Gotta Love Those Training Mishaps That Go In Your Favor

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby maberi » April 19th, 2010, 9:01 am

The weather on Saturday was rather miserable (and I was really hungover) so I was working on some of Kayden's disc skills in the house with food. I was trying to polish his spin up a little so that he didn't need a disc for the cue and I could just give him a hand signal. Kayden was standing about 5 ft from me and I gave him the hand signal for scoot instead of spin by accident (a scoot is a 180 degree turn away from the handler and then the dog has to back up until they go between the handler's legs). I've only practiced scoot with Kayden while he was really close to me, so I was surprised to see him initiate the scoot that far from me and continue to back up while watching me over his shoulder until he went through my legs. I thought that was pretty cool, so I put him about 6 ft from me and gave him the signal, and again he did his 180 degree spin and backed up across the room until he went through my legs.

I know this is a long boring post, but that training mishap is really going to work in our favor on the disc field when competing if I can continue to work on the distance with him. I've only seen one other handler competing that was able to have her dogs do a scoot with quite a bit of distance and I always thought it was really impressive to see a dog navigate its way backwards across a field and go between the handler's legs.

Gotta love those oops moments that go in your favor :wink:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 19th, 2010, 9:12 am

That's awesome, Matt, but where's the video???
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » April 19th, 2010, 9:16 am

:clap: Cool! Now I wanna see video! 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » April 19th, 2010, 9:23 am

Lol, I'll have to break out the tripod and get some video this week. It's probably a good idea for me to get some video of our disc training sessions anyway. I tried a back vault with Kayden last week for the first time and learned very quickly it helps not to look up at he is going off my back. He kicked me so hard in the side of the head I almost fell over. If nothing else it would have been good for a giggle
maberi

Postby Pit♥bull » April 19th, 2010, 9:32 am

Get the tripod out.... We want some giggles :giggle:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » April 19th, 2010, 9:39 am

We NEED some giggles! :giggle:

And I'll be very impressed...my dogs and I are just not coordinated enough to do stuff like that...I'll be in AWE of you guys. :shock:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Hoyden » April 19th, 2010, 10:26 am

oh yes. We need some giggles.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 19th, 2010, 10:27 am

maberi wrote:He kicked me so hard in the side of the head I almost fell over. If nothing else it would have been good for a giggle

You could win money on America's Funniest Home Videos!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » April 19th, 2010, 2:11 pm

great job Matt and Kayden!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » April 24th, 2010, 6:04 pm

Well no giggles in this video other than a pale 34 year old man dancing in his backyard with his dog (my neighbors already know I'm a dork) :crazy2:

The is the first time we have proofed the long scoot outside (2nd part of video). I've been using the hallway upstairs to build distance while keeping him straight. I'd like to get his long scoot up to about 20 feet but I'm going to have to build some small barriers for outside to get some muscle memory with going straight backwards that far. Either way we are having fun and these moves will transition over nicely to our freestyle routine :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlNiGvUh8O8
maberi

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 24th, 2010, 6:11 pm

That's awesome! :clap:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » April 24th, 2010, 6:12 pm

He looks AWESOME!!!! :D :cheer:

:clap: Congrats on a very nice move! Very smooth!

TheRedQueen

Postby Marinepits » April 24th, 2010, 6:39 pm

:helloClap: Great job!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » April 24th, 2010, 8:09 pm

That is very cool!
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » April 25th, 2010, 4:40 am

That is very cool!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Return to Training & Behavior