Barking

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby jcoffey917 » March 15th, 2011, 9:12 am

Cooper is driving me nuts...and my neighbor. I just moved into a new apartment, it's a house that is broken up into 6 apartments, and all of a sudden he is barking at every noise. He used to bark at people in my old house, but not as much as he does now. Anytime anyone comes or leaves the house, or just makes noise in their apartment that he can hear he runs to the door barking like a maniac. My sister lives upstairs and her dog is very quiet. My neighbor made a comment to her the other day that she likes Lily so much more than Cooper because Lily is so much quieter. I'm afraid she'll complain to the landlord if I can't get him to quiet down a little. Any suggestions of what I can do when I'm home or what might help when I'm not home? Me yelling at him to shut the hell up doesn't seem to be working :|
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby amalie79 » March 15th, 2011, 10:14 am

Does Cooper have a "leave it" command that applies to noises as well as things?

My guys do this, too, and luckily we live in a house. But it still drives me nuts. I try to use a "leave it" and a "come" together to redirect them, but mine don't usually get too super focused. I'm working on a "quiet" with River because she barks for every. thing. in. the. world. Whatever she wants CLEARLY warrants a bark. She's so annoying with it. I don't know what mine do when I'm not home... Robin's crated with a Kong, so hopefully she's not too awful.

Could you leave the TV or a book on tape running while you're out?

Good luck with it.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 15th, 2011, 10:31 am

"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » March 15th, 2011, 10:39 am

That article reminded me-- River barks when she wants attention or to play with one of her toys. I taught her to bring the toy to me when she wants to play, rather than bark into thin air. Now she slings the toy at me and starts barking if I don't immediately fill it with a treat. Plus, she's getting fat. We need a "not now" command. lol
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 15th, 2011, 10:41 am

amalie79 wrote:That article reminded me-- River barks when she wants attention or to play with one of her toys. I taught her to bring the toy to me when she wants to play, rather than bark into thin air. Now she slings the toy at me and starts barking if I don't immediately fill it with a treat. Plus, she's getting fat. We need a "not now" command. lol

Oh yes, we have that...we have to have that...living with Aussies...that's an important cue.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » March 15th, 2011, 1:33 pm

I am the queen (though I'm not sure anyone would want to proclaim this) of barkers, I work with an untrained barky BREED, who do nothing.

My manager and have come to the conclusion that barking can be self-rewarding behavior all on it's own.

Consequently, I have no patience for Oscar at home :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior