenest), as well as the weight pull demo. Is there anyone else who would like to do the pull demo w/me? The lady from BARC hoped that some bigger (more typical) dogs could accompany Soleil.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby maberi » September 24th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Leslie H wrote:Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.This year Soleil will get to participate in both the agility demo (though she'll be one of the greenest dogs there, if not the greenest), as well as the weight pull demo. Is there anyone else who would like to do the pull demo w/me? The lady from BARC hoped that some bigger (more typical) dogs could accompany Soleil.

Ha, that really makes me laugh. I've seen your girl many times in pictures and she is FANTASTIC looking

I give you guys credit for continuing to partipate
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Marinepits » October 16th, 2009, 1:58 pm

:bump: This is next weekend! Anyone planning to attend?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby lilabet » October 17th, 2009, 7:06 am

I will be there doing the agility demo again and also CGC testing. I am glad we have the weight pull demo again. I am trying to find some good handouts on weight pull to give people who may be interested. General info on it and maybe a little about how dogs are trained, etc. to put a positive light on it. I know a few people had the idea that it was cruel and I would like to be able to contradict that thinking. Can anyone give me some good info that I can download and copy to handout? I also bought leashes to handout to people who arrive with inappropriate leashes on their dogs. We will have them at each of the entrances (I think there will only be two). And, yes there will probably be some clueless owners there, but those are the ones that need to be educated so hopefully we can teach them to be responsible pit bull (or any dog!)owners.
lilabet
Just Whelped

Postby Leslie H » October 17th, 2009, 6:47 pm

http://weightpullharness.com/TrainingInfo.html
Lil, what do you think of the info on the link I posted? I'm quite sure I can get permission to use it, the training info on the links below is excellent as well.
I was planning on doing an informational display, since they're giving me a table and tent.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby lilabet » October 19th, 2009, 5:33 am

It looks good. An info table with some good literature on it is a great idea. I think there are several people from NY that are bringing their dogs for the weight pull demo also, so we will have more than one dog to demo with.
lilabet
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 20th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Forecast is for pouring rain, starting Friday night and continuing into late Saturday. Is there a rain date? :(
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby lilabet » October 23rd, 2009, 4:47 pm

No rain date. We will be there rain or shine and it's going to rain. :shake: :rain: Some have said rain all day and some have said just showers until later in the afternoon. I hope for the latter.
lilabet
Just Whelped

Postby lilabet » October 25th, 2009, 11:07 pm

Hey, it ended up being not too bad weather wise, just a few light showers. We had a really good day with a nice turnout. All the demos went well and we did some educating and we all had fun.
lilabet
Just Whelped

Return to North East