Looking for Springpole info...

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Pitcrew » July 4th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Hey guys... I know alot of you have springpoles...

I havent quite gotten around to making one yet. (my poor abused bullies)

Could you guys post pics of yours and how you made them (materials, etc.)? Advantages and disadvantages of different styles? I would love to see action shots of your dogs using them too!

I would love to see different peoples ideas.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » July 5th, 2006, 6:20 am

Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Pitcrew » July 5th, 2006, 8:07 pm

I thought I heard (maybe read) of some way to make one using PVC pipe. It sounded to me like a tether-ball pole. Didnt see a pic though... dont know length or thickness of the pvc.

Anyone heard of this?

No good action shots of dogs using them?
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 5th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Inara's was made with a garage door spring strung up to a tree, and a rope toy from Petsmart. Total cost about $30.

Image :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Cuda » July 6th, 2006, 2:07 pm

PVC pipe for the most part is WAYYYYY to flexible. There are some really thick walled PVC pipes out there but they are going to be really expensive as they are used for HIGH pressure lines. I personally would stick with wood.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BigBadBite » August 2nd, 2006, 10:57 pm

what is the purpose of the spring pole Kellie
kellie
BigBadBite
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 2nd, 2006, 11:20 pm

BigBadBite wrote:what is the purpose of the spring pole Kellie

Exercise.

It works their entire body, from the jaw to the rear end. A tired bully is a happy bully!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » August 3rd, 2006, 8:39 am

Lisa: a spring pole hangs down with a spring or strong bungy that you attach a rope to and something for them to bite and tug on. A virtual tug of war if you will.

The PVC you mentioned is used for a "flirt pole". A length of pipe then some rope then the tug. You let them chase and jump after it. Great exercise.

Scroll down: http://www.geocities.com/psidogswebsite ... Poles.html
Romanwild
I live here

Postby blayzeingsun » October 25th, 2006, 1:56 pm

Can someone post a good picture of a spring pole? One without a tree we don't have any trees and we also don't have the internet at home so I am trying to explain to my husband what I want to "build" and he is extremely skeptical of my abilities in that area lol! Anyway I have searched it out on the internet but haven't been able to find much any help would be apprecieated.
Thanks!
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 25th, 2006, 2:11 pm

We bolted a heavy-weight U-shaped bar into the garage ceiling on an upstairs floor joist. We then took a length of chain and hooked it to the bar with a load-bearing caribeaner. A small (12") heavy spring was attached to the end of the chain with another load-bearing caribeaner and we used a length of rope and an old pair of jeans attached to the end of the spring. Shorty LOVES it!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blayzeingsun » October 25th, 2006, 2:21 pm

We rent our house...did it do any damage to the joist? or could she possibly damage it by weight ect...i don't know anything about house construction lol. But that is a good alternative for the winter time it sounds like!
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 25th, 2006, 2:42 pm

It's an exposed joist and (so far) no damage. She pulls and yanks on that toy like a maniac, too. As long as the joist is solid and shows no water, bug, or other damage, you should be good to go!

We don't have any low tree branches to use for a springpole, which is why we chose the garage.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blayzeingsun » October 25th, 2006, 2:50 pm

How much does your dog weigh?
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » October 25th, 2006, 3:03 pm

Shorty is about 35 pounds. I had our 80-pounder, Mac, swing off of it a few times and there wasn't any damage. He doesn't like the springpole -- he'd rather destroy toys.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blayzeingsun » October 25th, 2006, 3:14 pm

yeah I'm not sure if River will like this but it's definitly worth a shot! She's 61lbs. so it should be fine. much easier than trying to figure out how to create something to cement into the ground. especially cuz we would have to dig it up whenever we were to move or whatever. Thanks!
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Return to Sports