Mom, Newborn Pups Dumped in NJ Park

Postby Marinepits » May 28th, 2009, 5:28 pm

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=6836998

Video on website!

PASSAIC COUNTY (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey say the owner of a bulldog mix and her nine just-born puppies dumped them, and he is now facing charges. Cops say he abandoned the mother and pups in a preserve in Passaic County.

A jogger found Hazel and her litter at the Garret Mountain Reservation in Woodland Park and called police after he apparently spotted them being dropped off out of a van.

Hazel and her puppies are now recovering in Wanaque.

The mom was reportedly covered in blood from the delivery, and is believed to be between 2 and 4 years old.

Officials say that on Memorial Day, Hazel had just had her litter at a home in Mount Olive. Something set her off, and she reportedly bit three people and another dog.

When Mount Olive animal control came to quarantine her, she and her puppies where gone. They showed up miles away in the park, and that's when Passaic's animal control officer, Lysa DeLaurentis, got a call from Mount Olive animal control officer William Cirone, who had the original owner.

Apparently, when the owner heard that Hazel had bitten someone, he took her and her puppies and dumped them. Once he found out that police were on to him, Cirone says he came back to find the dogs. That's when Passaic officers found him.

All the puppies are doing well. Hazel is still agitated, but the story ended well. Delaurentis says not all of them do.

The dog's owner faces charges of animal cruelty and 10 counts of animal abandonment. Each offense carries a maximum $1,000 fine. The owner could also face 30 days of community service and jail time.

To contact Lysa DeLaurentis about adoption or to donate money or supplies, call 973-616-8569 or e-mail LLDCCM@aol.com.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jnreem » May 28th, 2009, 7:42 pm

oh my goodness, poor little pups and mama
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » May 28th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Some people really make me sick! I'm glad they are being taken care of now. Shame on those owners.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby kera09 » June 1st, 2009, 9:58 pm

poor mama and babies....how can people be so heartles?!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Rescue