Michelle's :: Stop-Being-Rude Command.

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ArtGypsy » July 25th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Okay.........based on the other thread regarding Wiener Sniffing and Personal Exams, I would like step-by-step instruction on how to 'cease and desist'.
:wink:

Dar Loves All the Friends of the Kids that Come to the house.......he is playful and doesn't do too much 'jumping up' anymore, but he DOES LOVE Boy-Bits!!!! :crazy2: :dance: :nono:

While folks are standing around, maneuvering through the house, Dar INSISTS on going up to the boys (young men) and ...........ahem."nuzzling-to-the-point-of-almost-taking-a-Bite of their ........parts.

It's a running joke, and any young man that's here very often knows to 'turn to the side' or ....."cup" before letting Dar come up to them.
And..............well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(deep breath) those atheltic shorts they tend to wear just makes it all that much more 'attractive' to Dar.

So.
Besides not ever letting him around ANY of the guys (girls too, but not as bad), how do I teach ""STOP BEING RUDE'
:+)
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby TheRedQueen » July 25th, 2010, 3:40 pm

It's just like a "leave it" cue...does he have one of those?

Honestly, it's a self-control issue for me (I mean, not for me...I don't nuzzle crotches, whether it be boy or girl...well, unless I'm REALLY drunk, I'm sure I might...but I haven't yet, to the best of my knowledge)...and I'd start by teaching an alternate behavior. He doesn't get to greet until he does something else that is more desirable by humans (such as a sit or a sit and shake paw). So I'd have him leashed and set up situations where everyone has treats...and he doesn't get to *indulge* because he won't be able to reach with the leash on, and the person walking in will have treats to ask for that more desirable behavior.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » July 25th, 2010, 4:07 pm

He has a "wait'.....which basically means :: I know you want it/to go/to move/to run/to eat...but WAIT.

I have the AAaaahhhhhh! >(
sound that means STOP.

But the 'nuzzling' the crotch happens long after the first greet part. It can happen when he simply just walks up for a 'head pat'..He kinda/sorta "reciptrocates' by ........ummmmm...."nuzzling'.

If the boy is playing with Dar or if Dar is all Butt-Wiggly, Dar will even "nose' the bits, much like a seal with a 'ball.
(no pun intended).
It's almost like Dar is Playing-with-the-jiggly-interesting-parts' as opposed to "gotta smell this part' kinda behavior... :neener:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby TheRedQueen » July 25th, 2010, 4:18 pm

I'd do some Doggy Zen...so he has a grasp on self-control. :) This is basically to set up a "leave it"/"rude"/"stolen" cue for him...so no matter what he's sniffing, he'll choose wisely when someone tells him that cue.

Shirley Chong: Doggy Zen (Lesson 3 in her 6 lessons)

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/Lesson3.html

A more in-depth look at Doggy Zen from Sue Ailsby: (# 26 in her levels)

http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20dogs/l ... 26Zen.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby furever_pit » July 25th, 2010, 10:47 pm

I love the idea of this. It's fun to mix it up with commands sometimes.
I just go with the old standby of leave it.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 26th, 2010, 12:20 am

I started saying "stop being rude" and "she has a doctor already" etc. because the behaviors that the dogs are doing (my dog or the other person's dog) are distasteful and the "command" gets a laugh from the other person to distract them from the behavior as well. :wink:

But like Erin said, it's basically just "leave it," and you teach it the same way you teach leave it any other time. By deflecting the behavior, giving alternatives, preventing it from happening, etc.

TheRedQueen wrote:I mean, not for me...I don't nuzzle crotches, whether it be boy or girl...well, unless I'm REALLY drunk, I'm sure I might...but I haven't yet, to the best of my knowledge

uh, yeah, suuuuuuure you don't.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » July 26th, 2010, 12:22 am

mnp13 wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:I mean, not for me...I don't nuzzle crotches, whether it be boy or girl...well, unless I'm REALLY drunk, I'm sure I might...but I haven't yet, to the best of my knowledge

uh, yeah, suuuuuuure you don't.

Yeah, Kat (poodlemamakat) emailed me and said..."why are you lying to everyone on PBT?"

:lookaround:

I just hope she doesn't have pics... :dance:

:lurk:

TheRedQueen

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » July 26th, 2010, 12:48 am

TheRedQueen wrote:I just hope she doesn't have pics...

If she only knew... :hearNoEvil:

:neener:
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior