Avoidant behavior

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitsnok » September 13th, 2010, 10:10 pm

So tonight we re-introduced Harlow and Ollie and they avoided each other. No anger, no playing, just avoidance.
We have introduced Degan and Ollie and they avoided each other. They did smell each other's butts, but that was the extent of it.
We have also introduced Harlow and Boss, and Boss avoided her, but Harlow clearly wanted to play with him. She would flop to the ground and wag her tail and even crawled under him at one point. He just looked at us like, "what the hell is she doing?"

So my first question is, what do I think of avoidant behavior? Is it good that at least they're not jumping at each other's throats? Or is this just as bad?

(This all sounds like it was all at once but it was gradual.)

Also, Ollie is apparently not okay with being in a crate without Boss by his side and managed to irritate the sores on his chin and scratch up his legs. I immediately started to clean it until I realized it could possibly be staph...So I washed my hands with bleach, and am hoping desperately that that doesn't happen.
They are getting their shots and neuter on Thursday and I guess I will take them to my vet on Monday or something if they aren't getting a full vetting at the spot clinic...(I know, I really need to figure this out).

Ugh. Boss is totally fine without Ollie. Ollie is totally fine without Boss if we're outside, but not indoors. I'm afraid he is going to have severe separation anxiety.

I just don't know what to do now. :cry:
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » September 13th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Okay well I think the spot clinic can provide the shots, neuter, heart worm test, heart worm treatment, and flea/tick treatment. But I don't think they go further than that so we will be seeing our vet once they have gotten their vaccinations.

I am stresssseeddddd!

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » September 14th, 2010, 12:14 am

In my own experience I think it's a good thing. If they leave each other alone they aren't going to kill each other. My friend has a pit mix who is dog aggressive, she will ignore the other dog and as long as the other dog ignores her she's totally fine. Where she becomes nasty is if the other dog gets in her grill and pays attention to her.

Also even though they've been with you guys for some time it is still all new so maybe they don't feel comfortable enough yet to interact with your dogs. Also if they're really attached at the hip maybe they really won't bond with your dogs because they prefer hanging out with each other, which again IMO isn't a bad thing. In my house granted Sofie is super old but Seth and LiLo hang out together, they don't really interact with Sofie at all - she does her own thing.

I think it's definitely something where you need to watch them, especially as the new boys get comfortable in the house because things might change. You already know this but I'll say it - I wouldn't leave the dogs alone together without supervision and obviously don't feed them all together.

Just wanted to say too, they are so lucky to have found you!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitsnok » September 14th, 2010, 1:59 am

Thanks Suzanne. I feel pretty lucky, too. I just look forward to (hopefully) the day that we don't have to separate them on opposite sides of the house.
I just don't want to rush things since it has only been a week and a half and ALL of these experiences are completely new to them.
I forgot to mention that at one point, Ollie did sort of try to play with Degan but Degan wasn't feeling it. Poor boy is just a goofy puppy and no one will play with him! I feel so bad. Especially since Harlow wouldn't give him the time of day but was acting like a pre teen girl when Boss was around. Girl obviously has her favorites!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » September 14th, 2010, 8:43 am

Well hopefully this is just the first of many good interactions. :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » September 14th, 2010, 12:35 pm

I *think* it might be a good thing, too. Its probably just an "unsure" type of behavior. They probably haven't been exposed to a lot of other dogs.

fingers crossed for the getting along situation.

I assume you're worried about Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ? MRSA...

Most Staph. bacteria(there are many different kinds) are not an issue for people. My dog has probably had 30 + staph. infections and none of them are an issue for me. MRSA is something that would be more likely on a dog that was in public a lot or at the vets a lot, so I'd think thats pretty unlikely in your case ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » September 14th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Agreed on the "unsure" behavior... a week and a half is not a long time at all, and I would keep up w/a *regular* routine for everyone.
When Luka came to live here I let him do a lot of "observing" from the safety of his crate before he was allowed to get right in the middle of things (and dogs/cats). I still have to crate/rotate him and Bee, but other than that he has adapted very well. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » September 14th, 2010, 5:18 pm

I make my dogs look at new dogs for like a month before introductions. By the time they actually get to meet the new dog, they're hardly even new any more and it's completely anti-climactic.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitsnok » September 15th, 2010, 12:40 am

We were going to move their crates into our room tonight but everyone except me is asleep and I'd really hate to disturb the silence. I started thinking though, since they are getting neutered Thursday we might want to wait...right?

What do you guys think would be best for us after their surgery? obviously they won't be out with the other two because they have to have limited activity, but do you think we should keep their crates in the office for now? I just don't want them getting too excited about anything while they are recovering, and I don't want to stress them out any more than they probably already will be with e-collars and missing balls. Haha.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior