Nisha in the PDC on Saturday

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby katiek0417 » May 20th, 2008, 11:52 am

So, we had a beautiful day to trial in Sanford, NC on Saturday. Jerry Bradshaw and the rest of the Tarheel Canine crew had an awesome location (as always)...first up was the PDC's. There were 5 of us doing it. We went through the handler's meeting. I had pre-registered, and, as such, I was told that I could go last. However, I was feeling sick to my stomach (par for the course on trial days), so I said I'd go first.

The PDC obedience routine is basically the following. You come to the start cone with your dog's leash on the dead ring of a fursaver or choke chain, and you are asked if your dog has an AKC (stop in front then go to heel) finish or service (come directly to heel) finish. Rick Furrow (East Coast Asst Director for PSA) was judging and Jerry Bradshaw was stewarding. I told Jerry that Nisha would be doing the service finish. The first task is to leave your dog (in any position), and walk forward about 15 feet. You are told to halt, then with your back facing the dog, recall your dog to heel. Nisha came a little early, but settled into a nice heel position. Then you are to proceed forward. There was a right turn, then an about turn, then 2 gunfire during heeling, then a left turn (so I'm on my way back to the start cone). You have to figure 8 2 cones, then stop in the middle. You are told to down your dog, leave your dog, turn and face your dog, then return to your dog. Then you are told to resit your dog before picking up the leash. Finally, proceed forward during which time you are told to leave your dog. This is a motion exercise. You are to leave your dog in a down/sit/stand while you are still walking. Then you proceed to the start cone, told to face your dog, then recall your dog. Points are taken off for extra commands, handler help, slow recalls, slow motion exercises, etc. Nisha's routine wasn't that pretty...while she had a perfect attention heel by the car, she was now looking all around. She also got a little squirrely during the gunfire. Also, after the about turn, I noticed she was limping, it wasn't until later when another competitor's dog started limping at the same part of the routine that I realized she was being attacked by fire ants! Her finish was awful, and she finished in front rather than in a heel position.

At the start cone, and leaving her there:

Heeling:

Recall at the end:

However, we passed, so we got to go on to bitework. There are three scenarios: a carjack, a handler attack from behind, and a courage test. She screwed up in the handler attack, though...so she didn't pass on Saturday.

Greg and I have agreed that the carjack is the one she excels in:

Funny thing about the carjack, though. Greg was the decoy for it (I said I didn't care since I knew she'd bite him). Well, he brings a lot of pressure, and never stops moving his arm after the initial presentation. Well, at the initial presentation, she only got a little bit, and when she went to counter, she lost her grip. He kept moving his arm, so she took the only thing she could get: his hand. Yes, she bit him for real. He yanked his hand out, and re-presented!

Handler attack:

Courage test:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » May 20th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Way to go Ni-ni!

John and I are still laughing about Greg's new "tattoo"...do we get to see pics of that too? Seems to be the thing to do around here on PBT...lol

Great pics...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » May 20th, 2008, 1:54 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Way to go Ni-ni!

John and I are still laughing about Greg's new "tattoo"...do we get to see pics of that too? Seems to be the thing to do around here on PBT...lol

Great pics...

I think I can get pics of that! Oh, and I MUST thank Sandi Burlarley for taking pics of me when i was trialing...it's a little hard to take pics of myself! And....notice the collar Nisha is wearing in the carjack? Thank you, Lisa! Yes, that is a custom made agitation collar from Collarmania! It was a big hit!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » May 20th, 2008, 2:10 pm

YAY, Nisha - GREAT job!!! :clap:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » May 20th, 2008, 3:31 pm

:clap:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 20th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Well done! :rock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pocketpit » May 20th, 2008, 5:47 pm

I love the courage test photo!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 20th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Good job Nisha and Katrina!!!!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ellie@ny » May 20th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Congrats Katrina!!!Great job!!! :cheer:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Return to Sports