Deaf doggies

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby marybeth » January 10th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Anyone else have one?

Sophie is completely deaf, they told us she was born that way and that is why she was returned to the shelter, twice. :cry:

We have taught her hand signals, just simple ones that work very well.
I know that deaf dogs can be startled when they are sleeping or do not know you are approaching. Sophie has a very keen sense of knowing when we are there, so I have not seen her startle much, maybe a couple of times I patted her when she was sleeping and she looked up quickly. But I can definitely see how you could spook a deaf dog!!!

We use our feet to tap on the floor if we want her attention. I am obsessive about her leash and collar when we go outside because if she ever got free, we could not call her! I don't know what she would do-probably run to the nearest person, as she has never met someone she hasn't liked. I always say, that if anyone ever broke into my house, she would give hugs and kisses and offer them something to eat! :)

She is such a good girl, gives us no trouble. Just those zoomie sessions almost every night. Now, she has taught the kitty to follow her lead, so they are like a whirlwind. She has taught kitty other things, too. :oops:

I am amazed at how wonderful she truly is.
marybeth
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » January 10th, 2006, 3:27 pm

do you do sign language with her at all for training?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 10th, 2006, 3:53 pm

marybeth wrote: I am obsessive about her leash and collar when we go outside because if she ever got free, we could not call her! I don't know what she would do-probably run to the nearest person, as she has never met someone she hasn't liked.

You might look into an RTC (remote training collar), many of them have a 'pager' mode that just vibrates the collar liek a pager or cell phone vibrates. You could teach her to recall to the vibration.

And make sure she has a good set of tags on her collar. I always recommend Boomerang tags - http://www.boomerangtags.com
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby satanscheerleader » January 10th, 2006, 3:58 pm

I had a deaf foster. My first experience with a deaf dog. I wan't sure what to expect but she was one of the easiest dogs to work with. I have always used hand signals along with verbal commands for my dogs so it wasn't much of a change for me and her focus was always on her people. She was no doubt one of my favorite fosters {I know..... I say that for them all!} but she was so eager to please and always looking to her people for direction sometimes it was hard to tell she was deaf. Unless she was sleeping. She'd sleep through ANYTHING! LOL
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Red » January 14th, 2006, 12:54 am

I could use some suggestion for deaf dogs.There is a Katrina girl at Villalobos Rescue who I am trying to work it.She is deaf and I have no experience with deaf dogs.
I still find myself talking to her! It is hard to remember that she can't hear me.
Red
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby IMurSTAR » January 20th, 2006, 1:30 pm

I had a deaf foster, he was actually eazier to adopt out than my hearing pitbull odd.. The deafdog site is great for anyone wanting to learn about deaf dogs or signing. I've always used signs for my dogs in conjunction with verbal training so it just came natural when we fostered Link. He was adopted by a family with a deaf son so the son could learn to speak with him.
IMurSTAR
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior