2009 DSO - Carnival - Beginner

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby mnp13 » August 28th, 2009, 9:27 am

This year's DSO theme was Carnival, the main focus of many of the exercises was 'stay.'

Head out to the field:

Your first obstacle is the "Test of Strength"
There are three areas to choose from for points - 25, 15 and 5. You select an area and put your dog in a position of control (sit, stand or down) then you raise a hammer over your head and slam it down onto the target and try to ring the bell. If your dog breaks, you lose all of your points, so you have to make the best decision for your dog - it's all or nothing!

Once you're done with the Test of Strength you're on to the next challenge. But on the way, there is a clown who wants to sell you balloons

After you've convinced the friendly balloon seller that you really don't want to buy anything from them, you arrive at the heeling portion of your obedience. You start at the white flag, then proceed to the end of the balance beam. Step up onto the balance beam, then open an umbrella, it is up to you if you want to carry the umbrella the whole length of the balance beam or not. While you are walking, the clown continues to talk to you about his lovely balloons.

Once you're done with the balance beam, it's off to the shooting range!

Again, you have three points areas to pick from - 25, 15 and 5. You put your dog in a position of control and then go to the table and start the game. When you pull the rope there is a loud 'thump' and the plates start to spin, you then pick up the paintball gun and have to shoot three times. Once again, it's all or nothing. If your dog breaks, you lose your points, so you have to chose wisely!

Some people kept it conservative, and kept their points

Some people had long conversations before leaving their dogs

Dog sat through the initial thump

Broke at the paint ball gun... but didn't move...

Then did a down at a distance to save a few points

Now it's time for the carnival ride!!!! It's up to the handler where the dog and the handler ride. The front has a decoy, the back has balloons and stuffed animals.

After the carnival ride, the obedience only dogs go to meet the judge and then go off the field.

Oh, and about those stuffed animals in the back of the carnival ride...

For the protection dogs, it's time for the civil work: first on the tie out

Then to the car agitiation:
A friendly stranger approaches your car, and has a conversation with you

Then becomes agitated and threatening:

The final step of beginner protection is handler defense:
You put your dog in a position of control and are approached by a friendly decoy who shakes your hand and speaks to you for a few seconds.

Then the decoy grabs you and your dog comes to your defense:

And when it's all done, Rue made sure the bad guy wasn't going anywhere
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » August 28th, 2009, 12:31 pm

So awesome, looks like ya'll had a great time. :clap:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 31st, 2009, 8:45 pm

Awesome shots, Michelle!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby kera09 » August 31st, 2009, 10:46 pm

awesome pics! looks like it was a good time!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » September 1st, 2009, 7:37 am

Great pics!!
I've never heard of the DSO before but you have peaked my interest. I love seeing dogs work under heavy environmental stress.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TinaMartin » September 1st, 2009, 8:19 am

Great pics!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » September 1st, 2009, 9:16 am

I like that Connor does the bite with such style!

There is a good chance I would have had trouble with the balance beam on my own...(I'm so good at that, as you know...) did they deduct points for handler clumsiness? lol

That poor little Score looking pit bull looked a mite nervous in some of those pics...

Inara looked cool as a cucumber!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 1st, 2009, 10:11 am

TheRedQueen wrote:That poor little Score looking pit bull looked a mite nervous in some of those pics...

That's my girlfriend's pit/rott mix Echo - she actually did really well at the paintball one, didn't budge an inch.

Inara was most definitely NOT cool as a cucumber! lol Michelle just can take flattering pictures of dogs!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » September 1st, 2009, 1:42 pm

What great pics!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Return to Sports