Need Help!!

Postby Rolex+Deebo » February 24th, 2009, 6:27 pm

OK,
I just got a call from a girl that I used to live near, who knows that I do some rescue of APBTs. I guess she found a young female yesterday, and has been looking for the owner. While looking she talked to all the neighbors and found out that the owner kicked the dog out, and doesn't want it.
So she called me, knowing what I do.
Here is where I need help. I can take her, but only temporarily(we are now in between houses, living with the inlaws). A month, 2 at the most. I also am VERY low on $, so I don't have the funds to get her fixed and her shots. I have spent between $300-$600 per rescue I have had. And I just don't have that $ right now. If you know of a Free Sputerin, shots, ....?
I will most likely be picking her up today, or tomorrow.
Please, if you can help in any way.
Thank you,

PS: I know this should be in the rescue section, but I thought it would get more attention here.(sorry)
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 6:43 pm

Check the stickies in this section -- there are lists of low cost speutering clinics. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » February 24th, 2009, 6:53 pm

I know of a clinic in Buffalo that offers low cost speutering for rescues and they specifically target pit bulls.

It costs $83 and I believe the take care of the shots as well. If you want the information, just let me know.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Rolex+Deebo » February 24th, 2009, 6:57 pm

She can be fixed at the RAS for 75$ which I think includes the rabies.
The issue is, I do not have that at the moment. :|

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Then.....? What are you asking, exactly? :|
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Rolex+Deebo » February 24th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Marinepits wrote:Then.....? What are you asking, exactly? :|

If any one knows of a cheaper way. Or if there is someone, or some place that would take her. I know it is a long shot but I thought I would see. :? I just didn't want her to take her to the ARS. (Which is what she was going to do) They pts all APBTs. :x

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » February 24th, 2009, 7:35 pm

You could take her to Lollipop if you cannot handle the financial responsibility of taking her on. They at least try to adopt them out.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » February 24th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Rolex+Deebo wrote:If any one knows of a cheaper way. Or if there is someone, or some place that would take her. I know it is a long shot but I thought I would see. :? I just didn't want her to take her to the ARS. (Which is what she was going to do) They pts all APBTs. :x

Gotcha.

As far as someone to foster her or take her into rescue, I personally don't know of anyone who isn't already full. Hopefully someone else here does.

Seventy-five or eighty-three dollars is WAY cheap for a spay and a rabies shot. I don't know of any clinics that will do cheaper than that. You can try contacting your local SPCA or Humane Society and see if you qualify for any of their speutering programs.

The spay doesn't need to be done immediately, right? Can you save up for a couple of weeks and then have it done? Can your friend who took her in originally split the cost with you?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Rolex+Deebo » February 24th, 2009, 8:37 pm

GOOD NEWS!!! :woowoo:
We found the owner! We were walking around up and down the streets where we found her and a car pulled up. It was a lady who lived one street over that was just getting home from work. I thought she was going to kill me!! lol She ran out the car yelling "you STOLE my dog!! That is MY dog!!" :o
So we explained that we found her last night. She said her 4yo kid let her out the front door with out her knowing. By the time she realized that the dog wasn't there, it was gone. So we followed her home, she was so teary eyed, I almost :cry1:
I guess on the street we were walking on, someone kicked a APBT out, and the AC picked it up. :cry:

But :confetti: I am so happy!

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » February 25th, 2009, 10:30 am

YAY!

Now pass on all the info about low cost spays!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Dog_Shrink » March 20th, 2009, 7:04 pm

There is actually a NY state law that says if you're on public assistance or meet some other requirements that they will spay/neuter for like $30 bucks... let me find it hold on...
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby Dog_Shrink » March 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Ok here is the statue as it is written in MY State law. Read it twice... it's a bit wordy and a little confusing but all the info IS in there.

Good Luck!

§ 117-a. Animal population control program

1. The department shall establish and implement an animal population control program. The purpose of this program shall be to reduce the population of unwanted and stray dogs and cats thereby reducing potential threats to public health and safety posed by the large population of these animals. This program shall seek to accomplish its purpose by encouraging residents of New York state who are the owners of dogs and cats to have them spayed or neutered by providing low-cost spaying and neutering services to such owners meeting the criteria enumerated in subdivision two of this section. The department shall use its best efforts to encourage every adoption facility that qualifies for participation in the low-cost spay-neuter program to do so to the maximum possible extent.

2. [Eff. until Oct. 15, 2006, pursuant to L.2005, c. 534, § 5. See, also, subd. 2, below.] In order to be eligible to participate in the animal population control program, and therefore, be entitled to the low-cost spay/neuter services provided for herein, an owner of a dog or cat shall be a resident of New York state and shall submit proof to a veterinarian participating in the program in the form of an adoption agreement that their dog or cat was adopted from a pound, shelter, duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane society or dog or cat protective association.

2. [Eff. Oct. 15, 2006. See, also, subd. 2, above.] In order to be eligible to participate in the animal population control program, and therefore, be entitled to the low-cost spay/neuter services provided for herein, an owner of a dog or cat shall be a resident of New York state and shall submit proof to a veterinarian participating in the program as follows:

(a) in the form of an adoption agreement that their dog or cat was adopted from a pound, shelter, duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane society or dog or cat protective association; or

(b) proof of participation in at least one of the following:

(i) the food stamp program authorized pursuant to 7 U.S.C. 2011, et seq.;

(ii) the supplemental security income for the aged, blind and disabled program authorized pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 1381 et seq.;

(iii) the low income housing assistance program authorized pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 1437(f);

(iv) the Family Assistance program authorized pursuant to title ten of article five of the social services law; [FN1]

(v) the Safety Net Assistance program authorized pursuant to title three of article five of the social services law; [FN2]

(vi) the program of Medical Assistance authorized pursuant to title eleven of article five of the social services law; [FN3] or

(vii) the food assistance program authorized pursuant to subdivision ten of section ninety-five of the social services law; and

(c) in any city, town, village, or county which has enacted a local law or ordinance requiring spay/neuter of all dogs and cats prior to adoption from shelters, pounds, duly incorporated societies for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane societies and duly incorporated dog or cat protective associations within such city, town, village or county, eligibility for participation in the animal population control program shall be determined based solely on the provisions of paragraph (b) of this subdivision.

2-a. [Eff. until Oct. 15, 2006, pursuant to L.2005, c. 534, § 5. See, also, opening par., below.] Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision two of this section, no resident shall be entitled to participate in the low cost spay/neuter program implemented by this section if the animal to be spayed or neutered:

2-a. [Eff. Oct. 15, 2006. See, also, opening par., above.] Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of subdivision two of this section, no resident, otherwise qualified pursuant to such paragraph, shall be entitled to participate in the low cost spay/neuter program implemented by this section if the animal to be spayed or neutered:

(a) was imported or caused to be imported from outside the state;

(b) was adopted from an otherwise qualifying pound, shelter, duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane society or dog or cat protective association which included the cost of a spaying or neutering procedure in the cost of the adoption;

(c) was spayed or neutered by an otherwise eligible veterinarian who is employed by otherwise qualifying pounds, shelters, duly incorporated societies for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane societies or dog or cat protective associations except to the extent that they shall have performed spay/neuter procedures in excess of the number of such procedures done upon animals adopted from such facility during nineteen hundred ninety-four; or

(d) was adopted from any facility that as a condition of adoption, required or encouraged the utilization of a specific veterinarian or veterinary facility to perform such spay or neuter procedure. The establishment of such conditions by a facility shall constitute grounds for the disqualification of such facility to participate in the program. Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as precluding a facility from informing a person adopting an animal of the identity of those participating veterinarians in the vicinity of such facility in addition to providing them with the voucher provided under this section and any accompanying materials.

3. Any person submitting a dog or cat for spaying or neutering pursuant to the provisions of this section shall:

(a) Furnish any licensed veterinarian of this state participating in the program with proof that the owner meets the eligibility criteria pursuant to the provisions of subdivisions two and two-a of this section;

(b) Sign a consent form certifying that the person is the owner of the dog or cat or is authorized by the owner to present the dog or cat for the procedure;

(c) [Eff. until Oct. 15, 2006, pursuant to L.2005, c. 534, § 5, See, also, par. (c), below.] Pay a fee of thirty dollars to the veterinarian participating in the program.

(c) [Eff. Oct. 15, 2006. See, also, par. (c), above.] Pay a fee of thirty dollars to the veterinarian participating in the program if such dog or cat was adopted from a duly incorporated pound, shelter, duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane society or duly incorporated dog or cat protective association, or pay a fee of twenty dollars to the veterinarian participating in the program if such person participates in any of the programs enumerated in paragraph (b) of subdivision two of this section. When eligibility to participate in the animal population control program is based upon participation in a program enumerated in paragraph (b) of subdivision two of this section, the department shall issue vouchers to dog and cat owners upon provision of requisite proof required under paragraph (b) of subdivision two of this section and in accordance with any rules and regulations promulgated by the commissioner.

4. (a) Any licensed veterinarian of this state including, but not limited to, licensed veterinarians working at municipal facilities which provide dog and cat spaying and neutering services, other than with respect to animals who would not be eligible pursuant to subdivision two-a of this section may participate in the program upon filing with the commissioner an application therefor, on forms prescribed by the commissioner, which application shall certify, in addition to any other information requested by the commissioner, an animal sterilization fee schedule listing the fees charged for spaying and neutering in the normal course of business and for the presurgical immunization of dogs against distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus and rabies, or if deemed necessary for the presurgical immunization of cats against feline panleukopenia, calici, pneumonitis, rhinotracheitis and rabies, as the case may be on the first day of January two thousand one and the first day of January each third year thereafter and the number of spay/neuter procedures done by such facility during such period. Additionally, such licensed veterinarian shall certify that the fees charged for procedures and vaccinations for which reimbursement is sought are equal to or less than the lowest fees charged to a private client for such procedures during the previous year. The veterinarian shall also provide the name of the veterinarian, animal hospital, veterinary clinic or other entity to which such reimbursement is to be made. These fees may vary with the animal's weight, sex and species. The commissioner may, however, disqualify from participation in the program any veterinarian whose fees are deemed unreasonable. Nothing contained in this subdivision shall limit the right of the state education department to undertake such actions as it may deem necessary to enforce the provisions of article one hundred thirty-five of the education law.

(b) Licensed veterinarians of this state participating in the program shall provide, if deemed necessary, for the presurgical immunization of dogs against distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus and rabies, or if deemed necessary, for the presurgical immunization of cats against feline panleukopenia, calici, pneumonitis, rhinotracheitis and rabies, as the case may be. Charges for such services to the owner or person submitting the dog or cat for spaying or neutering shall be no more than fifty percent of the amount certified pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subdivision. In addition to other reimbursement to which a licensed veterinarian may be entitled under this section, a veterinarian may seek reimbursement for expenses incurred as a direct result of extraordinary circumstances which occurred during the course of a spay/neuter procedure up to an amount approved by the department which shall not exceed twenty percent of such veterinarian's fee for performing such procedure.

(c) The state comptroller upon the submission of vouchers by the commissioner shall, to the extent that monies are available from the animal population control fund, reimburse participating veterinarians for eighty percent of the balance of the fee charged pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subdivision, and after deducting that portion of the fee already paid to the veterinarian by those persons participating in the program pursuant to paragraph (c) of subdivision three of this section, for each animal spaying and neutering procedure administered after the submission to the commissioner of an animal sterilization certificate, prescribed by the commissioner, signed by the veterinarian and the owner of the animal or person authorized by the owner, for each spaying and neutering procedure performed in conjunction with the animal population control program. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions, the state comptroller shall not reimburse veterinarians for any voucher which shall have been issued by the commissioner more than one year prior to the date upon which it is submitted to the commissioner unless the commissioner shall indicate good cause for the payment of such voucher. If the moneys are not immediately available from such fund, the commissioner shall give priority to approving reimbursement to participating veterinarians from counties from which the amount of fees deposited in such fund, after taking into consideration the administrative expenses to which the department is entitled, exceeds the money paid out to participating veterinarians in such counties. The participating veterinarian shall submit to the commissioner within sixty days of each animal spaying and neutering procedure an animal sterilization certificate for the purposes of reimbursement. Notwithstanding the provisions of this paragraph, the commissioner shall not approve reimbursement to municipal facilities, not-for-profit organizations, pounds, shelters, duly incorporated societies for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane societies or dog or cat protective associations except to the extent that they shall have performed spay/neuter procedures in excess of the number of such procedures done by it during nineteen hundred ninety-four.

5. The commissioner may solicit and accept funds from any public or private source to help carry out the provisions of this section.

6. All fees collected pursuant to this section and paragraph c of subdivision four of section one hundred ten of this article shall be deposited in a miscellaneous special revenue fund known as the animal population control fund. An amount not to exceed fifteen percent of the balance of the fund at the beginning of each fiscal year, following appropriation by the legislature and allocation by the director of the budget, shall be available for the purposes of implementation and promotion of the program. Such promotion shall include educating the public about the benefits associated with spaying and neutering. The remaining monies shall be used exclusively for the reimbursement to participating veterinarians pursuant to paragraph (b) of subdivision four of this section.

7. The commissioner shall, in consultation with such professional organizations as the commissioner deems appropriate, develop a list of veterinarians approved by the commissioner to participate in the low-cost spay/neuter program who provide care, including, but not limited to, spay/neuter procedures, to dogs and cats. Any otherwise qualifying pound, shelter, duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane society, or dog or cat protective association shall distribute such list of approved veterinarians to persons adopting a dog or a cat as a precondition to reimbursement under the low-cost spay/neuter program established in this section. In addition to such distribution, such pound, shelter, duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, humane society or dog or cat protective association shall not discriminate against any veterinarian on such list or directly or indirectly require, direct or recommend the utilization or non-utilization of any such veterinarian for any procedure for which reimbursement is to be sought under this program. Such discrimination may, in the discretion of the commissioner, constitute grounds for the revocation of the right of such facility to participate in the program.
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Return to Rescue