Duke's Demons

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby tiva » June 28th, 2010, 8:05 pm

When my pittie Vanya started getting overwhelmingly intense in the house and yard toward outside stimuli, here's what worked for us:
1. prozac: Vanya was becoming pretty OCD (ie, staring at lights and shrieking), and a low dose of prozac has helped
2. window film: from amazon. This stuff is great. It goes on with just water, so it's easy to put on and off and move around. Blocking the back window from view has helped enormously
3. and a zillion reps of Look at That, invented by Leslie McDevitt of CONTROL UNLEASHED fame. We use the detailed protocol that's posted over in the yahoo group clicker solutions files. I can't cross post it here, but it's completely worth joining the yahoo group to get access to that file. (It's the one Liz is describing--much more detail than in CU). Following this step by step, and rewarding Vanya with great treats, means that when he now sees a bear, deer, person, or dog go by when he's on the deck, he gives one mightly shriek then runs to me, tail wagging, for his cheese. Before LAT he would go so terribly over the top that I thought he might have a seizure.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby dlynne1123 » June 28th, 2010, 8:39 pm

BullyLady wrote:[

That is GENIUS!! Shelby loooves people and consequently goes insane, not aggressively just that she is happy to see people, when people come to the door. I may have to institute this!

We use "crate games" whenever company comes over as this anxiety threshold has been the cause of a few scuffles in the past. If they all run to their crates when company comes over they have a chance to settle as well as our company (as three large bullies are a lot for some of our friends!) Now they each get a kong for getting to the crate as fast as they can! Sometimes I'm opening the door and realizing I forgot to go reward the dogs on the other room all sitting patiently in their crates!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » June 29th, 2010, 12:07 am

Is there ANYTHING that is considered a high prize for him? Is there any toy or food or any kind of possession he totally adores?

You say you have a pinch collar on him, what do you do with it when he reacts this way? Are you actually correcting him or just letting him choke the heck out of himself? I imagine with a hard enough correction on the leash he should at least make some sort of a response - a hard pinch correction should get his attention.

Easier said than done I think you need to work on a "leave it" command which means he stops whatever he's doing, no matter what it is. I've mentioned it before in the horse world we teach our horses the word "Whoa" which means stop what you're doing RIGHT NOW, not to steps later, NOW. It's a good command because in the saddle, or on the ground, when you tell your horse to whoa they stop. So if you're ever in a sticky situation you can tell them to whoa and they will. I think you'd have to start with small distractions and small situations but you really need to ingrain in his head when he hears the words 'leave it' the world stops and his attention goes on to you. It shouldn't matter what he thinks he wants to do, leave it, means leave it. Just an idea, it would take time repetition and time but I think it could work. I mean it could even be as simple as "I see it" therefore it's okay for him to alert you, but once you give him the command that you see what he sees and he's done a good job alerting you he needs to stop.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 12th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Any updates on Duke?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » August 12th, 2010, 2:57 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Any updates on Duke?
Yep :)
Mr. Duke has evolved into very respectful member of the household, loves Miss T and I'm sure he would protect her with his life.
He minds extremely well and is a real 'love bug'. When away from home I can only describe his actions as exemplary, at home his only flaw is he is very protective of his happy home, inside he barks at thunder and outside he barks at anything that moves BUT is improving on both counts.
Thanks for asking.

:) :mrgreen: :) :mrgreen: :) :mrgreen: :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » August 12th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Fantastic update!!! :D :D :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » August 12th, 2010, 6:02 pm

I will only add this as a testament to Duke's improvement. When Bob started this topic, he was unable to take Duke out, the physical (and mental) exertion was just too much. In the last couple of weeks Bob is able to take Duke and Trouble out together - Trouble without a leash and Duke definitely with.

I'm working with distracting Duke from the point of focus by turning and walking out of sight of whatever has his attention. He now has started to turn on his own and move away from the object. He still turns back to bark, but is so much better than where we started.

Duke still has a way to go, but he has improved tremendously. The input we've gotten here has been so helpful and is very much appreciated. Thank you all for keeping the encouragement coming.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » August 12th, 2010, 6:17 pm

hugapitbull wrote:(and mental) exertion
Speak for yourself please :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 12th, 2010, 6:18 pm

I'm so happy for you guys!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior