Peeing Inside???

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitsnok » August 12th, 2010, 12:21 am

I'm not sure if this is a training issue, or a health issue... but I need some advice.
The past week Degan has been peeing inside every once and a while. Three times just today. He hasn't even been banging on the door for us to let him out like he usually does. The only reason I think he might not be having a health issue is because lately it has been SO hot and the majority of the times he will bang on the door, he just stands there, or plops down in the sun. (Now since his heat exhaustion ordeal I really don't want him laying in the sun, and a lot of the time we just aren't able to go outside with him.) So it's sort of a 'boy-who-cried-wolf' situation where most of the time we know he doesn't need out, so we don't let him out. So maybe now he's like... "well, if you're not gonna let me out when I tell you to, then I'll just stop telling you to!"

Do you guys think he might have a bladder infection or something, or do you think he's just being a turd?
(I figure the first makes more sense...my mom said she thinks he's just being rude.) Anyway, the boyfriend is getting really frustrated, and it's getting pretty gross having to clean up pee all the time.

On the plus side, he does always go on the tile... :|

I have said that now ANYTIME he bangs on the door we HAVE to let him out... but today he didn't even bang on the door the three times he peed inside.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » August 12th, 2010, 12:48 am

I would get him checked out by his vet... especially after the heat exhaustion episode. Heat exhaustion (even in "small" doses) can sometimes cause neurological issues, short- and/or long-term, so before I'd address this behavior as a "he's-being-a-turd" issue - I'd definitely get him seen to rule out any medical problems.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitsnok » August 12th, 2010, 1:04 am

I hadn't even thought of that affecting it. Thanks Christine. Like I said, I really don't think he is just 'being a turd' because I have my common sense part of my mind saying, "Duh Brittany, dogs aren't rational...he's not trying to 'get back at you'"... It's just ... Odd.

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » August 12th, 2010, 1:25 am

Could also be a UTI, where he constantly feels like he has to pee (and bangs on the door)... only not to have to go when you let him out.
Any really odd behavior is always a good reason to get a check-up - most housebroken dogs will not suddenly start peeing in the house for no good reason.

Keep us updated! :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » August 12th, 2010, 8:16 am

Have you noticed any blood in his urine (possibly a very pale tinge of colour)? Next time you have to clean up after him, use a white paper towel and check the colour. If so, he either has a more-advanced UTI or some bladder irritation going on -- both will make him pee much more often. However, a minor UTI may not show any blood at all.

Get a sample of his first-morning urine (it's more concentrated), make sure it's in a sterile container (you can use a clean tupperware type container but make sure it's clean of soap residue), and refrigerate it until you can get the sample to the vet for testing. If your car is really hot and/or you don't have air conditioning, use cold-packs when you transport the sample. Try not to wait more than a few hours before getting the sample to the vet because it will start to "spoil". Most vets will let you just drop off a sample for testing without making an appointment.

Any increase in his drinking? If he's peeing clear urine, he's probably guzzling a LOT of water and just can't hold it. I've noticed my boys do that when it's very hot outside and they have little control over when they "let loose". Tucker and Indy usually make it to the door and go right in front of it, but Mac just goes wherever. :rolleyes2: You can try monitoring his water intake, but make sure that he doesn't get dehydrated.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » August 12th, 2010, 8:55 am

pitsnok wrote:I hadn't even thought of that affecting it. Thanks Christine. Like I said, I really don't think he is just 'being a turd' because I have my common sense part of my mind saying, "Duh Brittany, dogs aren't rational...he's not trying to 'get back at you'"... It's just ... Odd.

Good for you! Dogs don't think this way, he's not doing it out of "spite" or to get back at anyone.

I'd definitely get him checked at the vet...so you can rule a medical issue out. If it's a behavior issue due to the heat (drinking too much, and not being able to hold it)...I'd start with square one with him...confining or crating him when not supervised.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » August 12th, 2010, 12:58 pm

I agree, good for you. Dogs aren't spiteful, at least not in a manner where they'll hold a grudge long enough to urinate repeatedly to "spite" you. And most don't like to mess up their living space in such a manner either.

Erin, would it also help to treat/reward for peeing outside?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » August 12th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Malli wrote:Erin, would it also help to treat/reward for peeing outside?

Yup...I certainly would! :) good suggestion! After medical stuff is ruled out...I'd re-do the potty training...rewards for outside potty, crating/confining when not supervised. :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby furever_pit » August 13th, 2010, 12:48 am

Shove his nose in it.

I kid, I kid. :wink:

I agree that you should start with a urine analysis just to make sure that he doesn't have a UTI.
Also, urination aids in dropping a dog's body temperature. I have noticed during these hot months that mine pee more frequently after working outside. Cairo usually needs a second "cool down" pee about 30 minutes after he has already been crated. Do his accidents seem to happen after he has been exercising or laying in the sun?
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitsnok » August 13th, 2010, 2:15 am

Nope, usually while he's been inside. On the plus side, they usually happen right in front of the back door. So maybe like Michelle says he just couldn't hold it any longer.

He hasn't been going any more than usual. Has been drinking a normal amount of water. Hasn't been trying to pee without being able to go. And there has been no blood.

Today he was totally fine. i think I'm going with Michelle's theory of it just being too freakin' hot here and he can't hold it like he normally would. Don't worry though, we're not omitting the vet, just waiting to see if it happens again. If it does then we will obviously go to the vet.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior