Newbie from Arizona

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby suzett41 » June 21st, 2011, 1:08 pm

Hello,

My name is Suzy M. I live in Green Valley, Arizona.
I currently have two dogs, Star and Sierra, one is is a Pit Bull mix- Sierra
I volunteer with a rescue group called Forever Yours, and the founder rescues all dogs but has a focus on Pit Bulls. Through this group I have learned so much about how the reputation is false regarding Pit Bulls...it's amazing to me how ignorance can spread like wildfire but then again so can truth, so I will focus on that.

I took in a foster dog, Sierra a couple of years ago. Sierra was scared and depressed. She has scars all over her body - mostly legs - and I don't know the history. She quickly became part of our family and needless to say, is no longer a foster dog. Sierra has learned to be a "normal" dog...she stills hides behind me when she meets stangers,but she is very friendly with all of her familar dog park friends and she now goes up to people ( even men now)! to smell their hands. This took well over a year for her to start doing this.

We had a horrible incident with the dogs last year.. a friend came to my house and dropped her two dogs off to meet me at a class. These dogs spend a lot of time together at he park and my house,but they had never been left alone together. At the time I had another dog, a Westie named Abby. My friend left a cooked , store bought chicken on the kitchen counter. I came home to find Abby had been attacked. I don't know who all was involved,but Sierra was the only dog with blood on her. Sadly, Abby die two days later.
I feel like the dogs were put in a bad situation; left alone together, food on the counter.
Still, out of fear and not knowing what really happened, I have not taken in any more foster dogs.
This is my passion, and I thought I would someday have a little piece of land and have a small sanctuary for Pit Bulls and other troubled animals. Now I question if I am capable.

Anyway, I am here to learn and share. I look forward to meeting all of you!
Suzy

Adopt, dont buy while so many shelter dogs die!
suzett41
Just Whelped

Postby Pit♥bull » June 21st, 2011, 4:23 pm

Welcome to PBT Suzy :wave2:

While you are waiting on approval to post elsewhere I suggest doing a search on this board on 'dog park'
It will be very enlightening. :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » June 21st, 2011, 4:45 pm

Welcome to the forum. :wave2:

I am very sorry for your loss of Abby.

While Admin does not like us to yap about other things in an introduction, I would like to ease your heart a little in reference to this:
suzett41 wrote:I feel like the dogs were put in a bad situation; left alone together, food on the counter.
Still, out of fear and not knowing what really happened, I have not taken in any more foster dogs.
This is my passion, and I thought I would someday have a little piece of land and have a small sanctuary for Pit Bulls and other troubled animals. Now I question if I am capable.

Yes, they were all put in a bad situation and it was a recipe for disaster. Your little Abby paid the price and I am sure it will always be something you will regret. With that said, Angelou Maya has a saying that I would like to share with you: "When I knew better, I did better". Don't give up on your passion to help dogs. Just do it better next time.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby suzett41 » June 22nd, 2011, 1:13 am

@iluvk9: Thank you for the thoughtful response....I am going to sit with that saying from Maya Angelou for a bit.
So kind of you to offer it. Thanks
suzett41
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » June 22nd, 2011, 10:16 am

Welcome you should have complete access now. :) I say should since im on my phone.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » June 22nd, 2011, 10:38 am

Did everyone notice I said her name backwards? 8) I am a dork like Truman.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » June 22nd, 2011, 12:16 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I am a dork like Truman.
We've known this all along :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Return to Introductions