Flyball Explained

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby fenella » March 25th, 2009, 5:08 pm

I posted a little video on YouTube using team footage that explains how flyball works, if anyone is interested...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVbiiyI4Wo
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » March 25th, 2009, 5:33 pm

That was great! Thanks!

Who did the narration and was that Murphy in the crating area at the end of the video?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 25th, 2009, 6:00 pm

What a fantastic video!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby fenella » March 25th, 2009, 11:05 pm

It was Murphy. It (sadly) was my voice on the video. I offered it up to the other members of my team to re-record it though. I don't like the sound of my own voice.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby fenella » March 25th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Oh, and it is Erin and Score when the "The Handlers" title pops up. Score is wearing his sexy new flyball harness!
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 25th, 2009, 11:59 pm

It sounds (and looks) great! Your voice is in teacher mode...lol

Look at my pupple flyin'!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » March 26th, 2009, 5:55 pm

I thought your voice sounded PERFECT. You spoke slowly, and very it was very clear. GOOD JOB!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » March 26th, 2009, 7:05 pm

Very good, I enjoyed it!!

How do the box people know which ball, and which box side? I wouldn't want that job it would stress me. lol
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » March 26th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Jenn wrote:How do the box people know which ball, and which box side? I wouldn't want that job it would stress me. lol

That's part of the practice...knowing all of the dogs by sight/name...all of their names are on top of the box, printed on paper, and taped down. The names are on the side they use, plus the ball type...(tennis, practice, Lg squishy, Sm squishy or cat balls). The dogs run in order, so once you get the pattern down, it's pretty easy!

The hard part of being a box loader is knowing who is coming at you on a re-run... :shock: getting the right ball in the right hole just in time! lol Our anchor (last) dogs that can re-run quickly (turned around before reaching their handler) are the hardest ones...they barely give you any time (1-2 seconds) to get the right ball. We call it the "Elwood re-run"...after my old dog who would usually be literally breathing on the boxloader's hand for his second ball. lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » March 27th, 2009, 5:54 am

iluvk9 wrote: You spoke slowly, and very it was very clear.

Obviously, I could never do voiceovers, because I can neither speak, read or write.... 8)

I actually forgot there is a ball at the end turn. :giggle: Yes, I do know the sport is called FlyBALL.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Choncho » December 14th, 2009, 6:24 pm

very nice video, very iteresting game. I saw a related video and someone had a APBT in the game!, does that count as off the leash? :? :? :|
I am working on it.
Choncho
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » December 15th, 2009, 12:23 am

Choncho wrote:very nice video, very iteresting game. I saw a related video and someone had a APBT in the game!, does that count as off the leash? :? :? :|

There are quite a few APBT and Amstaffs running flyball in our region! :D

TheRedQueen

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 2nd, 2010, 5:46 pm

Thanks for that video. My dog Petie is starting Flyball this weekend! I really didn't know exactly what it was, but everyone said it's so much fun, so I signed up. Petie just got graduated from Agility I. She LOVES the jumps and she can be FAST when prompted. The way those dogs hit that box reminds me of the way Petie hits our couch when she's being hyper and running around the house! She'll probablyc atch on quick.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » March 2nd, 2010, 7:37 pm

From someone who recently got started in flyball. I can tell you it's quite addicting!!
Is it Friday yet?? Tournament time!
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby DeeNtheChillas » March 3rd, 2010, 8:35 pm

Awesome video - I love seeing all of these different sports explained. I'd love to become active in some in the future. :)
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » March 4th, 2010, 11:58 am

PoodleMaMaKat wrote:From someone who recently got started in flyball. I can tell you it's quite addicting!!

See that is the one thing I had a hard time with. The tournaments are SOOOO long and by the end of the weekend I'm usually just fried. I would rather a 1 day event
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » March 5th, 2010, 8:51 am

maberi wrote:
PoodleMaMaKat wrote:From someone who recently got started in flyball. I can tell you it's quite addicting!!

See that is the one thing I had a hard time with. The tournaments are SOOOO long and by the end of the weekend I'm usually just fried. I would rather a 1 day event

:shock: Blasphemy! :shock:

Sunday afternoon is the recovery time for the large amounts of alcohol ingested Saturday morning to Sunday morning! :dance:

TheRedQueen

Postby maberi » March 5th, 2010, 9:45 am

TheRedQueen wrote: :shock: Blasphemy! :shock:

Sunday afternoon is the recovery time for the large amounts of alcohol ingested Saturday morning to Sunday morning! :dance:

Lol, well had I known that, I might be singing a different song :wink:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 9th, 2010, 10:19 am

Petie had her first Flyball class on Sunday and she did very well! I'm not sure what she liked more though, the game or the BARKING! LOL! Anybody have suggestions on where to get a flyball harness with a handle? I'm having a hard time finding one with a handle.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 14th, 2010, 1:03 pm

PetieMarie22 wrote:Petie had her first Flyball class on Sunday and she did very well! I'm not sure what she liked more though, the game or the BARKING! LOL! Anybody have suggestions on where to get a flyball harness with a handle? I'm having a hard time finding one with a handle.

PM Hoyden and see if she makes them, I'm not sure if she does or not.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Sports