Sherman pulled a gallon of water woo hoo

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby HappyPuppy » December 8th, 2008, 10:18 pm

So, Sherman (SBT @ 44lbs) has the muskools to be a decent weight puller, methinks, tho I don't know much about it. I've only seen 1 pull. I'm still getting to know him and figure out his drive(s). Tonite I jury rigged his walking harness (I know it's the wrong type of harness) - just to see what he'd do with a whopping gallon jug of water. I fastened the horizonrals (rope) to the harness about his mid ribs on each side (maybe should put them lower down his rib cage?) and put a piece of PVC as the perpendicular spacer about a foot behind him and then tied the 2 ends of that to a jug. I only took him up and back in the back yard 3 or 4 times and then took it off. He walked pretty well but wanted to chew on the bottle. Took come coaxing on the home stretch but I had gotten so excited to 'try it out' that I forgot treats (and I have a brand new treat bag, too, darnit!) I thought I'd end on quick/positive note because he got tangled up in it a few times after turning around to get at it and the ropes got crossed. Maybe I should make the PVC a little longer (it's only about a foot)? I don't want to invest in a WP harness before I determine if he's got the interest and attitude but he's a beefy little guy and might do ok at it. My husband is not super supportive of it as an 'activity' but I could be playing in a tennis league instead, and I'm not, so it's the same type of thing to me. We've only had Sherman since Oct 25, so I'm still working on getting him in shape and getting to know him. He could really buff out and get ripply if I tried hard enough. Rrrrrroooowwwwza! He's a fun guy and pretty mellow but he chases his ball (and small furry critters) with great gusto tho he bores quickly or doesn't have much stamina and he'll lay down to chew on the ball when I think he should still be going. Just having fun imagining the posibilities with our new boy.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 8th, 2008, 10:38 pm

And where are the pics? :| :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » December 9th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Cool, Maddie would probably just sit down and look behind her. :lol3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » December 9th, 2008, 12:54 pm

At the beginning a lot of weight pull is getting them used to having something behind them. It's good he was not freaking out about it. If you decide to continue get a short length of chain instead of the jug, it will pull smoother and not bounce around.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Sports