Daisy

Postby habibati » September 22nd, 2011, 5:12 pm

i see, im still shocked about my sister, and when i had read this, i lose controle..................sorry, i want say much, but my english is not enough to say all.............................just, please ....please find a home for the dogs
Christine - Jess - Mick - forever in my heart <3
habibati
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 22nd, 2011, 5:20 pm

There are two things that I think need to happen before anything else can really be "done."

Daisy and Sepp need to be evaluated (in the works) and I think Daisy at least needs to have a complete vet work up. Not just vaccinations, but full blood panel, etc. There are lots of things that could be wrong that we can't see, and only a proper vet workup will tell that story. (Which means we need to raise a couple hundred dollars to pay for that, if it's anything like the ones we get done at our vet, the panel alone is $216. And visit alone is $35. And the vaccinations will be additional.) It is not fair to anyone to take in an older dog without knowing if she is healthy for her age. Even palliative care can be very expensive if she has any renal issues, heart problems, etc. And waiting until she gets where she's going is not realistic either, as if there are any health issues, that trip could do some real damage from stress alone.

However, it is also very likely that she is healthy as a horse, has a fantastic temperament, and will come through everything with flying colors and will live for 4 or 5 more years.

I think the kindest thing for her is to have her temperament assessed, and if that goes well, have a vet visit, and if that goes well, we can move ahead with the places that have offered placement.

In relation to rescues - I appreciate the suggestions from the people who have PM'd me, but please be aware that I am unable to "vet" a rescue at this time. If you do not have personal dealings with the rescue, or know someone very well who has had personal dealings, or have the time to fully research them yourself, please understand that I could never support handing them a dog. ANY dog.

There has been more than one case of a "great rescue" with a "great website" turning out to be a Class II pet dealer. There is a local rescue with a good reputation nationally - who is known[i] to warehouse dogs, and life in a crate isn't ok either. And no, [i]I don't think anyone here is saying that, but there are a lot of rescues out there who have dogs that are out of their crates long enough to pee and poop because "at least they are still alive."

Missy - great post.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » September 22nd, 2011, 6:21 pm

mnp13 wrote:There are two things that I think need to happen before anything else can really be "done."

Daisy and Sepp need to be evaluated (in the works) and I think Daisy at least needs to have a complete vet work up. Not just vaccinations, but full blood panel, etc. There are lots of things that could be wrong that we can't see, and only a proper vet workup will tell that story. (Which means we need to raise a couple hundred dollars to pay for that, if it's anything like the ones we get done at our vet, the panel alone is $216. And visit alone is $35. And the vaccinations will be additional.) It is not fair to anyone to take in an older dog without knowing if she is healthy for her age. Even palliative care can be very expensive if she has any renal issues, heart problems, etc. And waiting until she gets where she's going is not realistic either, as if there are any health issues, that trip could do some real damage from stress alone.

However, it is also very likely that she is healthy as a horse, has a fantastic temperament, and will come through everything with flying colors and will live for 4 or 5 more years.

I think the kindest thing for her is to have her temperament assessed, and if that goes well, have a vet visit, and if that goes well, we can move ahead with the places that have offered placement.

In relation to rescues - I appreciate the suggestions from the people who have PM'd me, but please be aware that I am unable to "vet" a rescue at this time. If you do not have personal dealings with the rescue, or know someone very well who has had personal dealings, or have the time to fully research them yourself, please understand that I could never support handing them a dog. ANY dog.

There has been more than one case of a "great rescue" with a "great website" turning out to be a Class II pet dealer. There is a local rescue with a good reputation nationally - who is known[i] to warehouse dogs, and life in a crate isn't ok either. And no, [i]I don't think anyone here is saying that, but there are a lot of rescues out there who have dogs that are out of their crates long enough to pee and poop because "at least they are still alive."

Missy - great post.

Michelle, exactly! I have offered to take Daisy and that offer stands...as long as it is in the best interest of Daisy. I have integrated seniors into my home numerous times and have given each of them as many good years as possible. If Daisy has 4 or 5 more good years - wonderful!

If a home can be found locally, wonderful!

I only want what is in Daisy and Seppel's best interest.
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » September 22nd, 2011, 6:29 pm

Steffi, I understand you are upset. Please know Michelle will do her very best to make sure Sepp and Daisy are cared for as Christine would care for them. It is difficult for any of us to coordinate because every one is a long way from North Carolina.

Please try not to be upset. No one wants to harm the dogs, and no one wishes to upset you. And we all know how difficult this must be for you being as far away as you are. I am sorry the discussion hurt you, no one would intentionally do that.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Klopfer » September 23rd, 2011, 5:06 am

An old dog that's "ill" can get healthy. Does it really matter if a dog is ill or not?! Diane, if donations for Daisys vet bills are needed, please tell me, i will help. But I will not help putting her (or Sepp, I would take him if we wouldn't have this damn import ban or I would need a written "prove" that he isn't a Pitbull-type dog...) down (better: kill one of them because they could get expensive for their next "owner")

If "love" depends on money... forget it...
They say "fighting dogs" grab on and never let go; and it's the truth! Smokey grabbed my heart and never let go.

http://www.schuldig-geboren.de
Klopfer
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 23rd, 2011, 9:16 am

Money is not the issue here. The bills have been taken care of.

The decisions that need to be made will be made when we have complete information. We don't have that information yet.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » September 23rd, 2011, 9:44 am

airwalk wrote:
mnp13 wrote:And let us all write this down as an epic day in history...

Diana, I agree completely. ;)

holy cow, quick someone double check hell I'm pretty sure it just froze over :D

Did time stop? Is the sky green?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » September 23rd, 2011, 9:54 am

Is someone still needed for eval? I can ask around my NC friends
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » September 23rd, 2011, 9:56 am

Right now we think we're set, but I will definitely let you know.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby CarolineC » September 23rd, 2011, 10:36 am

Wow.
I honestly can't believe that euthenizing Daisy was even brought up as an option before she's even been evaluated. I am not stupid, and would not want Daisy to suffer, but HOLY crap, this is a bit premature. (is cussing allowed here?) Haven't we dealt with enough death as of late?
CarolineC
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » September 23rd, 2011, 10:48 am

It's not an "option" it's a sobering thought that was put out there.

No one thinks you are stupid, far from it. When Diana and I spoke, and she brought it up, I agreed that it's something that could be possible.

People are freaking out for no reason. Diana put an idea out there, because she felt that it was something that should be thought about. There is nothing wrong with that. No one ever said this was based on money or anything else. The options that will be recommended will be in the best interest of the dogs. Not convenience, not money, not anything else - the dogs.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » September 23rd, 2011, 12:10 pm

I have no hidden agendas, no hidden meanings...my intent is simply to ensure that the full range of conversation occurs and that the option chosen is what is best for Daisy. Simply, honestly...

As I've said before, my offer stands. I have experience integrated seniors into a new home - will happily and willingly do so again ... IF that is what is in Daisy's best interest.
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » September 23rd, 2011, 12:32 pm

One by One, they pass by my cage,
They say, "Too worn, too broken, too old of age.
Way past his time, he can't run and play."
Then they shake their heads and go on their way.

A little old man, arthritic and sore,
It seems I am not wanted anymore.
I once had a home, I once had a bed,
A place that was warm, and where I was fed.

Now my muzzle is grey, and my eyes slowly fail.
Who wants a dog so old and so frail?
My family decided I didn't belong,
I got in their way, my attitude was wrong.

Whatever excuse they made in their head,
Can't justify how they left me for dead.
Now I sit in this cage, where day after day,
The younger dogs get adopted away.

When I had almost come to the end of my rope,
You saw my face, and I finally had hope.
You saw through the grey, and the legs bent with age,
And felt I still had life beyond this cage.

You took me home, gave me food and a bed,
And shared your own pillow with my poor tired head.
We snuggle and play, and you talk to me low,
You love me so dearly, you want me to know.

I may have lived most of my life with another,
But you outshine them with a love so much stronger.
And I promise to return all the love I can give,
To you, my dear person, as long as I live.

I may be with you for a week, or for years
We will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears.
And when the time comes that I must leave,
I know you will cry and your heart, it will grieve.

And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new,
My thoughts and my heart will still be with you.
And I will brag to all who will hear,
Of the person who made my last days so dear.

It's about the dogs.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » September 23rd, 2011, 8:33 pm

Caroline, the best way for you to ensure that all of Christine's dogs are taken care of the way you would like, is to make sure you are involved in this entire process. I would imagine it is all very overwhelming for you.

Many of the members here can make suggestions, call Vets, raise money if needed, get the dogs evaluated and even find them homes....all working with you, not against you. Already many of them have stepped up to help, but you will need to help them by being an active participant and making the overall decisions.

Joyce
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » September 23rd, 2011, 8:44 pm

Of course they are freaking out. Two of them just lost their mom and sister, and then the topic of possibly losing her dog is mentioned, and by people they do not know. I'd freak myself and I am pretty sure I am not the only one who would. We all realize that if for some reason Daisy cannot make the trip that she is better off not going any where except with Christine. However, until we know for sure it should not even be considered, let alone discussed publicly. Let's cross that bridge if we come to it, until let's try to find her a place to go.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CarolineC » September 23rd, 2011, 9:21 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Caroline, the best way for you to ensure that all of Christine's dogs are taken care of the way you would like, is to make sure you are involved in this entire process. I would imagine it is all very overwhelming for you.

Many of the members here can make suggestions, call Vets, raise money if needed, get the dogs evaluated and even find them homes....all working with you, not against you. Already many of them have stepped up to help, but you will need to help them by being an active participant and making the overall decisions.

Joyce

I am as involved as I can be at this point. Michelle and Dee both have my number and whenever either one of them has contacted me I have gotten back to them promptly. I am appreciative for the members here stepping up to help take care of re-homing Daisy and Seppel. If I knew that all the dogs would be comfortable in my care, then I would keep all the dogs. I have no idea what to do, who to call, how to insure that that they have a stable and loving home the way they deserve to. That's why I have turned to this board. My mother spoke highly of people here and I know that you all have the knowledge to make this happen for the dogs. I have not delusions about the good intentions of this boards members, I just wish that the "Suggestion" was handled differently because the way it was posted in public, prematurely, was a bit callous. But I guess I'll chalk that up to me not knowing you.
Thank you Cheekymunkee for your post. That is exactly how I feel and what I wanted to say, however, I am having a hard time getting some things out with out sounding waaaaay dramatic...

Now as for Daisy:
My mother has kept Daisy as an outside dog for months. Daisy was getting into the garbage and chewing on things she wasn't supposed to. We would joke that Daisy is getting senile in her old age, lol. She has plenty of spring in her step still, loves to chase the ball around the yard... She gets along with Faust and Seppel so long as they don't touch her ball or her food bowl. She isn't fond of my children and I have over the past six months tried to slowly introduce them to her as I have Faust, but nope... She's not interested.
When my mother got her years ago she had a broken pelvis. My mother gave her glucosamine chondrotin(sp?) for a long time and today Daisy still runs around like a pup.
CarolineC
Just Whelped

Postby plebayo » September 23rd, 2011, 10:41 pm

I think they want us to think they are senile so they can get away with more. Sounds like she's quite youthful for her age. Especially if she's still going after the ball!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby cheekymunkee » September 24th, 2011, 2:50 am

plebayo wrote:I think they want us to think they are senile so they can get away with more. Sounds like she's quite youthful for her age. Especially if she's still going after the ball!

I SO agree! Munkee has flipped his lid. He does the weirdest crap then looks at me like "so, what you gonna do about it?"

Caroline, I am glad you realize that no one meant to upset you or Steffi. No one here would, they truly do have the dog's best interests at heart. Sometimes, when you are thinking about the dogs, you forget about the people. I think that is what happened here.

I also know that no one here has on rose colored glasses, you NEVER know how ANY dog will react to drastic changes. I recenty moved onto a condo with 0 yard. My dogs have always had a huge yard. I thought for sure Justice was gonna lose her mind since she doesnt like change at all and she is very active. She didnt skip a beat, adjusted immediately to being leash walked and has actually calmed down some. The move didnt bother her at all. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » September 26th, 2011, 7:01 am

I was just trying to show kindness. All I know, and what many of us on the forum know, is what is posted here.

iluvk9 wrote:Caroline, the best way for you to ensure that all of Christine's dogs are taken care of the way you would like, is to make sure you are involved in this entire process. I would imagine it is all very overwhelming for you.

Joyce
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CarolineC » September 26th, 2011, 9:06 am

My phone number is 954-729-0986. If anyone has questions, suggestions, or concerns, please call me.

Daisy has her vet appointment today at 4pm.
CarolineC
Just Whelped

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue