"Ah-ha" Moments...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amazincc » June 4th, 2011, 8:37 am

Pit♥bull wrote:Nice to see ya back Christine :dance:

:wave2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 13th, 2011, 7:33 am

I took Inara to a VERY crowded dog event yesterday. The weather was chilly and damp so I didn't expect it to be so busy, otherwise I wouldn't have taken her. But she did great! I did have her on a prong (don't actually use it, she's just smart to it). She walked right by so many other dogs, both big and small, and didn't bat an eye. The only dog she went for was this nasty GSD that made Inara look downright dog-friendly - he was barking and lunging madly at EVERY dog that came within 15' of him. So Inara returned the favor but recovered very quickly as soon as we were past him. She got lots of people lovin's and I had a group ask if they could adopt her from me. :)

All in all, totally outstanding event for her! Glad I gave her a chance to shine. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TinaMartin » June 13th, 2011, 8:24 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I took Inara to a VERY crowded dog event yesterday. The weather was chilly and damp so I didn't expect it to be so busy, otherwise I wouldn't have taken her. But she did great! I did have her on a prong (don't actually use it, she's just smart to it). She walked right by so many other dogs, both big and small, and didn't bat an eye. The only dog she went for was this nasty GSD that made Inara look downright dog-friendly - he was barking and lunging madly at EVERY dog that came within 15' of him. So Inara returned the favor but recovered very quickly as soon as we were past him. She got lots of people lovin's and I had a group ask if they could adopt her from me. :)

All in all, totally outstanding event for her! Glad I gave her a chance to shine. :)

Thats really awesome!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » June 13th, 2011, 8:44 am

:confetti:

Yea for your Inara!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hundilein » June 13th, 2011, 9:52 am

WTG Liz and Inara!

I think my new strategy of keeping my wits about me and playing "Look at That" instead of completely losing it when Renee starts barking maniacally out the window at squirrels and cats instead is working. The barking seems to have lessened overall and yesterday she actually stopped barking and looked at me when I called her name. And that almost makes up for me having to carry her inside the day before that after she found the neighbor's cat on the other side of the fence and would not stop barking at him. The cat didn't care at all. He was lounging within 3 feet of the fence just batting his eyes at her. On the plus side, I managed to stay calm while I carried her in.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 2nd, 2011, 7:39 am

Puzzle has learned that it's fun to retrieve a ball...if mom will TUG the ball while it's in her mouth! Yea! One more step towards flyball stardom!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » July 3rd, 2011, 7:58 pm

Worked Riggs with the lawnmower today. He HATES lawnmowers. It doesn't matter if they are gas or manual, he will attack them - even if they are not on, even if they are not moving. So I had him on the zip line and was trying to mow and keep him under control. We had some success, he would heel for a few steps, then launch forward and grab the wheel, then come back to heel...

I gave up when he yanked me forward so hard the mower almost flipped over and that could have been ugly.

So I went and got some treats and Demo ran the mower while we did obedience right next to it. He didn't even glance at it. Woo Hoo!

We'll work recalls past it after a few more sessions...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » July 3rd, 2011, 9:02 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Puzzle has learned that it's fun to retrieve a ball...if mom will TUG the ball while it's in her mouth! Yea! One more step towards flyball stardom!

Puzzle went and FOUND a ball in the toy basket today! She brought it right to me for tuggies! She NEVER picks up balls! Our game is working!

TheRedQueen

Postby airwalk » July 4th, 2011, 1:33 pm

amazincc wrote:Sepp has been using a bell attached to the door knob to let me know when he needs to go out to potty since he was a small puppy... last week he discovered, all on his own, that the bell is also a great tool to let me know when he wants to come back in. Cracks me up on a daily basis... my dog now has his very own door (wo)man! lol

Well it's about time you started earning your kibble :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby amalie79 » July 5th, 2011, 9:58 pm

River's been going to advanced manners classes-- they call her "the homeschooler" since she did her (relatively pointless) basic class at another place and has otherwise learned her manners from me. And she is totally the star. :D And what's even better is that the work seems to be paying off at home. We took a walk with her new harness-- she sat politely and calmly for me to "dress" her, and even helped me get the belly strap on. Then she went out the door with minimal whining and no spinning in circles. We work on an attention heel in the class, but just a loose leash on walks and she ROCKED IT. :)

Then I took Robin out (without any treats :oops: ), and she was pretty fabulous, too. Not too much pulling and we walked by kids swinging baseball bats, strangers mowing, people on bikes... The only things we moved to the other side of the road for were kids, just to be on the safe side. But I said hello to one little boy and there was nary a bark or raised hackle. I know there's still bound to be some setbacks, but we have come a looong way. :dance:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 19th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Fig did his first Service Dog demo for a group of middle school kids today...on the campus of a local community college. Once he settled in and realized that I had treats, he had a GREAT time, and was very focused and did all of his tasks beautifully. :) Then after the demo (Sawyer and Score did some too), they all got petted and fed treats by the kids...they were in heaven! Very proud of The Wiener today!

TheRedQueen

Postby amalie79 » July 23rd, 2011, 6:02 pm

We have FINALLY turned a corner with Luna-- when she follows me into the bedroom (where her crate is), she immediately goes in, sits down, and waits for her treat. :) And I can put a treat-stuffed toy in there, leave the door open, and she stays in there to eat it. She's tried to carry it out a few times, but I just toss it back in. She's getting it. :dance: Now to work on leaving her in it for longer periods of time.

Tomorrow we start our Sunday afternoon "practice sessions" with our trainer. We'll review some basics and work on distractions with other older puppies (5mos and up) who have gone through basic manners already and then puppies that are suitable playmates can possibly be introduced. We'll see how that goes. It's a LOT cheaper than doing basic manners, and since we've done other classes with this same trainer, she knows that WE know how to teach the basics and is letting us come to do distractions work. I am very grateful that we're basically getting a break. Luna's a seriously independent little girl, which means we need to develop a bond and some focus on us... ASAP. But so far, she's been a complete wiggle-butt with every person she's met (a huge relief and a pleasant change from Robin). Let's hope she keeps that up.

And speaking of Robin, we went through the coffee shop drive-thru this morning and, again, not a peep. Usually it's an unimpressed hipster dude working (which I appreciate-- no staring or fawning all over her), but today is was a college-age girl who cooed and stared and talked to Robin through the window, and not a single woof from my girl. It. was. awesome. :dance: :dance:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 27th, 2011, 10:33 am

I bought a new Bob-A-Lot from Petco yesterday...50% off.

I brought it in the house last night...and my gang was immediately on top of the thing, trying to knock it out of my hand...Fig took it and started batting it around. No food inside yet...but they immediately got the concept. On the other hand, we're on day two of the boarding flat-coat staring and licking ineffectually at the Wobbler full of his dinner, in his crate.

TheRedQueen

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior