need advice - went aggro on Ruby

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby HappyPuppy » October 24th, 2011, 11:01 pm

I've been lucky with Ruby - she's my first dog and I've done many things wrong and haven't ruined her (yet)...

However, I just went majorly aggro on her (for an accident) and I'm wondering if I need to try to make up somehow since I was so irrational. I have never let her lick the dishes in the dishwasher but then I saw come cute pix of somebody's doxie standing in the dishwasher cleanin' up and I stopped stopping Ruby from trying to lick plates. Well, tonite, she apparently got her collar stuck (in our 1 year old dishwasher) and it made a noise and she freaked - pulled the effing bottom rack out by her collar and broke a very special plate (Harry, my husband, also broke one a year ago (now I only have 4, waah) )and I didn't speak to him for the rest of that nite). I admit I've had 3 glasses of wine (plus dinner) and I defo overreacted but I am so goddam pissed to have a wuss for a dog AND that she exploited the MISTAKE I MADE in going against my instinct and letting her lick the effing dishwasher.

So I understand I screwed up and I couldn't stop myself from screaming at her (I didn't touch her but she's so soft I might as well have). So I feel weak and embarrassed in admitting that I lost my cool but want to know, please, how or if I should try to make this right with my baby girl who is prolly feeling pretty confused right now...
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby babyreba » October 24th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Most dogs that don't have issues are pretty resilient ... I'l bet that if she has no other reason to be nervous/scared/fearful, she'll probably be very forgiving and let the incident pass if you do ... as much as I try to be patient and calm around the dogs, I've definitely lost my composure and temper and even with the delicate flower of a dog that I have in Button, he doesn't have any reason to actually fear me, so if I do raise my voice or act angry, it doesn't phase him a whit ...
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » October 24th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Thanks for your reply......... I really try (mostly) not to be irrational since dogs don't get it but sometimes it's so hard to stop one's self. THIS is why I am not having any skin babies!!!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 24th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Been there, done that!!

Just ignore her until YOU calm down. If necessary, put her in another room or in her crate until you chill out. Acting "sorry" may only confuse her more and make her more freaked out. Ok, you screwed up, she'll get over it much faster than you will - trust me on that one.

And I would spend some time with her showing her the dishwasher won't kill her. And remember to keep it closed at all times, now that you taught her she was allowed to eat out of it. ;)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 25th, 2011, 8:11 am

Yep, also been there, done that, felt mortified afterwards. Like Michelle said, put her away for a while if you need to until you calm down. After that, just act normal. Dogs forgive and forget much faster than we do.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » October 25th, 2011, 8:40 am

I go crazy on my dogs occasionally...usually around "that time of the month"...when I lose my head and go crazy over little things. The smart dogs know to duck and hide...

We usually have a big make-out session on the bed, where I kiss them all over and apologize for being insane. They forgive me...even the sensitive ones.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby HappyPuppy » October 25th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Thanks, guys - she doesn't seem to be afraid of the dishwasher today... This is the 2nd time her bone-shaped collar tag has caught on something. Maybe I need to switch to round ones ???
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby furever_pit » October 25th, 2011, 6:12 pm

These things happen to everyone I am pretty sure.
Most dogs will get over the incident with very little to-do about it. I would do the same as has already been suggested, put her away and let her out when you have moved on.
I think Ruby will be just fine and I don't actually see a reason to go "make up" with her. Just be normal.
That's how I deal with my dogs and they bounce back from verbal correction easily and move on quickly. It's here, it's gone, we're buddies, it's whatever.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior