Crating/Rotating

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitsnok » October 14th, 2010, 6:33 pm

For those of you who crate and rotate, how long do you leave the dogs crated?

I never know if it should be like... an hour at a time, or five at a time? We don't really keep track but we take into account that Degan and Harlow are usually not crated at night.

Any input?
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » October 16th, 2010, 11:06 pm

I don't really keep a timer of how long the dogs have been in the crate. I just work the dogs and rotate them in and out that way. I just make sure that the dogs are tired when it is time to go to bed for the night and that they are worn out before I leave for work. So I just base it more on activity and energy levels...you can always tells when a dog needs to get out and stretch its legs a bit.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » October 17th, 2010, 2:39 am

I'm not a crate and rotater, but I do work in a kennel full of dogs that for the most part don't get along, so I would think that key would be as equal as possible. I would think less frequently would be easier on you, and really it might teach the dogs to have more down time...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » October 17th, 2010, 5:00 pm

We do it in time blocks - 4 and 5 hours at a time.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior