Baby steps

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amalie79 » April 28th, 2010, 9:54 am

It's not a major accomplishment, but Robin and I each had a couple of minor victories last night.

I took her out to walk up and down our block and look at the people working in their yards across the street. We stood on the corner and watched a lady trimming her hedge, when another woman pulled up in a car about 6 feet from us, rolled down her window, and started talking to us. :o I was expecting the worst, and cursing the way people always try to come up to us while we're training...but Robin didn't spazz. And I remembered to click and treat while talking to the lady! Yay us! :dance:

Then the woman who was trimming her hedge started to walk over to us. Before she could cross the street, I called over that Robin is scared of people and we were working on it. She's a dog person, and respectfully stayed across the street. Normally, Robin would start grumbling, barking and growling at the sight of a stranger approaching. But the neighbor and I talked for about 5 minutes or so, hollering from corner to corner, and Robin, again, didn't spazz, and I clicked and treated. After a few minutes, I could see the tension releasing from Robin's body and curiosity starting to overwhelm that fear. I think I could have walked over to my neighbor and let them meet. But this was MY second milestone: I didn't push it. I decided not to risk ruining a very successful training session by going too fast. :mrgreen:

We ended training last night on that great note.

I'm so proud of us!
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » April 28th, 2010, 10:39 am

:confetti:

WTG!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 28th, 2010, 10:58 am

Glad to hear it! Keep up the good work! Sounds like it's paying off!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » April 28th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Excellent!!! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Hundilein » April 28th, 2010, 4:12 pm

That's awesome!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyChick » April 28th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Wonderful!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 28th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Well done!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » April 28th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Since Duke is suffering the same 'demons' we sent him to you this afternoon via UPS, please let us know how his 'baby steps' are going. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » April 28th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:Since Duke is suffering the same 'demons' we sent him to you this afternoon via UPS, please let us know how his 'baby steps' are going. :|

:giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amalie79 » April 28th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:Since Duke is suffering the same 'demons' we sent him to you this afternoon via UPS, please let us know how his 'baby steps' are going. :|

Will we need to sign for him, or can he wait on the porch til we get home? :wink:

Her baby steps may be steps backward the next time we do this, but I take these little victories any place I can get 'em!
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » April 28th, 2010, 10:08 pm

amalie79 wrote:
Will we need to sign for him, or can he wait on the porch til we get home? :wink:
LMAO

amalie79 wrote:I take these little victories any place I can get 'em!
You just said a mouthful :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior