GEORGE ALSTON SEMINAR IN NJ

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby ellie@ny » July 28th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Schooley’s Mountain Kennel Club
Presents A
George Alston Handling Workshop

George Alston is one of the top professional handlers of all time. His handling credits began with winning Best Junior Handler at Westminster at the age of 14 and his handling career includes winning over 200 Best in Shows and over 600 Group 1’s. This workshop is a hands-on learning opportunity and will include:

·How to evaluate a dog and show it to its greatest advantage.
·Techniques to enhance the overall appearance of a show dog, including breed type, stacking and gaiting.
·The psychology and philosophy of winning and how to prepare the dog and handler.
·Handler attitude and ring appearance.

WHEN: Saturday and Sunday, October 21 and 22, 2006 - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day

WHERE: Top Dog Bartley Road, Flanders, New Jersey

COURSE LEVELS

BEGINNERS:Limited to 20 people/dog teams.
Handler must be at least 10 years of age. A mature, well-trained dog will be to your learning advantage. NO DOGS UNDER 1 YEAR OF AGE.

ADVANCED:Limited to 20 people/dog teams.
Handler should have handled for 5 years or finished at least 2 dogs to their championships. NO DOGS UNDER 1 YEAR OF AGE.

OBSERVERS:Unlimited number of individuals WITHOUT DOGS. Bring a notepad and a pen/pencil.
Audio recordings are permitted, but sorry, no video.

WORKSHOP FEES: Beginners and Advanced participants -$155.00 for both days
Observers - $85.00 for both days

This Workshop is to teach the participants how to handle their dogs. It is NOT a training session for the dog. All dogs must be at least one year of age.

All dogs must be crated quietly. A separate area for crating will be provided for dogs involved in the seminar. You will be responsible for the proper care and cleaning up of your dogs.
Soft crates, grooming and grooming tables, prong collars and Flexi-leads will NOT be permitted for any reason.
A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided free of charge for all participants and observers.
There will be a competition at the end of the workshop. All participants should bring or wear “show clothesâ€
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 28th, 2006, 5:31 pm

oooh thats only 45 minutes from me!!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » July 28th, 2006, 6:07 pm

I was there last year,and it was awesome!
The only problem was that I had just on that week Pink eye..........
So I was wearing sunglasses all the time and because my eye was so painful I had to keep it closed 50% of the time...So I coudn't enjoy that well.....But we got placed anyway :D
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Romanwild » July 30th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I did it last year as well and manged a 4th place which I am proud of. He said I was close to being Most improved which is the most coveted of his seminar.

If you can't make that one my kennel club is having one too:

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1627
Romanwild
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » October 22nd, 2006, 8:31 pm

Well I just came home from this seminar,it was again a GREAT learning experience!!!!I'm very happy that we made it,because we almost coudn't go!
I think every newbie should go before hitting ANY show rings!IMO :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby ellie@ny » October 22nd, 2006, 10:23 pm

And I forgot one thing wich happened on the first day:
a Spaniel broke his rear leg....no this wasn't planned..lol
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Romanwild » October 23rd, 2006, 10:04 am

:o That's terrible! I hope he's o.k.

I didn't go to ours this year but it was worth going to. I learned a lot.

Did you earn a ribbon this time?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » October 23rd, 2006, 3:26 pm

It sounds great, but I"m not really planning on showing Riggs anymore so even though I'm sure I'd learn a lot about handling and my dog I don't think I'll be attending.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » October 23rd, 2006, 4:09 pm

It was scarry!!!All owners fault of course...
This dog was a lunatic on the leash,because never have been trained to any obedience or anything in his life,even how to walk on leash.... :!:
So George showed the owner how to do,what to practice with the dog(turns-correction),and they were outside wayting for their turn.
The dog decided to jump up,becasuse his lead was loose,got tangled in the rear legs,and the owner did a correction,and BAM!
I was sitting in the opposite side in the room and I heard the bone breaking from there...then of course the dog started crying,and holding his leg so we knew what happened....They took the dog to the vet right away,and they took care of him. :cry:

Maya was the only A>M>S>T>A>F>F> in the seminar and she got a nice blue ribbon... :D
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Return to North East