Speed Bump

Postby BigDogBuford » January 15th, 2010, 12:15 am

So I totally ran over a kitty on my way home tonight, after he had already been run over by another car. :cry: By the time I turned around and got back to him, he'd either been flipped or managed to crawl over to the shoulder. He let me scoop him up, and tried to give me head bumpies while I did it.

I drove him directly to the e vet where he is now. They didn't detect any broken bones during the examination but he was very painful so they gave him some morphine. They are taking some digital xrays and giving him fluids and doing some labs over night. I paid $868.00. :shock:

Please think good thoughts for Speed Bump. Hopefully I'll have some news soon. Poor guy.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » January 15th, 2010, 12:17 am

Oh man Jeanine, I'm so sorry, that is always gut wrenching. I'm glad he appears to be okay and lots of good thoughts coming Speed Bump's way. BTW...totally awesome of you to rescue him.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » January 15th, 2010, 12:26 am

Sending many good thoughts to Speed Bump. I hope he is ok and feels better soon.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » January 15th, 2010, 1:03 am

Oh, I am so sorry :( What a traumatic day for you AND the cat! It was super nice of you to stop and take him in, let alone foot his bill! :hug3:

What a crummy day for you both :neutral:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » January 15th, 2010, 1:12 am

Malli wrote:Oh, I am so sorry :( What a traumatic day for you AND the cat! It was super nice of you to stop and take him in, let alone foot his bill! :hug3:

There's just *no way* I could leave him there. If he'd been really badly injured then I would have just had him humanely euthanized, but with how lucky the little dude seemed to be now I just hope I can find him a home! Provided he's ok and all.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitsnok » January 15th, 2010, 1:35 am

Poor baby! I hope he is okay. And I am really impressed that you took him in and paid for him... that says a lot about your character!

I'll be thinking a lot about this little guy.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » January 15th, 2010, 1:44 am

BigDogBuford wrote:
Malli wrote:Oh, I am so sorry :( What a traumatic day for you AND the cat! It was super nice of you to stop and take him in, let alone foot his bill! :hug3:

There's just *no way* I could leave him there. If he'd been really badly injured then I would have just had him humanely euthanized, but with how lucky the little dude seemed to be now I just hope I can find him a home! Provided he's ok and all.

I couldn't have left him either, but I certainly could not afford that bill! There are few people that would/could do that. Again, :hug3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » January 15th, 2010, 1:54 am

So Mr. Speed Bump seems like a very lucky little dude. No broken bones that the vet could find. I'll be picking him up and transferring him to my regular vet tomorrow for a bit more monitoring. Some of his labs were a little out of whack, but not too bad concerning the trauma. His lungs are a little bruised but all in all he seems to be doing ok.

Now who wants a cat?
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » January 15th, 2010, 2:17 am

not me! :wave2:

and :woowoo: for Speed Bump
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » January 15th, 2010, 4:58 am

Poor baby, and then you name him Speed Bump :shock:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 15th, 2010, 7:59 am

OMG Jeanine. I can't imagine. But like everybody else said, kudos to you for taking him in and paying for his care out of your own pocket.

With a story like that I bet he'll easily find a home! Of course, maybe fate was telling you that YOU need a Speed Bump in your life. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » January 15th, 2010, 9:45 am

Holy crap :shock:

I think you just did your good deed for the next 5 years. I'm glad to hear the little guy is doing ok
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby kera09 » January 15th, 2010, 10:02 am

well you almost killed him, so you kinda had to save him! lol you did a very very good deed! and he is really cute!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » January 15th, 2010, 10:37 am

LMAO "Speed Bump" LMAO

maberi wrote:I think you just did your good deed for the next 5 years.
I agree :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 15th, 2010, 10:57 am

airwalk wrote:Oh man Jeanine, I'm so sorry, that is always gut wrenching. I'm glad he appears to be okay and lots of good thoughts coming Speed Bump's way. BTW...totally awesome of you to rescue him.

What Diana said!

I am SO glad to hear he's doing alright. What a lucky little kitty! He used up a few of his lives yesterday. :shock:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » January 15th, 2010, 12:14 pm

So Speed Bump is home! He was doing so well that he didn't need to go to the regular vet for monitoring at all. The report from the vet is very good. He's FeLV/FIV negative, no broken bones or injuries other then some bruising and such.

The techs told me that he gave them head bumpies and face rubs all night last night, even while they were taking x-rays! He really is a sweet, sweet kitty. Your basic male orange tabby....very friendly and easy going. Used the litter box at the vet and seems completely unfazed by my cats and dogs. He's on some antibiotics and pain meds. I got him set up in the deluxe kitty condo cage so he could get some rest, peace and quiet but he went right over to the food and started chowing down.

In the car on the way home, looking MUCH better than the last time he was in my car:

And chowing down:

Notice Betty checking out the new guy:
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby madremissy » January 15th, 2010, 12:36 pm

:woowoo: For Speedy!!
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 15th, 2010, 5:04 pm

That's absolutely amazing!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby BigDogBuford » January 15th, 2010, 6:35 pm

I hate to ask but if anyone can or would like to donate to Speed Bumps medical costs, you can donate to my PayPal. The total ended up being just under $1,000. :o PayPal addy is:

winchesterfireworks@comcast.net

Thanks all and no pressure at all. I know how tight it is for everyone right now. Thanks for all the good thoughts, they really worked to pull the lucky bugger through a scary night!
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » January 15th, 2010, 8:15 pm

that is a lucky cat for sure.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Rescue