Hey there!

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby puppylove » October 12th, 2011, 12:53 pm

Hey there! My name is Sarah. I am an owner of an American Pitbull Terrier mix (with what? not completely sure but I believe she has some bulldog in her). She is a very sweet girl...in fact, her name IS Sweetie! We are her third home, and her forever home. People will often say how good of a dog she is, some say she is better natured than their children :neener: From the very beginning I have treated her like the playful, confident, good natured dog that she is (treating your dog like a nice dog, I believe, will help make them nicer, as opposed to thinking she can attack at any time. I believe being in that mind state can make your dog more nervous). She is never without human contact, which also plays a part in her good natured behavior. We even let her sleep in bed with us! I love my puppy.

Some of you may find the fact that I take her to socialize with other dogs at dog parks & trails (now only about once a week, but when she was young we went daily) a bad thing. I have taken her to populated dog parks, where she gets along with everyone (whenever a dog comes at her and starts barking, she does what she can to stop the escalation, by walking away, rolling on back, laying down, or me taking her away). But lately I have been taking her to a trail that doesn't have many dogs, and the dogs that are there are more "rough" dogs who like to rumble. I feel that depriving her from this experience makes her less happy...she is very sweet around humans but has a lot of playful energy that she is simply not allowed to show us all the time (but that dogs love to be shown!!). Dogs like being chased and wrestled with....me on the other hand can't do this as well as a dog can. I always introduce her to the other dogs while on leash, and only take her off after all the dogs accept her.

The main reason I joined this forum is because she has a mild case of mange. We went to a VCA emergency hospital in our area (san diego) and she was prescribed a skin topical....and it seemed to have made it worse. We switched her dog food to Wellness Super5 (about 1.5 months ago), because I am aware that mange is caused by a compromised immune system. We started bathing her in a safe mix of Apple Cider Vinegar, water, and Borax about a week ago, and it seems to be improving (it looks better in the morning possibly because she hasn't eaten yet that day...which brings me to my next point....). I am thinking that maybe the underlying cause for the mange could be food allergies. Is there anything in Wellness Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy health that my dog could be allergic to? I thought it was hypo allergenic? She doesn't get too many treats, but her treats DO have wheat flour in them. Possibly she is allergic to fleas? But she is on flea medicine and the mange didn't get better as a result. Should I change her shampoo? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

That's all! Thanks for any help you can give!
puppylove
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 12th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Welcome! Just so you know, your first several posts will have to approved like this one was. :)

We will indeed disagree with you about your off-leash activities with Sweetie. :wink:

Now that you have access to the forum, start a thread in the Health/Nutrition section - more people will see your skin issue questions there.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » October 12th, 2011, 4:54 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: WELCOME SARAH!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Return to Introductions