DEBATE: Biting dogs - euthanize or no?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby furever_pit » January 8th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Depends on the individual dog and the circumstance surrounding the bite.

It also depends on where the bite is coming from, what is motivating the dog. I have very little tolerance for fear in dogs, especially in bulldogs - so a dog who is fear aggressive is going to be up against a harder line than a dog who bites for other reasons. A fear biter will either stay with me and be managed or be put down. I don't believe it is right to put those dogs out there for other people to have to deal with.

On the other hand, a dog who bites due to handler error is just going to be chalked up to a learning opportunity. A dog who bites because he is overstimulated or is redirecting is not going to bother me - these things happen. A dog who bites out of possession is not going to bother me because we can work around that. A dog that bites for nail trims or whatever isn't an issue; he will either be muzzled or we will find a method that is comfortable for the dog. I don't expect all dogs to put up with any nature of touching, petting, tugging, etc (tho I like to see that in bulldogs being the nanny dog and all). Even true blue handler aggression is not going to necessarily send the dog on a one way trip to the vet.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 8th, 2011, 9:48 pm

furever_pit wrote:It also depends on where the bite is coming from, what is motivating the dog. I have very little tolerance for fear in dogs, especially in bulldogs - so a dog who is fear aggressive is going to be up against a harder line than a dog who bites for other reasons. A fear biter will either stay with me and be managed or be put down. I don't believe it is right to put those dogs out there for other people to have to deal with.

Good post.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » January 8th, 2011, 9:54 pm

mnp13 wrote:
furever_pit wrote:It also depends on where the bite is coming from, what is motivating the dog. I have very little tolerance for fear in dogs, especially in bulldogs - so a dog who is fear aggressive is going to be up against a harder line than a dog who bites for other reasons. A fear biter will either stay with me and be managed or be put down. I don't believe it is right to put those dogs out there for other people to have to deal with.

Good post.

x2
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior