Meet our new foster boy!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Michael » October 27th, 2009, 7:10 pm

madremissy wrote:To Micheal (Dogtv.com) My dogs are not vicious. I don't want another new person reading this thread to misunderstand what is going on. Gotty has essentially been an only dog when he is inside a home setting. As in up in the apartment upstairs with his Mom and Dad. He was used to receiving treats with no other dog around. He is being bratty and I need the information to learn how to teach him he has to share and be patient when around Kinzyl and Sammy when receiving treats or in an area which he knows food is.

This board is for people to learn and gain knowledge if they are having a problem or have a question. So if you are a dog expert like you say you should know that every dog is different and every situation is different. If you want to help keep that in mind. Thank you. :D

That's good to know! (that they are not vicious) I am about to release a video with a dog who, although I wouldn't describe him as vicious, is certainly vicious in this attack. Again, this video is NOT a "how to" deal with dog aggression.

Like I say in the video, it's just the way "one man did it, on one day, in April of 2009, in Southern California."

I will release the video in the other thread that I created in the behavior section. I encourage anyone who has ever had to live with dog aggression, or who has had to break up a dog fight to watch though. Not only because I think it's informative, action packed, funny and entertaining, but because I think the world needs an alternative to the Dog Whisperer.

Am I that guy? I don't know. But somebody has to step up and provide an alternative to this guy before I jump off a cliff :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Good luck with Gotty!

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com
Michael
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » October 27th, 2009, 7:26 pm

madremissy wrote:
Just a little disappointed in myself and the situation right now. :sad2:

:hug3:

Right now we are totally back to the doggie shuffle.

You might have to shuffle for a while yet... I think maybe it was too soon to let Gotty "invade" Kinzyls territory? :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » October 27th, 2009, 7:39 pm

amazincc wrote: You might have to shuffle for a while yet... I think maybe it was too soon to let Gotty "invade" Kinzyls territory? :|

Yes, I think it was too soon also. That is why I am disappointed in myself. I should have waited. :doh:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » October 27th, 2009, 7:46 pm

madremissy wrote:Ok, let's back the bus up.....

First attempt at having them in the house together was a FAIL. :(

Just a little disappointed in myself and the situation right now. :sad2:

Right now we are totally back to the doggie shuffle.

But they weren't in the house were they?

The way I understood your post, one was in the house, one was on the porch. Open door, pass through, semi-tight spaces... :)

I don't doubt for one minute you have been watching them like a hawk - and that can be counter productive because just like a tight leash, that kind of tension does "transmit" to them.

Maybe actually writing out a "plan" would help ease your anxiety a bit, which in turn would settle them down as well. Have them out together on the porch. Then maybe in the living room together the next day. Then maybe doing simple obedience with all three together. Small doses of time together and apart so you can guage how they are acting.

And the second you feel at ALL unsure of how they are behaving, go right back to separating them. You must be comfortable for them to be comfortable.

And don't be disappointed in yourself. Screw ups happen, they didn't really want to get into it, or they would have gotten into it.

madremissy wrote:I broke it up easily enough but I could tell that the snarkiness is escalating.

As you get a handle on things, you'll be able to tell when the snarks are coming a lot of the time... and sometimes a well timed CTJM can take care of things for a looooong time. :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » October 27th, 2009, 7:57 pm

They get along fine on the porch but I will practice the treats out there. Porches and yard are fine. It is just in the house. Maybe since Gotty was in the house and Kinzyl was out and she looked up and saw him walking by.... Heck I don't know. But we will start over.

Ok when you say a well timed CTJM (which I know what that stands for) What does that mean. Sit them down and have a stearn talk, Yell at them, seperate them. I need details woman!! :wink: Seriously,I don't want to go off like a banchee and not really get my point across.
madremissy

Postby TheRedQueen » October 27th, 2009, 8:00 pm

We all do stuff like this...I've got a new video to post where Xander is pushing Score too much...and Score turns and re-directs onto the visiting poodle (who does, honestly need to be taken down a notch or two). I was busy trying to get "playing" video...and was pushing them all to play with each other...and they obviously didn't want to play (Score and Xander just both wanted to play ball). Things happen... :|

You came away with some good knowledge though...that it's not all on Gotty, that Miss Thing is capable of starting some crap all by herself. lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » October 27th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Miss Thing is exactly right. :rolleyes2: I think it is more like Miss Biatch!! lol
madremissy

Postby TheRedQueen » October 27th, 2009, 8:14 pm

madremissy wrote:Miss Thing is exactly right. :rolleyes2: I think it is more like Miss Biatch!! lol

Um, sorry, My Inara has already taken that title...just ask Xander. :giggle:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby madremissy » October 27th, 2009, 8:17 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
madremissy wrote:Miss Thing is exactly right. :rolleyes2: I think it is more like Miss Biatch!! lol

Well tell Miss Inara that she has company. :giggle:
madremissy

Postby hugapitbull » October 27th, 2009, 9:34 pm

madremissy wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:

Well tell Miss Inara that she has company. :giggle:

We must all have a snarky biatch in the house. Trouble doesn't cut Duke any slack. She doesn't hesitate to put him in his place. :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » October 27th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Can my Mr. Biatch join as well? :dance:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Hundilein » October 27th, 2009, 9:51 pm

madremissy wrote:Thanks Erin and Demo. Really good information from those links.

I am already doing some of those things but I will take one thing at a time with each dog, start over and do it daily.

With the clicker, I am going to have to make a trip to Alabama and see Sarah. :D I am just not getting the timing right on that. :nono: I have tried but my reflexes are not quick enough or I am doing something wrong.

I don't have any advice on this, but you are welcome here any time to work on clickering! Or we could meet in the middle somewhere :D

Practicing without a dog really can help you a lot.

And I have a Bi-atch at home as well.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » October 27th, 2009, 11:12 pm

We need to start a Bi-atch thread... 8) we can all post pics, videos and stories to make each other feel better.

(though I think my herding Bi-atch wins...no one beats a herding bitch...) :smileUp:

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » October 28th, 2009, 4:07 am

don't be so hard on yourself Missy!
Doesn't sound like anyone was really hurt (make sure to keep an eye on that puncture, and feel free to pm me if you have any medical questions)

All the Biatch boys can start an "asshole" club :giggle: Oscar can be president - the handshake and intro will be either a mount or jumping on eachother without warning :lol3:

Since I know you are super good with kids, maybe think of it from that perspective. Like trying to catch them before they get too overtired for their nap or bedtime; the behavior changes - they get grouchy with you or eachother, cry easily, squabble, pitch fits, or act out of the ordinary. So, you watch kids, and you try to get them down for their nap or to bed before this stuff happens and you have a screaming kid hanging from the ceiling :lol3: Kind of the same thing, if one seems to be having an off day, make sure the other gives them some space, or, if the mood seems to change, either physically seperate them or do so through obedience.

If you can deal with watching children, you can deal with multiple dogs :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » October 28th, 2009, 10:12 am

Thanks Malli,

And I thought I would be bored without Mckinlee here. :rolleyes2:
madremissy

Postby airwalk » October 28th, 2009, 3:30 pm

madremissy wrote:They get along fine on the porch but I will practice the treats out there. Porches and yard are fine. It is just in the house. Maybe since Gotty was in the house and Kinzyl was out and she looked up and saw him walking by.... Heck I don't know. But we will start over.

Ok when you say a well timed CTJM (which I know what that stands for) What does that mean. Sit them down and have a stearn talk, Yell at them, seperate them. I need details woman!! :wink: Seriously,I don't want to go off like a banchee and not really get my point across.

Okay Missy that one made me laugh out loud. Sometimes going off like banchee works as well...they all look at you like you're crazy and then stay hidden just in case the crazy lady comes after them. :D

I kind of like Malli's suggestion of thinking of them a bit like three 2-3 year olds. They can be sweet and compliant one moment and grumpy and pulling each others hair the next. Kinzle may be a bit unsure since Gotty is full time - and sometimes it is possible and okay to enforce a specific pack order as long as they all remember you control the resources.

Sounds to me a bit like Gotty needs to be the bottom dog right now - he's confident enough that as long as he gets a treat, getting it last isn't the end of the world for him....but Kinzyl is having some difficulty feeling like she may not be your first love. You know the 3 year old that has always been an only child and suddenly has a sibling???
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » October 28th, 2009, 3:42 pm

airwalk wrote:
madremissy wrote:They get along fine on the porch but I will practice the treats out there. Porches and yard are fine. It is just in the house. Maybe since Gotty was in the house and Kinzyl was out and she looked up and saw him walking by.... Heck I don't know. But we will start over.

Okay Missy that one made me laugh out loud. Sometimes going off like banchee works as well...they all look at you like you're crazy and then stay hidden just in case the crazy lady comes after them. :D

I kind of like Malli's suggestion of thinking of them a bit like three 2-3 year olds. They can be sweet and compliant one moment and grumpy and pulling each others hair the next. Kinzle may be a bit unsure since Gotty is full time - and sometimes it is possible and okay to enforce a specific pack order as long as they all remember you control the resources.

Sounds to me a bit like Gotty needs to be the bottom dog right now - he's confident enough that as long as he gets a treat, getting it last isn't the end of the world for him....but Kinzyl is having some difficulty feeling like she may not be your first love. You know the 3 year old that has always been an only child and suddenly has a sibling???

I think you and Malli are right. Kinzyl has her panties in a bunch since Gotty came down stairs. I am doing the same routine at the same time and Gotty is getting his food last. Thank goodness it was nice today and I was able to get them both out for their exercise. Right now they are both laying on the front porch watching the world. Happy as two little pigs in mud. Did obedience with both and they did great.

I would still like to know the dialogue I need to use in this CJTM?????? Gotty is fine with yelling but Miss Priss kinda withdraws. So if anyone has any video of a CTJM that would be very helpful. :wink:
madremissy

Postby Malli » October 28th, 2009, 4:11 pm

its kind of like what you would do if a little kid ran into the street and narrowly missed being hit by a car : " you must never ever ever do that again". Kind of like that but more dramatic and with more body language since IMO that has the biggest impact on a dog.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Dan+Bec13 » October 28th, 2009, 4:17 pm

You know we get this type of behavior with Maddie once and awhile like you're having with Kinzyl. Maybe instead of focusing on Gotty intigrating into the pack you need to focus on Kinzyl allowing Gotty to integrate into the pack. Kinzyl might be seeing that outside doesn't belong to him, but inside is all mine. Maybe leash him and keep him on your hip around the house for a day or two so when he does try to get snippy you can correct him quick. If you know where he is and he can't roam you won't have to worry about a problem. It's what we've done with Maddie before to let her know that the new dog isn't a threat and is OK to be part of the pack.
Dan+Bec13
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » October 28th, 2009, 4:54 pm

madremissy wrote:I would still like to know the dialogue I need to use in this CJTM?????? Gotty is fine with yelling but Miss Priss kinda withdraws. So if anyone has any video of a CTJM that would be very helpful.

In all seriousness, I know we joke about it, but when it comes right down to it, it's not really a "funny" thing.

Riggs and I had a "moment" not long after I got him, and there is not one second of it that I would want on video or that I am impressed with myself with or that I think was "nice". He did something inappropriate, and I communicated with him that his actions were absolutely unacceptable, would not be tolerated and unceremoniousnessly chucked him into his crate. The next morning when I opened his crate he came out, offered to make me bacon and eggs for breakfast and serve them to me on a silver platter.

Read into that whatever you'd like to.

What your dog understands as a "if you ever do that again you will meet your maker" moment is between you and your dog. We make light of it because it's a rather uncomfortable topic when you really get down to it. So let's just leave it there, k? I'm not trying to preach or be rude, Missy, I'm really not, just trying to explain. :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior