Diesel dog aggressive

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby donnynannette » March 22nd, 2012, 8:56 pm

Thanks guys. Im very proud of him. Still looking for a trainer. I emailed leslie mcdevitt but she is pregnant with twins so she gave me another email but she doesnt work in the reading area so she is going to give me some other emails of people that hav experience with pittys. :dance:
donnynannette
Just Whelped

Postby donnynannette » June 26th, 2012, 12:08 am

I havent posted in such a long time. Today I thought i was going to have a panic attack. My kids are out of school so my youngest daughter who has always had a way with dogs and loves helping me train diesel asked if she could help me take the dogs for a walk. I said sure but lets take them out back and wear them out a little. We took them out in the alley amd let them play and then we started a walk. We got around the corner and we were walking up the street and a huge chocolate lab came running full blast at us. She had my little dog so i told her to let scrappy go over to he dog to keep his attention off of diesel. I heard the labs owner yelling for him but he was not listening. I didnt want to freak out because my daughter was with me. The lab wasnt very interested in scrappy so he came over to me and diesel. I tried body blocking the lab so he couldnt get to us but it didnt work he went around me. I told diesel to come and walked backwards so diesel would be facing me the lab jumped on diesels back i told him to stay so he was still focused on me. He was still crying and yelping but he wasnt going after the lab. By this time the owner finally caught up she admitted she didnt have her dog on a leash and he loves other dogs. I explained that my dog doesnt and that her dog was trying to be very dominate over diesel. This could have been so much worse im so glad diesel was listening to me and didnt try lunging even though he was yelping he was somewhat in control of himself. Now if only i can get him to stop the yelping we would be great. He has been doing fantastic with loose leash walking and all other obedience.
donnynannette
Just Whelped

Postby Tubular Toby » June 29th, 2012, 4:00 am

Wow, sounds like you're doing a fabulous job! Congrats!!
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby donnynannette » July 12th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Another proud moment. I took diesel for a walk tonight and there is a garage that has 3 dogs that always make diesel go crazy so on the way up we walked on the other side of the street and i didnt see them out. We walked our usual walk and on the way back i walked on the side with the garage the dogs are behind a fence but it is chain link. We walked by and one of the dogs came running over i remained calm. I just kept walking and didnt make a big deal out of it i just acted like i didnt see the dog. Diesel did not cry or try to pull me over to the other dog. I told him good boy but not to excited lol. When i get excited he gets excited. A little further up a lady was walking jack russel he looked right at it and then looked at me no crying. OMG progress lol. Its taken a lot of hard work and i still get nervous i which i knew better how to remain calm. We continued on our walk and we walked about a half block behind the jack russel and he didnt make a sound. WE got up the block and i saw two unleashed pittys running around at the park. I didnt see an owner so we turned the other way. i didnt want to end this wonderful night on a bad note. LOL. If anyone has any ideas on how i can keep myself more relaxed when walking him i would appreciate it i know me getting tense makes him worse. Thanks
donnynannette
Just Whelped

Postby donnynannette » November 4th, 2012, 7:21 pm

I havent posted in such a long time. Ive been busy training diesel. Diesel was not responding to any of the training that i was doing so i finally had to get an electric shock collar. This is not the route i wanted to go. I always despised them and thought of them as torture devices. I did lots and lots and lots of research and countless videos. He was getting so bad on the leash when we past other dogs and lunging no treats were working it didnt matter how far away i was. If he could smell them he was loud. I started the shock collar training and we have made great progress with him. He now only needs the beeper once in a while and if he starts acting up and the sound doesnt work i can use it on a setting one and he stops. I hate that i had to do this but i live in a city so there are to many other dogs that are off leash and come at us any minute. He know has learned to ignore other dogs and looks away for the most part when we walk by, Im sure he will always need the shock collar but as long as hes good and we can go for a walk im happy and so is he. ALso i wanted to let everyone know that i started a facebook site for all of us pit bull lovers.

Feel free to join and share. https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/377719245639336/
donnynannette
Just Whelped

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior