What do you guys think?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby plebayo » October 30th, 2011, 12:26 am

I also want to add your suggestions are not falling on deaf ears. We're crating/rotating and he has had limited supervised interactions with my dogs.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » October 30th, 2011, 2:24 am

I just wasn't prepared for the response that I got, that's for sure.

I'm not sure what you were looking for, but I'm sorry if you found what I said hurtful. I'm not "retracting" anything that I said, but it wasn't said in a mean spirit, just concerned. (Mine and everyone eles's as well.)

I do not think you are incapable of making good choices for him, or that you aren't making the best choices for him that you can. However, like you said, you asked for opinions... and got them.

But here is something to consider, people from vastly different backgrounds, with vastly different training styles and philosophies who rarely agree have had mostly the same opinion on this topic. And I think that says something.

You are 100% correct, you are the only one who is in daily contact with the dog, so only you can make judgements about what is best for him. We can only go by what you tell us, so there is always some loss of communication in what you say, what I read, and how I interpret it.

I'm really glad to see that the doctor is willing to listen to what you have to say about how you want Sepp treated at work, and I hope he follows through with it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » November 2nd, 2011, 4:24 pm

mnp13 wrote:I think:

1. You've only had him four days. He shouldn't be going to work with you.

2. That person has no business bothering him in his crate. You don't just "go say hi" to a dog you don't know through a crate door, a lot comes into play - barrier frustration, territorial, and being cornered.

3. If there is some "rule" that dogs must be friendly in their crates at your work, and/or this person knows that little about dog behavior and will continue acting that way, don't bring him back.

Absolutely, 100% ditto.

Can I add how much I just love when vets all of a sudden become the resident behaviorist? :rolleyes2:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » November 2nd, 2011, 4:26 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Personally, I would have done at least a two week crate shut down for him. He's been through a *terrible* amount of stress and I think you're just adding to it at this point.

Another ditto.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior