Blanket Nibbling

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » October 28th, 2010, 6:31 am

Piper has, since he was a pup, always done this thing where he nibbles on the bedsheets when he's winding down for the night. He'll just take a tiny bit and munch it with his front teeth. It's not a blanket sucking behavior (which I've seen before in other dogs). It's more like if he were to nibble on his leg because he has an itch.
Lately, it seems he's doing it a lot more often-- not just at bedtime. I see it whenever he's snuggled down on the couch and the other night he was laying on the floor, lifting his head up to reach a blanket on the couch to nibble it.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I'm just curious as to what it means and if it is something I should try to correct. He doesn't seem to hurt anything, like he's not chewing holes or anything, it just seems to be relaxing to him.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » October 28th, 2010, 6:58 am

Trouble use to chew tags... Tags on sheets, T-shirts, quilts, etc., anything that had a tag. :rolleyes2:
She also chewed blanket and sheet corners. She did this until she was about 18 months old then just stopped on her own one day. :|

Good luck :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 28th, 2010, 7:07 am

I think it's just kind of a security blanket thing for them. Inara actually does it if we're rough-housing and she gets really worked up (in a playful way) - if there's a blanket under us she starts flea-biting it. I say as long as he's not putting holes in things and he's not obsessive about it, there's nothing to worry about. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amalie79 » October 28th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Robin tears up the sheet in her crate, which I kind of expected...

But she does the sheet/blanket nibbling thing in our bed, too, and she seems to love tags on things like the shower curtain. She's about 18mos old, and it does seem to have lessened lately. I've got one set of sheets with ratty corners because she just corn cobs the hell out of them.

Sheesh. With dogs and kids, you can't have anything nice!! ;-)
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » October 28th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Allie, Kinzyl does this everynight before she goes to sleep in the bed. She does her fluffing and stuffing routine, plops down then has to nibble for about two minutes. Gives me a kiss goodnight and then goes to sleep. She has done it everynight since I got her.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Ino » October 28th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Ino does it too in my bed at night. Sometimes I do stop him only because pulling a goober soaked blanket up to my face and/or rolling over onto a slobbery pillow corner when I am sleeping is a not so nice sensation :rolleyes2: . I do allow him to nibble on his futon and crate blankets though- since he is not destroying them (tearing the stuffing out) :| .
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » October 29th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Dylan does this flea-biting thing though he tends to do it when he is happy or excited about something. When I used to let he and Gator play together he would nibble on Gator's leg like this. He nibbles on my arm or the blanket or pillow when we snuggle.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » October 29th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm just hoping it doesn't become an obsessive type thing.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Return to Training & Behavior