Want opinions/explanations on video

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Miakoda » March 7th, 2006, 7:19 pm

I'm sure many of you have seen the following clip as it's been circulated all over the internet for "shock" value. Since I am very limited in this area, I was wondering what all you protection/bite work people think of the video. Mind you that the training is obviously done in another country (the funny language spoken gives it away :wink: ), but I noticed some things that I am often curious about--such as the dog redirecting on it's handler after being pulled off the target.

Anways, without further ado...........
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/744/
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 7:41 pm

It's in France.

Many police dogs don't 'out' so they have to be forced off of the bite. (or so I've been told)

The re-direct onto the handler is usually frusteration.

I've never seen the video before, but watching those dogs leap small cars in a single bound is impressive.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » March 7th, 2006, 7:51 pm

It's not all that unusual for the redirection bites to occur with that breed of dog. Mals often "bite first, ask questions later" and can easily become frustrated when in drive. Also much of it depends on the training and handling of the dogs.
The dogs in question here belong to something that's probably very similar to a SWAT team where they deal with situations that are above the norm. Swift and hard is needed for that job and your typical police dog wouldn't be of the same caliber or temperment.
I could be wrong but it seems to me that in European countries a sharper dog is not considered "unsound" or looked down upon like is often done in this country.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Miakoda » March 7th, 2006, 7:53 pm

I figured so. However, I can promise you one thing: if I ever go to France, there is not a chance in hell I would ever break the law! :P

On another note, I do find the dogs impressive to say the least. I for one would not ever volunteer to take a bit/hit from those dogs!
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby odnarb » March 7th, 2006, 8:04 pm

pocketpit wrote:It's not all that unusual for the redirection bites to occur with that breed of dog. Mals often "bite first, ask questions later" and can easily become frustrated when in drive.

My various wounds can attest to that!

The dogs in question here belong to something that's probably very similar to a SWAT team where they deal with situations that are above the norm. Swift and hard is needed for that job and your typical police dog wouldn't be of the same caliber or temperment.
I could be wrong but it seems to me that in European countries a sharper dog is not considered "unsound" or looked down upon like is often done in this country.

Exactly. These are their equivilant to SWAT teams. Those dogs are bullets with fur, not the typical police dog. They are deployed so that they don't have to shoot people.
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Miakoda » March 7th, 2006, 8:30 pm

They are deployed so that they don't have to shoot people

LOL. I think I'd rather be shot thank you. :biggun:
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Return to Sports