DSO 2010 Beginner, Roaring Twenties

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Hundilein » September 2nd, 2010, 4:13 pm

madremissy wrote:Ok, Sarah start planning our trip for next year. :dance:

You got it, Missy! You have to bring Sammy along, too, though. If you don't want to compete with him, I will ;) He's just so darn adorable! And maybe we'll stop and pick up Hannah on the way.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 2nd, 2010, 4:16 pm

mnp13 wrote:
madremissy wrote:Well since you put it that way MAYBE she would do alright. :) Thanks for the explanation. It really sounds like a lot of fun. Does it count if she doesn't bite anything and just barks at the decoy? I don't know if she would bite a sleeve or something but she can bark.
Ok, Sarah start planning our trip for next year. :dance:

Liz, Erin, Deb and I competed in Obedience Only. If you read the post :wink: , you'll see that we exited the field before the protection phase of the competition. They have had an Obedience Only competition for the past three years.

After the first two years that we went, I begged and pleaded for them to add that category for those of us who have dogs that don't do bitework. It turned out that they had actually discussed the idea in the past, but had not done it. Evidently, I was annoying... um... convincing :) ... enough to have them try it. The first year they only did Beginner, then last year they added Intermediate.

Last year, I pulled Riggs out of Protection and instead of not trialing at all, I put him in Obedience. Deb's dog Conan is also an ex-protection dog who trialed in Obedience. Even though one Protection competitor had a "few things to say" about the Obedience category and how the dogs didn't know what the decoys were anyway, she didn't know what she was yapping about. Riggs knows perfectly well what a decoy is, he's just not allowed to bite them anymore.

(Well, actually, Deb also competed with one of her dogs in protection, but that's not the point. :wink: )

And honestly, I think the dogs *NOT* knowing what the decoys were all about was a bit intimidating to the non-protection dogs. How many dogs would sit quietly while a large stay-puft person would walk up to their mom and just continue on their way with this puffy person guiding their moms?

I mean...the most proud I was all weekend was watching my little HA girly, Inara, sit quietly under the table while the decoys got rowdy during the "raid". :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » September 2nd, 2010, 8:19 pm

Michelle, I read the post but I guess I got confused and thought it was all one thing together. :oops: The pictures with the people (as Erin says) in the puffy suit would freak Kinzyl out :o Hell, she can't stand it when Glen comes over in his camo gear for duck hunting. :rolleyes2: As for healing, don't know about that either. I think she would be over there with Ruby rolling in the grass after she got wet. 8) Anyway, I have no clue how I would be able to do this but it sounds so fun. Something to dream about I guess :)

Sarah, I believe that Sammy would do anything for his favorite treat lady. :D

Thanks for everyone's explanations. Since I have never been to anything like this before it is all starting to make sense now.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » September 2nd, 2010, 8:30 pm

madremissy wrote:Thanks for everyone's explanations. Since I have never been to anything like this before it is all starting to make sense now.

Trust me, unless you've been to it, no one has ever been to anything like this before. :)

Well, unless you've been to Frost Bite or the Mad Maine tournaments... or the other ones inspired by this tournament. lol

But they are few and very very far between.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » September 2nd, 2010, 8:32 pm

Missy, here is last year's Beginner write up

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30795

See? It's completely different. :D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » September 2nd, 2010, 8:38 pm

I remember last years because that is when I started practicing opening the umbrella around her. :dance: I do see how the different each thing is. :)

It really does look like fun.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby furever_pit » September 2nd, 2010, 9:17 pm

Great pictures and write up!
I really want to make it to the DSO one year. It looks like a blast!
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amalie79 » September 2nd, 2010, 9:37 pm

That looks like a ton of fun-- it's like Ultimate X-treme Rally-O!! lol
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 2nd, 2010, 9:44 pm

I don't practice much obedience with my gang...we crammed a bit before the DSO...but we figured what the hell...let's go for it! And it was tons of fun...and we'll be back next year!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby geisthexe » September 3rd, 2010, 8:08 am

TheRedQueen wrote:I don't practice much obedience with my gang...we crammed a bit before the DSO...but we figured what the hell...let's go for it! And it was tons of fun...and we'll be back next year!

I was pretty much the same as I didnt train either of my dogs that I brought to the event b/c I was just moving to Michigan. So having HOT weather & packing then the big drive .. dogs got to be lazy .. so I was truly proud of what they complished.

Congrats to all that attended the event .. All dogs did great ... exspecially b/c at most events I have been at there has been dog fits and at this one NONE :dance:
~!~ Deb ~!~
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesnt merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
geisthexe
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » September 3rd, 2010, 9:31 am

Here's the video I took of John and Sawyer competing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM2vcINzZRs

TheRedQueen

Previous

Return to Sports