Denver Candle Light Vigil

CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY, AK, CA, HA, OR, WA

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » April 29th, 2006, 12:50 pm

*CROSSPOST*

BAND member Lisa Ransdell has set plans for the one year anniversary of the reinstatement of the Denver breed ban and here they are...

On Tuesday, May 9th we'll have a Candlelight Vigil outside Denver's Municipal Animal Shelter to memorialize the 1100 dogs that have been killed just because of the way they look. We will all arrive at 8 p.m. for an official 8:30 p.m. start time. Address and directions to the shelter are below.

This will be a solemn event, there will be no speakers, but probably plenty of media, so we ask you to please be the best representative of our breeds you can be. The theme will be about the dogs, so highlight that in your signs, specifically that these dogs are targeted for how they look. As you know, many other breeds of dogs have been identified by Animal Control as Pit Bulls that have been American Bulldogs, Mastiffs, Boxer mixes, etc.

If you or someone you know has had their dogs killed by Denver's Animal Control as part of this breed ban, please e-mail photos of the dogs to both of these e-mail addresses: lrandsdell@comcast.net and Lisa.Ransdell@du.edu. She will put them on a large banner that will show some of the dogs that have been killed.

Please bring your own candle, and know that if it is windy that night, it could be a good idea to bring a brown paper bag with you as well to keep the candle from blowing out. We will have some candles there, but not enough for everyone.

If you need help with ideas for your own sign, stop by the SorryAgain.com website to see how some of the captions of the photos from that site highlight the dogs. Many of them say things like, "I'm sorry you're scared of me," alongside the photo or "I'm sorry you want to kill me just for the way I look."

This event is to commemorate the dogs and highlight the fact that dogs are being killed just for the way they look. I've talked to dog people from all around the country who do not truly believe that the City of Denver is picking up good family dogs and killing them. People need to know this is happening here and is happening or could happen elsewhere.

If you are outside of Denver, but want to support us, feel free to have your own vigil at 8:30 p.m. Mountain Time (10:30 p.m. Eastern Time, 7:30 p.m. Pacific Time) and write to let us know what you are doing. We dog people are all in this together!

I'm going to ask you to e-mail here at ThePitBullBAND@aol.com only if you can come--you don't need to write if you can't make it--so we can get a good count. If you need further information, please contact Lisa at the above address. I hope to see you there.
Sonya Dias
The Pit Bull BAND (Breed Awareness, Not Discrimination)

Denver Municipal Animal Shelter is at 678 South Jason Street. The nearest major cross streets are Alameda and I-25. If you take the first light south, just west of the I-25 overpass from Alameda Street, that is Jason. The shelter will be on the left a few blocks down.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Return to West