Wailing, Warbling, Screaming Pigeon

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby airwalk » January 18th, 2011, 12:54 am

barking for fun...nawww...they would never :rolleyes2: Grace if it helps I actually had to resort to a citronella collar to get Magic's barking to a liveable level (something I never thought I would do).
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » January 18th, 2011, 1:05 am

Oiy... I ignore barking-in-the-crate. :oops:
I even go as far as to shut the door, so I can REALLY ignore it. :oops:

Baby Chicken usually shuts up right around the time I let go of the door handle.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SLS61185 » January 18th, 2011, 2:19 am

I, personally, am one that sprays Patch when he starts barking or whinning in his crate. If he's in there because he's in trouble and starts his barking sh*t, he gets sprayed with water, and the second he is quiet, he can come out. If he's in there because we're leaving, he's fine and doesn't make a sound....

The worst of it is when/if someone comes over and he can't act like he's got some damn sense, he goes in there.... and he barks like a freaking maniac... Then he gets sprayed. He knows when he sees the water bottle, we mean buisness.

And no, just because we spray him with water, doesn't mean he hates his crate, water or anything. He will voluntarily(?) go in there on his own to sleep if he feels like it.

I think it's just a personal preference. Everyone has a different way of doing things with their dogs... To each their own. And that's just my 2 cents.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » January 18th, 2011, 2:33 am

SLS61185 wrote:I, personally, am one that sprays Patch when he starts barking or whinning in his crate. If he's in there because he's in trouble and starts his barking sh*t, he gets sprayed with water, and the second he is quiet, he can come out. If he's in there because we're leaving, he's fine and doesn't make a sound....

The worst of it is when/if someone comes over and he can't act like he's got some damn sense, he goes in there.... and he barks like a freaking maniac... Then he gets sprayed. He knows when he sees the water bottle, we mean buisness.

And no, just because we spray him with water, doesn't mean he hates his crate, water or anything. He will voluntarily(?) go in there on his own to sleep if he feels like it.

I think it's just a personal preference. Everyone has a different way of doing things with their dogs... To each their own. And that's just my 2 cents.

I never said that EVERY dog would hate their crate if squirted with water in the crate. What I stated was that punishers *can* have unintended consequences...and listed some off the top of my head. Things that could happen. And I never said that punishers or water spray was a bad idea...if that works for you, that's great. I also said that some dogs might not find it an aversive...I know dogs that LOVE to be sprayed with water. So using a squirt bottle doesn't work as a punisher for those dogs.

The issue I have with using a punisher/aversive is that amount that it takes. A good aversive will stop that behavior right then and there. An ineffective punisher will suppress behavior for a time, but won't stop it completely. Too much is a bad thing, but too little doesn't work...so finding the right amount is difficult.

I mentioned the vanilla aversive before. Karen Pryor said that this is one aversive that she'll use. To keep the dogs out of the trash can, you spray the dog lightly in the face with a scented water when they're not expecting it...and then spray that all into your trash. The dog will associate the scent with the horrible water in the face surprise...and will stay out of the trash. Well, I chose Vanilla also, because I love the scent, and it was nice in my bathroom trashcan. Stupid me, I didn't think about the consequences. Score won't get in bed, snuggle or cuddle when I'm wearing my favorite lotions or perfumes...because, yup, you guessed it...vanilla scented. :( Not a major thing...but it sucks for me.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby SLS61185 » January 18th, 2011, 2:59 am

TheRedQueen wrote:
SLS61185 wrote:I, personally, am one that sprays Patch when he starts barking or whinning in his crate. If he's in there because he's in trouble and starts his barking sh*t, he gets sprayed with water, and the second he is quiet, he can come out. If he's in there because we're leaving, he's fine and doesn't make a sound....

I never said that EVERY dog would hate their crate if squirted with water in the crate. What I stated was that punishers *can* have unintended consequences...and listed some off the top of my head. Things that could happen. And I never said that punishers or water spray was a bad idea...if that works for you, that's great. I also said that some dogs might not find it an aversive...I know dogs that LOVE to be sprayed with water. So using a squirt bottle doesn't work as a punisher for those dogs.

The issue I have with using a punisher/aversive is that amount that it takes. A good aversive will stop that behavior right then and there. An ineffective punisher will suppress behavior for a time, but won't stop it completely. Too much is a bad thing, but too little doesn't work...so finding the right amount is difficult.

I mentioned the vanilla aversive before. Karen Pryor said that this is one aversive that she'll use. To keep the dogs out of the trash can, you spray the dog lightly in the face with a scented water when they're not expecting it...and then spray that all into your trash. The dog will associate the scent with the horrible water in the face surprise...and will stay out of the trash. Well, I chose Vanilla also, because I love the scent, and it was nice in my bathroom trashcan. Stupid me, I didn't think about the consequences. Score won't get in bed, snuggle or cuddle when I'm wearing my favorite lotions or perfumes...because, yup, you guessed it...vanilla scented. :( Not a major thing...but it sucks for me.

Calm down lady - It's okay! My comment wasn't actually about yours... It was just made in general. :wink:
So, sorry if that's how it came off, cause that's NOT how I meant for it. Honestly.
He doesn't like being sprayed with the water, BUT he will stand inside the shower curtain andl et the water hit his face while you're in there, run around outside in it while it's raining/snowing/sleeting.... However, he will NOT stay in the tub when you give him a bath. :|

But on that note, in the beginning, when he kept stealing everything (not like that has changed :nono: ) we used to spray everything with bitter apple and that stuff never worked with him. I have yet to find anything that works with him, except a water bottle.... And we're talking about the same dog who stole a tube of orajel and didn't care that his mouth was not only numb, but probably tasted HORRIBLE :crazy2:
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby furever_pit » January 19th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Both my dogs make a bunch of noise when I am training the other one. Up to this point I have just ignored the behavior because it doesn't bother me. They only bark when the other one is training though, not if the other one is just going for a walk or hanging out in the house.

TheRedQueen wrote:I mentioned the vanilla aversive before. Karen Pryor said that this is one aversive that she'll use. To keep the dogs out of the trash can, you spray the dog lightly in the face with a scented water when they're not expecting it...and then spray that all into your trash. The dog will associate the scent with the horrible water in the face surprise...and will stay out of the trash. Well, I chose Vanilla also, because I love the scent, and it was nice in my bathroom trashcan. Stupid me, I didn't think about the consequences. Score won't get in bed, snuggle or cuddle when I'm wearing my favorite lotions or perfumes...because, yup, you guessed it...vanilla scented. :( Not a major thing...but it sucks for me.

I have never heard about this trick. Might have to try it.
Dylan started going into the trash after my roommate's used chewing tobacco. :puke:
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior