Hi everybody, Jerry's here

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby jecust » July 19th, 2010, 7:17 am

Hi folks

My name is Jerry, I am 35 years old and live in New York. My aunt had a pitbull years ago and my woman and I are thinking about getting a dog. I don't want to get a "usual" dog, I am thinking about getting a pitbull since I have a little experience with that kind of dogs. I know that it won't be easy having a pitbull but I suppose we would have sufficient time to take care of a dog, do some training and go to the park with him regularly.

Looking forward to interesting discussions, I am gonna start browsing the forum to see if a pitbull would be a good choice for us.
jecust
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » July 19th, 2010, 7:22 am

Hi Jerry! Welcome! Glad you found the forum, and I'm sure you'll find it extremely helpful! :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 19th, 2010, 7:28 am

"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » July 19th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Well, hello there, Jerry from NY. :wave2:

I was wondering why you say it wouldn't be easy having a dog/Pit Bull. Do you live in NYC or something? :confused: If you "suppose" you would have sufficient time to take care of a dog, maybe you should be SURE you do. (Juts some motherly advice) :smileUp:

There are a few great shelters run by CACC. http://www.nycacc.org/ They have LOTS of dogs for adoption. The staff evaluate them and know them rather well.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » July 19th, 2010, 2:00 pm

WELCOME Jerry 'and woman'. :+) :wave2: :neener:

Yes, Joyce is right; the world is full of unwanted pit bulls who desperately need forever homes so please please look to adopt, not buy.
If time *may* be a factor for you, Please make sure you search for an older more laid back pitbull to adopt. These dogs Are Working/Sporting Dogs and need to have a lot of interaction and exercise. :wink:
If you work with Rescues, they can help match a dog for your life style.

This forum is, (in my humble opinion) the best on the web. We are lucky to have a WIDE variety of members who know A LOT about this breed.
I came to the forum a year and a half ago, having adopted an 11 week old, and had had NO prior experience with Pit Bulls. I"ve NEVER once regretted getting Dar, but there have been many many times having this forum to help with training/health and behavior questions was a godsend!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby iluvk9 » July 19th, 2010, 2:38 pm

ArtGypsy wrote: If time *may* be a factor for you, Please make sure you search for an older more laid back pitbull to adopt.

Oooohhhh! Good idea! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BullyLady » July 19th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Welcome!! :dance:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby flibgit » July 20th, 2010, 8:27 am

Hi there and welcome! Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. :)

I second (third?) the advice to go through a rescue and look for an older dog. Many awesome older dogs are overlooked simply because they're not as cute and cuddly-looking as the little babies. My Tanner was about 7 when we pulled him out of the police shelter. Sweetest, snuggliest guy I'd ever met. And VERY appreciative to have toys, hugs, and a bed to sleep on. And he knew a LOT! Housetrained, sit, stay, walked pretty well on a leash, down, gave hugs, shook hands, and did high-fives.
Princess and the Pea Pet Beds. Extra-cushy beds for your pampered pets.
http://www.princessandpeapetbed.etsy.com
flibgit
Just Whelped

Postby BullyLady » July 20th, 2010, 10:03 pm

flibgit wrote: And VERY appreciative to have toys, hugs, and a bed to sleep on. And he knew a LOT! Housetrained, sit, stay, walked pretty well on a leash, down, gave hugs, shook hands, and did high-fives.

I third, fourth, and fifth the rescue dog suggestion!! All our dogs have been rescue dogs, and Shelby was our first puppy rescue. Potty training is a $*#&! :giggle: Soooo much easier when they come to you not wanting to piddle in the house!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby jecust » July 21st, 2010, 5:43 am

Thanks for all the good advice. If it's gonna be pitbull, then I'll go to the dog shelter first and have a look at the dogs there. Getting an older one is a good idea since the training a puppy can be very time consuming and the younger ones usually need lot of attention.
jecust
Just Whelped

Postby Pit♥bull » July 21st, 2010, 6:09 am

jecust wrote:very time consuming and the younger ones usually need lot of attention.
They all take a lot of time and need a lot of attention kinda like your 'woman'.
Have you considered a stuffed toy? :nono:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby luvmypitbull » July 21st, 2010, 12:37 pm

Hi Jerry and welcome!

They all take a lot of time and need a lot of attention kinda like your 'woman'.

Truer words were never spoken!!! Regardless of the breed, any and all dogs/animals require attention of all type. But, to me, what we are all trying to say, is that pit bulls are very special creatures! They have been so mistreated by a lot of people and so misunderstood by many more people and that doesn't even take into consideration, the bad reviews given by the media!!!

As I am sure you are already aware, all of us are advocates of the breed. We want everyone to know what loving, loyal "friends" our pit bulls can be. But in the process, we all have to take responsibility in making sure that WE do not set our 'fur-friends' up for failure.

There is a lot of information out there about owning and handling the breed. Read and research all you can while you are trying to decide. And remember, all of us have personalities, even animals! Find your match!

Now, let me try briefly to tell you about my recent experience. I lost my fur-friend of 14 years in January. And I must add, he was a grand ole fellow that I miss terribly!!! Anyway, after a little time I decided I was ready to look for another buddy. Due to my circumstances here, I felt like it was best for me to find a puppy. Well, I did!!! I have had her about 3 weeks and let me tell you, I had forgotten how it was to have a pup!!! So much training to deal with !!! However, she stole our hearts the first night, so what can I say????? ha ha

Good luck in finding your new pet or your new pet finding you!!! Keep us posted as you go.
luvmypitbull
Just Whelped

Postby PetieMarie22 » July 21st, 2010, 1:34 pm

luvmypitbull wrote:Regardless of the breed, any and all dogs/animals require attention of all type.

Like training! Getting my dog into sports and obediance class has been an excellent choice for us. Each time she amazes me and more and more and I can't wait to see what she can learn to do next!
It's also a great bonding experience between owner and dog. AND you get to meet lots of cool people with great information! AND she has learned how to behave better in public so people can't legitimatly talk smack about her because she's a pit bull. AND.... just kidding! I'm done!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 24th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Introductions