Odd Question

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby FAB dogs » February 20th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Fenway is currently working on his loose leash walking skills. When I take him to the park and it’s just the two of us, he does very well. In class with 6 other dogs, on the other hand, it’s a whole other story. He’s young and we’re working on it, but eventually I’d like to be able to walk all three dogs together. Since Fenway and Avery are both rather excitable dogs, I’m thinking about getting no pull harnesses for the pair of them.

But . . .

When he’s a little older, I’d like to get Fenway into some weight pulls (if we can find any in the area). So my question is will discouraging him pulling on walks be detrimental to training him for weight pulling? I know the two harnesses are totally different in style and positioning, but my concern is repressing his pulling drive before we even get started.

Thoughts or comments?
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2011, 10:12 pm

My dogs wear Easy walks when I don't want them to pull...but when put into regular harnesses for flyball or walking, they pull just fine.

Different environments, etc.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2011, 10:12 pm

My dogs wear Easy walks when I don't want them to pull...but when put into regular harnesses for flyball or walking, they pull just fine.

"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby plebayo » February 20th, 2011, 10:31 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:My dogs wear Easy walks when I don't want them to pull...but when put into regular harnesses for flyball or walking, they pull just fine.

I have to agree with this. I think when you're weight pulling they learn when it is time to pull. Dogs also know [just like horses do!] that there's a difference in equipment. A weight pull harness is different than a no pull harness. Seth totally knows the difference between his prong collar and his flat collar. He also gets really excited to wear his prong collar because it means he gets lots of cookies and he gets to work. When you start actually learning to do weight pull he will know what the harness means.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby furever_pit » February 20th, 2011, 11:24 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about Fenway being more excited in class around the other dogs. That's pretty normal. More distraction and all. The more he gets used to working and training around other dogs the more that will kind of phase out.

As for the harness question, the dogs will figure out the difference between a walking harness and a weight pull harness. Going for a walk at your house will have a whole different set of cues than going to compete in weight pull.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior