Training Chickens

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby furever_pit » September 6th, 2010, 10:50 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/masterofhou ... rxOAYAcQKk

http://www.youtube.com/user/masterofhou ... UNj4UdSTQI

Just thought I would share these videos that Francis Metcalf put up on his youtube page. He does a lot of really interesting stuff with his animals and he's fun to watch. I hope y'all enjoy.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 6th, 2010, 11:30 am

Holy Moly! People are such talented trainers. :shock: Or maybe chickens are just smarter than we realize?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 6th, 2010, 11:47 am

iluvk9 wrote:Holy Moly! People are such talented trainers. :shock: Or maybe chickens are just smarter than we realize?

Clicker training chickens is really common nowadays, you can go to Chicken Camp to do this! http://www.legacycanine.com/workshops/c ... camps.html

It's actually a dream of mine, to go to Chicken Camp. :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » September 6th, 2010, 12:32 pm

cool, yet weird.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » September 6th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Chicken Camp.

That's all I have to say.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 6th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Nice signature...:cheeky3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby madremissy » September 6th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Travis wants to get some chickens. He would die if I told him I was going to clicker train them. 8)
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby furever_pit » September 6th, 2010, 6:04 pm

I had no idea there was a chicken camp. That's kinda cool.
I told my Dad that I'm gonna mess around with Fluff (a chicken on our farm whose personality has kept her from slaughter) and clicker training next time I come home. He laughed at me.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » September 6th, 2010, 7:25 pm

I got a chicken from a woman on off craigslist who was super handle-able and friendly. My other chickens are too but this one was really like a pet, her favorite thing was cheese shreds. I saw clicker training the chickens online and taught her to touch a circle target... it was kind of cool. They're chickens - their brains aren't huge - they just want the food haha. It's really kind of cool what you can teach them to do.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TheRedQueen » September 6th, 2010, 7:34 pm

plebayo wrote: They're chickens - their brains aren't huge - they just want the food haha. It's really kind of cool what you can teach them to do.

This is why it is possible to clicker train anything that has a brain...everything wants food. :dance: When people say..."oh, my dog's not food motivated", I always tell them that of course the dog is food motivated, otherwise it'd be dead.

TheRedQueen

Postby plebayo » September 6th, 2010, 10:17 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
plebayo wrote: They're chickens - their brains aren't huge - they just want the food haha. It's really kind of cool what you can teach them to do.

This is why it is possible to clicker train anything that has a brain...everything wants food. :dance: When people say..."oh, my dog's not food motivated", I always tell them that of course the dog is food motivated, otherwise it'd be dead.

Yeah I know, it's just with chickens food and foraging is seriously their life. It's just amazing what they can do, after having had some pretty cool chickens I'll never tell someone it's "just a chicken" that's for sure :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby juniper8204 » October 11th, 2010, 9:18 am

Chickens are wicked smart...I mean problem solving smart! I used to think that a chicken was just something you put on your table at dinner, but now that I have them my opionion has been changed. Baby chicks will play keep away with the other chicks when they aren't sleeping or eating. And they'll play it with the oddest things...this past spring, mine played it with a crust of bread, a small stick, a dried leaf...they'll use anything. Cutest thing ever. Wish I had a video to share of that...maybe when I hatch some out in the spring I can share that. Sometimes the adults will do it too if they have a high value item, but the chicks are the cutest.

My adult chickens know that the red bucket is what I bring the food out in, so if I throw the red bucket, they'll run after it, but after they see it's empty, they'll run after me knowing that the food source is me and not the bucket. Pretty smart for a bird, I'd say.

Interesting video about chicken intelligence:
http://fowlplaymovie.com/display_video.php?id=4
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior