Opinions on this Club

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby furever_pit » September 23rd, 2008, 7:57 pm

Broward Schutzhund Club:
http://browardschutzhundclub.com/index.php?page=home

I am taking Dylan this Saturday to see the club. From what I see on the website it seems like a good place to go. Right now my only reservation is that the TD has had no apparent experience with bulldog breeds. Is it really 100% vital that our trainer be experienced with dogs like Dylan? Looking over the site her training ideals match up a lot with my own and I'm wondering if that is enough.

Depending on how it goes Saturday evening...cause I can't make a real decision until I see the trainers and the other dogs in action....this club would work out great for us. The OB and protection phases are late enough on Saturdays that I will be able to attend unless I am doing the boarding at the shelter (a situation I will make clear to the TD from the get go). Plus, the early morning tracking sessions are on my day off! How cool is that?

Anyway, just really looking for other people's opinions on this particular club. If you see a problem or something please let me know. I mean, it looks good to me but I'm really interested in y'all's more experienced opinions.

Thanks!!!
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » September 23rd, 2008, 8:41 pm

I like it...but I do think it's important to have experience with bully breeds...they definitely need to work differently than herders...

See what they say when you go there, and get a feel for them...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby DemoDick » September 24th, 2008, 2:13 am

They have a ton of videos on YouTube. I commented on one of them because the decoy spent the majority of the session yelling at the handler. Not sure if that was an abberation or what. Check them out and see if you like what you see.

I do think that bulldog experience is very important for bitework. If the decoys don't have it but will admit it and learn how to work your dog, then you might be okay. If they think they can develop your dog because they can develop herders...wrong answer.

Good luck!

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby furever_pit » September 25th, 2008, 9:52 am

I never think about looking at YouTube for some reason. Will do though. Thanks Demo Dick.

I'll admit that I don't know much about bite work at all. So I don't really understand how the decoy would have to work the dogs differently. I guess that's something I'll learn about once we join a club.

I've also heard about a guy who works with ABs who isn't too far from me. I'm working on getting his contact info and want to check him out too. Also planning on looking at Balabanov's facility in Plant City. I figure the more clubs the better of an idea I'll have of what I really want to join.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby babyreba » September 25th, 2008, 12:24 pm

there is a difference in what the dog gets out of it and what motivates the dog . . . one of the guys i've trained with reminded me recently that while a lot of dogs, such as herders, are into the "winning" aspect of bitework (subduing the bad guy, taking control of the situation and ending up on top), a lot of pit bulls are into it for the fight and may well look at a prolonged fight with the bad guy as the reward itself and may well lose interest if they start to win too easily.

so when you're building a dog up, some dogs are going to need lots of positive associations . . . for some dogs, that's going to mean a lot of "wins" and slipping them the sleeve a lot to give them that sense that they've accomplished their goal. you may see a lot of dogs run a circle with the sleeve in their mouths, they look quite proud and satisfied.

for others (like my dog), there isn't a whole lot of joy in the "win" itself because it means the fight is done . . . he'll "win" the sleeve but he won't run a circle with it and feel like he's got one over on someone. he shakes the sleeve and tries to engage it some more, realizes that it won't fight back, then goes right back to the helper to try to engage in more fighting . . . .

of course, not every dog is the same, and some shepherds or herders will want to go back for more and some pit bulls will be over the moon about simply winning that sleeve. but i think if you look at bull breeds in general, a lot of them get a lot of pleasant adrenaline and stimulation from the fight itself and someone working those dogs needs to be aware of that . . .
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby furever_pit » September 25th, 2008, 1:04 pm

Thanks babyreba! I can definitely see how the higher fight drive would affect bite work like that. Good to know.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 25th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Excellent post!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Sports